IGNORED

Heard this a few times from visiting supporters...

spudski

45 minutes ago, RedM said:

Yes my experience of the Dolman is similar, maybe not the first to start songs but certainly join in and are as passionate and vocal than any in the singing section

Well said @RedM your description and types of people matches my experience too, perhaps you're B block as well - there is a complete cross section around me, every age, kids, men and women, I literally could not generalise other than by support.

The Dolman being boring or moaning is a bit of an OTIB meme, and we join in with the self-deprecation - but it's bollocks really. I hear zero moaning, by comparison to OTIB as a cross section, the people near me are always universally positive and upbeat.

Yes the atmosphere around us suffered when S82 moved from the Atyeo (we used to be the natural extension of their noise) and it has been flat a lot this season, but it still gets going at times as it did on Saturday. And these are all long term City fans too.

Oh the original point @spudski - go to any away game in the country, and it doesn't matter if away fans are in another postcode, some of them will still find the players entrance and applaud their players off the coach. There are City fans that do it every week.

So I respectfully call bollocks on the Derby fans description too. They may well be excited about how the day went, but inventing advantages from cheering the team off the coach is ridiculous. As for intimidating, remind me which grounds actually still are?

@Olé, I’m the other end, E29 or in old money F. 

And yes the only thing the Derby fans had Right was it was appalling we put Aston.

If I’m away and see the coach arriving I sometimes go for a look, usually just to try to guess the team. The players are focused and never stop for a chat which is fair enough, LJ always does though, he will speak to everybody and thanks them for coming etc. You are right it’s not unusual for away fans to be given access to players before and after. Some places have the coach drive in and then lock gates so fans can’t get close, Ipswich, Barnsley etc but even then LJ came over to the gates. 

Derby are a bit weird in the fact they have a manager who is more famous than they are, some opposition fans are interested in him, not them. Similar was Terry at Villa.

I've always thought of our fans as the '10 second chanters'. Before moving abroad I had a ST in the South stand and although there was always a few of us who started to sing it died out fairly quickly whereas when I went away the singing and chanting was so much louder and better. 

59 minutes ago, Olé said:

Well said @RedM your description and types of people matches my experience too, perhaps you're B block as well - there is a complete cross section around me, every age, kids, men and women, I literally could not generalise other than by support.

The Dolman being boring or moaning is a bit of an OTIB meme, and we join in with the self-deprecation - but it's bollocks really. I hear zero moaning, by comparison to OTIB as a cross section, the people near me are always universally positive and upbeat.

Yes the atmosphere around us suffered when S82 moved from the Atyeo (we used to be the natural extension of their noise) and it has been flat a lot this season, but it still gets going at times as it did on Saturday. And these are all long term City fans too.

Oh the original point @spudski - go to any away game in the country, and it doesn't matter if away fans are in another postcode, some of them will still find the players entrance and applaud their players off the coach. There are City fans that do it every week.

So I respectfully call bollocks on the Derby fans description too. They may well be excited about how the day went, but inventing advantages from cheering the team off the coach is ridiculous. As for intimidating, remind me which grounds actually still are?

All about opinions mate...all good ?

21 hours ago, spudski said:

... 6th post down with pic. https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32101-bristol-city-vs-derby-county/page/53/#comments

'Far too nice and welcoming'... not surprised when you are surrounded by away fans on your own patch.

Obviously not the ones being pelted with bottles afterwards then.

Having said that AG is far too welcoming to away fans and that is exactly how the club wants it to be. Problem with that is despite those who lobby that a packed Atyeo with away fans makes for a better atmosphere the fact is they are able to stand and generate support for their team and hostility towards ours whereas home fans are encouraged to sit and keep agricultural language to themselves meaning that 2,600 often drowns out the home, disparate support.

It will never change and that is why AG is hardly a fortress.

Interesting discussion this one and something me my mates chat endlessly about.

The short answer is that what Derby have said is largely true and its never going to be resolved until the Atyeo is replaced with a proper home end - ideally with safe standing. The South Stand is designed to be a Family Stand and having S.82 shoved in the corner in there doesn't really work - despite them giving it a proper go.

Thing is you cannot really blame the club. Attracting a family element and yes, 'middle class fans', is vital in this day and age - as this demographic spend serious £££ in the stadium on a match day and it also attracts big sponsors etc. As a result setting up the Stadium as it is currently, makes a lot of sense - as Jaquinta Carington-Smythe on her first trip down the hill from Clifton to the 'footie', is hardly going to be phased by the experience and can have a thoroughly pleasant time. Lets be honest, this demographic never went near the pace in the 90's and sharing the Gate with the rugby certainly helps in this regard

Unfortunately, what this means is that we are pretty much a three legged table at home, corporates, family, 'sit and clap' all v well catered for - with arguably the most important leg - the young vociferous support, either dispersed around the ground or shoved into the corner.

