IGNORED

Strikers for next season ?

kiwicolin

Who would be on the shopping list ? 

Now Steve Lansdown won't be paying out silly money for them . I would like  

Matěj Vydra , as he is a proven goal scorer in this division.  Not scoring for Burnley but could be prized away. 

I don't want the likes of Gray or Gayle,  who turned us down this season. 

Any of the League One'ers good enough to step up? J Collins? L Taylor? The latter has certainly threatened to be decent for a number of years.

Otherwise looking down the list of Championship top scorers the first one that looks potentially achieveable to us is McBurnie at Swansea.

I'm sure it'd be another foreign signing we've never heard of.

23 minutes ago, kiwicolin said:

Matěj Vydra , as he is a proven goal scorer in this division.  Not scoring for Burnley but could be prized away. 

The story goes that Gray was coming to us but we tried to renegotiate the deal after Cotts went on holiday and Brentford told us to do one .

Gayle had better options than a newly promoted third division club with half a ground .

In any case they weren’t approached this season to my , limited, knowledge.

They didn’t turn us down as such and now we are in a much better position to attract  players of their quality.

Gregor Greg McGregor believes that we will go back in for Oompaloompah of Boro.

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

The story goes that Gray was coming to us but we tried to renegotiate the deal after Cotts went on holiday and Brentford told us to do one .

Gayle had better options than a newly promoted third division club with half a ground .

In any case they weren’t approached this season to my , limited, knowledge.

They didn’t turn us down as such and now we are in a much better position to attract  players of their quality.

Gregor Greg McGregor believes that we will go back in for Oompaloompah of Boro.

He isn't happy there fell out with pulis earlier in season 

(Waits for the “we don’t need a new striker, we have Matty Taylor” comment) ?

Seriously thou, we’ve tried the L1 approach (Eisa) only to be told these players need at least 1 season to learn the teams tactics/play so let’s just get someone already at this level - a pacey, off the shoulder poacher. 

54 minutes ago, kiwicolin said:

I think we have to look for the “next Pukki”, do some proper scouting abroad and get us a goal scorer on the cheap (or relatively cheap), you just know Burnley would demand at least £10m for Vydra (that’s what they bought him for and his current value, per Transfermarkt, is £9.5m) such is the way over here. 

I’ve always had my eye on another Finn, Joel Pohjanpalo, at Leverkusen. Recently had a big injury and, at 24, not sure he’s much in Leverkusen’s plans. Similarly in Germany, Aron Johansson is out of contract this year, always been a decent poacher him. I’d rather we made “proven” (at least at some “high level”) signings this season instead of spaffing another million on someone from League 2.  

16 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

I think we have to look for the “next Pukki”, do some proper scouting abroad and get us a goal scorer on the cheap (or relatively cheap), you just know Burnley would demand at least £10m for Vydra (that’s what they bought him for and his current value, per Transfermarkt, is £9.5m) such is the way over here. 

I’ve always had my eye on another Finn, Joel Pohjanpalo, at Leverkusen. Recently had a big injury and, at 24, not sure he’s much in Leverkusen’s plans. Similarly in Germany, Aron Johansson is out of contract this year, always been a decent poacher him. I’d rather we made “proven” (at least at some “high level”) signings this season instead of spaffing another million on someone from League 2.  

All well and good. But for every pukki there have been countless Scandinavian players who haven't cut it at this level.....remember Gustav Engvall?

1 minute ago, Lez said:

All well and good. But for every pukki there have been countless Scandinavian players who haven't cut it at this level.....remember Gustav Engvall?

To be bloody fair, Engvall was never even given a bloody chance.

We’ve had more Brits from our league, and the lowers, who haven’t cut it. Just this season alone! 

Cant rule out an entire region cause of one player, can we? Look at Eliasson, arguably one of our best players.

9 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

To be bloody fair, Engvall was never even given a bloody chance.

We’ve had more Brits from our league, and the lowers, who haven’t cut it. Just this season alone! 

Cant rule out an entire region cause of one player, can we? Look at Eliasson, arguably one of our best players.

We can when we have better on our doorstep.....assombalonga for a start.

I wish everyone would give up on the idea of assombalonga. Would take a significant transfer fee and wages and we could get much better value for money.

Bowen, maupay, che Adams, are the type we should be going for if you want to chuck money around. Players with goals as well as quality and work rate. All four suggestions however are likely out of reach so well probs have to look abroad for value. Lower leagues haven't proven to be fruitful as Marty Taylor isn't good enough, I don't see eisa being good enough or even getting a chance.

for me, a young prem loan like nketiah to complement diedhiou, Weimann and semenyo would work

4 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

I wish everyone would give up on the idea of assombalonga. Would take a significant transfer fee and wages and we could get much better value for money.

Bowen, maupay, che Adams, are the type we should be going for if you want to chuck money around. Players with goals as well as quality and work rate. All four suggestions however are likely out of reach so well probs have to look abroad for value. Lower leagues haven't proven to be fruitful as Marty Taylor isn't good enough, I don't see eisa being good enough or even getting a chance.

for me, a young prem loan like nketiah to complement diedhiou, Weimann and semenyo would work

Che Adams will be double the price of assombalonga as would Bowen. Adams had a 13 million bid turned down in January and Spurs pulled out last minute on Bowen......assombolanga is no longer seen in the same breath as these guys amongst clubs.

2 minutes ago, Lez said:

Che Adams will be double the price of assombalonga as would Bowen. Adams had a 13 million bid turned down in January and Spurs pulled out last minute on Bowen......assombolanga is no longer seen in the same breath as these guys amongst clubs.

Assombalonga literally has a current market value of £10m and is a regular at Boro. They ain’t selling for anything less than £13-£15m I’d say. 

Not talking cost directly as whoever we go for will command a decent fee but I'm more reflecting on the type of striker we need. Yes one that will score goals, but we need intelligence, quality and work rate too, all of which Bowen, Adams and maupay have over assombalonga. That and they will likely be on less wages currently too.

id say splash out more on a high quality creative midfielder and defensive midfielder and get a loan striker from prem like nketiah

Just now, daored said:

I would like us to look at Grant from Huddersfield. Scored goals in league 1 and done reasonably well since moving from Charlton. Can’t see him being excessive transfer fee or wages

A great signing that, he'll stay at Huddersfield and bag lots next season.

1 minute ago, daored said:

I would like us to look at Grant from Huddersfield. Scored goals in league 1 and done reasonably well since moving from Charlton. Can’t see him being excessive transfer fee or wages

He literally just moved there in January, won't happen in a month of Sundays.

I wanted us to signed him before that transfer happened though

5 minutes ago, nickolas said:

My money ( well, SL’s ), is on a french striker from Ligue 2. 

Dont know any but we have previous, and also its far cheaper than the ‘names’ already in this country. 

I have said this over and over again, Ligue 1 in France isn’t great quality and ligue 2 is really poor with ‘ village teams ‘ making up the majority of clubs .

I’m not saying that there aren’t any quality players to be had there but don’t fall into the trap of thinking it is the French equivalent of the Championship.

Archived