I can understand that the idea of hordes of KWBB roaming around the Gate cause the suits cold sweats but we really need to solve this issue, if we are ever going to be Premier League off the pitch.

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

Obviously not the ones being pelted with bottles afterwards then.

Having said that AG is far too welcoming to away fans and that is exactly how the club wants it to be. Problem with that is despite those who lobby that a packed Atyeo with away fans makes for a better atmosphere the fact is they are able to stand and generate support for their team and hostility towards ours whereas home fans are encouraged to sit and keep agricultural language to themselves meaning that 2,600 often drowns out the home, disparate support.

It will never change and that is why AG is hardly a fortress.

I agree and I disagree.

On the home fans sit v away fans stand thing, my understanding is that football in the UK last 10 years say has evolved that way, far easier to let away fans stand in the main because there's a lot of them and the crucial thing is they're only there once, tops 2 or 3 times a year- say Cup draws, playoffs etc but nonetheless they aren't there so often. Whereas season tickets- you have to obey or your ticket maybe revoked in extremis- way its evolved with clubs, police, safety officers etc I think it's along these lines- seen as easier to control, to encourage to sit and this isn't just a City specific thing IMO.

OTOH, the club still has leeway, still has choices- doesn't have to always enforce to the letter let's say on standing at the back of the Dolman or standing at the back of the South Stand- an idea though its imperfect might be that fans at the back can get a bit of noise cascading down and people joining in albeit sat most of the time, they have something to join in with. It's not an ideal system but some leeway in so far as the club/stewards- and it can even differ with individual stewards incidentally, some may have a different perspective on fans standing up the top to others. Some may see it as e.g. 'All-seater, therefore all must sit' whereas others may take the view of 'Well, it's no problem- why worry standing up the back. Are they blocking a gangway? No! Are they blocking views? No! So let it be'.

Personally, see it as a bit of both.

Bigger singing section wouldn't go amiss either- also truly restrict away to 2,600, 2,700 and have as many as possible in the Atyeo after segregation etc as per Saturday! Proximity to away fans can always help with atmosphere tbh.

24 minutes ago, red'tili'mdead said:

Interesting discussion this one and something me my mates chat endlessly about.

The short answer is that what Derby have said is largely true and its never going to be resolved until the Atyeo is replaced with a proper home end - ideally with safe standing. The South Stand is designed to be a Family Stand and having S.82 shoved in the corner in there doesn't really work - despite them giving it a proper go.

Thing is you cannot really blame the club. Attracting a family element and yes, 'middle class fans', is vital in this day and age - as this demographic spend serious £££ in the stadium on a match day and it also attracts big sponsors etc. As a result setting up the Stadium as it is currently, makes a lot of sense - as Jaquinta Carington-Smythe on her first trip down the hill from Clifton to the 'footie', is hardly going to be phased by the experience and can have a thoroughly pleasant time. Lets be honest, this demographic never went near the pace in the 90's and sharing the Gate with the rugby certainly helps in this regard

Unfortunately, what this means is that we are pretty much a three legged table at home, corporates, family, 'sit and clap' all v well catered for - with arguably the most important leg - the young vociferous support, either dispersed around the ground or shoved into the corner.

I can understand that the idea of hordes of KWBB roaming around the Gate cause the suits cold sweats but we really need to solve this issue, if we are ever going to be Premier League off the pitch.

Well said.

I see what BS wants but they can't have it all. Many clubs appear to manage away fans with courtesy but puts their own first, encouraging noisy, unlawful standing support in the "cheap seats". I have heard lots of comments about how difficult it would be to house away fans in the upper Lansdown, but i'm not sure it has been considered. fans are allowed to mingle right outside it without it seems any agro, so that stand is the ideal location to place visitors, handing back the Atyeo so that our team attacks home support each half.

I think LJ alluded to the benefits of that, but I stand to be corrected.

20 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Quite frankly the atmosphere down AG is pretty shite. Go and sit in the Lansdown for one game and see for yourself. It is like a library most of the game. Hardly anything for away teams to be fearful off!

Wouldn't ever expect a lot from the Lansdown tbh. Not really a raucous demographic, nor is it aimed at such, or priced at such.

Dolman can be. Behind the goal usually good for atmosphere. Partly down to demographic changes, prices, regulations etc over last 10, 20, 30 years...many reasons that aren't just City exclusive.

Yet sometimes we don't help ourselves. Gave the example before but when it is a 1.30pm kick off on a Sunday and I know it isn't a great slot, the excuses can be in early on here about the atmosphere on a Sunday. Didn't hear any such problems when up North on the weekend, listening to Leeds-Aston Villa. 1.30pm? Pah try midday...on a Sunday at that! For a 5th Round tie vs likely the best outside the top 6 in Wolves, 1pm Sunday or not? it really wasn't great- forgetting even the fact we owed them one for the game at the end of 2017!

Oh yeah and I forgot to add- we were on the best winning run in England if not Europe's top 6 or 7 Leagues at that time- 9 on the spin or every game in 2019, whatever it was. Place even for 1pm on a Sunday v Wolves a side like Wolves who derailed our season in 17/18 with their last minute winner, 5th Round Cup? Should've been jumping!

Matt Busby once said.

"You'll never get a full house to watch a poor team in a perfect stadium. But you'll sell out every game, to watch a great team playing on a refuse tip" Or words to that effect.

We have a team that nine times out of ten, is boring and we know from bitter experience over many years, that cheering them on does not bring the desired response - like a win against the Derby's and Villa's if this world. And we can't even do it against the Wigan's!

I sat in the Lansdown W11 on Saturday.

I thought Derby fans were superb, very loud, everyone singing, a variety of songs which never went on too long. I've been to quite a few away games, and we've never been as good as the Derby fans were yesterday.

In comparison I could hardly hear City chant, it was from I was sitting embarrassing. 

However I spoke to my old man after, and he said how good the atmosphere was in the South Stand so must be to do with acoustics. 

On 28/04/2019 at 13:24, italian dave said:

Still think we should have given away fans half the top tier of the Lansdown. 

Surely it isn’t too late to do this, but there’s no chance we will unless Lansdown is prepared to A) Charge away fans even more extortionate away ticket prices or B) Reduce ticket prices for home fans in the same stand. Can’t see either happening personally.

On 28/04/2019 at 20:26, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, know what you mean. Some excellent range of food, drink- comfier seats in most of the ground than 5-10, 20 years ago.

Yet...something is lacking. We've had a couple of exceptional and some good atmospheres last 2 years or so- would also add the run in games v Huddersfield, Wolves and Barnsley 2017 against the drop decent. QPR so so. Seems more of an exception than a rule now.

Off to Millwall away Tuesday night. They create a good atmosphere, so too do our away fans.

Unless they've upgraded since last year though...very basic facilities! :laughcont:

I was hoping for a Crystal Palace play off type atmosphere on Saturday but it was quite flat again.  Section 82 give it a really good go but it’s not that loud from where I sit in the Dolman.  Don’t think we will see a massive improvement in atmosphere until we move S82 away from the corner.  

On a side note, why don’t we sing the Tom Thumb’s Tune anymore?  We need to sing our own anthems more!

1 hour ago, The Wild Bunch said:

On a side note, why don’t we sing the Tom Thumb’s Tune anymore?  We need to sing our own anthems more!

Superb point - the Tom Thumb theme was superb and unique to us - nothing better than belting it out pre match in some northern outpost! Those really were the days! 

Now? We just copy Palace, Man Utd and even Lincoln! Not much is unique anymore regarding our chants ....

We all knock the premier league and their plastics etc, but I can guarentee the fans don’t take shit like we do down here. Have a look at how many fans you see standing for the majority of those games. All comes down to passion, if enough people do it it’s just a big **** you to the suits and safety bellends. Rant over.

Anyway, standing will be back in a couple of years which will completely change the dynamics of football yet again. Do the suits want it, almost definitely not. Fan power will prevail. 

A survey of 100 MPs shows 2/3 in favour of safe standing. Saw this in the paper the other day.

Extrapolated, yes that'll happen.

@jaydee=inspiration

Dunno about that- may depend on club though. Google Sunderland season tickets suspended persistent standing 2012.

B50QvZlCcAAgL-n?format=jpg&name=small

Away fans they stand enmasse I'll agree..assumed it was traditional but some games I've been to with City- and I don't get to many away in all honesty- it isn't the case. Oh plus Tottenham have already suspended some for persistent standing at their new ground so the picture is more nuanced etc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47915073

My personal view? it's long overdue. Behind each goal, should be up to 100% of seats adapted for safe standing.

Archived