IGNORED

Strikers for next season ?

kiwicolin

Two issues.

Would you see FD staying and being supported by another striker or will he be moved on if the club can recoup fee ?

Seymeno was recalled ( on SL instructions or not) and he is going to be one hell of a player.  A full pre season with us .  Remember all those pundits drooling over him and stories, fake news or not, that he  was a Chelsea bound.

I can see FD, AS, and AW plus an incoming as our strike force in 2019  The dice may be rolled

35 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I have said this over and over again, Ligue 1 in France isn’t great quality and ligue 2 is really poor with ‘ village teams ‘ making up the majority of clubs .

I’m not saying that there aren’t any quality players to be had there but don’t fall into the trap of thinking it is the French equivalent of the Championship.

Definitely not. But did Kodjia and big Dave not ply their trade there?

not the worst strikers weve ever seen and certainly not £15m for some overrated ones here! SL just isnt going to pay that imo. 

Its a case of cheaper foreign players or up and coming ones from here. Either way a gamble. 

2 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Two issues.

Would you see FD staying and being supported by another striker or will he be moved on if the club can recoup fee ?

Seymeno was recalled ( on SL instructions or not) and he is going to be one hell of a player.  A full pre season with us .  Remember all those pundits drooling over him and stories, fake news or not, that he  was a Chelsea bound.

I can see FD, AS, and AW plus an incoming as our strike force in 2019  The dice may be rolled

Agree but keep hearing about the missing 3 from last summer, which is crap, Bobby  being the only one truly missed.  

What we have needs a good shake up, from the top down, we don’t offer enough of a threat to frighten defenders - personnel and tactics lacking

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

The story goes that Gray was coming to us but we tried to renegotiate the deal after Cotts went on holiday and Brentford told us to do one .

Gayle had better options than a newly promoted third division club with half a ground .

In any case they weren’t approached this season to my , limited, knowledge.

They didn’t turn us down as such and now we are in a much better position to attract  players of their quality.

Gregor Greg McGregor believes that we will go back in for Oompaloompah of Boro.

That’s true about grey, we also ****** up the harry maguire transfer by trying to be clever after a deal was agreed 

4 minutes ago, dave36 said:

How many of “the ones for the future” are we likely to see on the team sheets come pre season?

We really need a new front few to earn the respect of the defenders of next seasons opposition and some midfield relief for Marlon

Kelly and Semenyo definitely in the 18. Pring and Vyner potentially in the 18.

Brownhill was one for the future once. Nothing wrong with having young players with potential.

1 hour ago, Wade Wilson said:

To be bloody fair, Engvall was never even given a bloody chance.

We’ve had more Brits from our league, and the lowers, who haven’t cut it. Just this season alone! 

Cant rule out an entire region cause of one player, can we? Look at Eliasson, arguably one of our best players.

That bloke wasn't interested from the off.. wouldn't even accept a loan here.

Questionable attitude & I'm being kind.

44 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I have said this over and over again, Ligue 1 in France isn’t great quality and ligue 2 is really poor with ‘ village teams ‘ making up the majority of clubs .

I’m not saying that there aren’t any quality players to be had there but don’t fall into the trap of thinking it is the French equivalent of the Championship.

True. The bottom half of the top division ain't great either...

25 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Definitely not. But did Kodjia and big Dave not ply their trade there?

not the worst strikers weve ever seen and certainly not £15m for some overrated ones here! SL just isnt going to pay that imo. 

Its a case of cheaper foreign players or up and coming ones from here. Either way a gamble. 

As I said there are some quality players there but ligue 2 really isn’t very good.

Ligue 1 has a few top  clubs but generally it’s not even as good as the Championship.

The other consideration is the language and also  culture barriers . 

I wouldn’t dismiss bringing in players from France as the level of coaching is good from school level upwards but the game is less physical than here .

2 hours ago, Lez said:

Che Adams will be double the price of assombalonga as would Bowen. Adams had a 13 million bid turned down in January and Spurs pulled out last minute on Bowen......assombolanga is no longer seen in the same breath as these guys amongst clubs.

Poch said that was nonsense when asked in a press conference during Jan. Why the hell in would a club in the last 4 of the league and Champions League want Hull's striker?!!! 

I'd test Hull out with a 10 million pound bid. Same price Cardiff paid for Reid...

3 hours ago, kiwicolin said:

Who would be on the shopping list ? 

Now Steve Lansdown won't be paying out silly money for them . I would like  

Matěj Vydra , as he is a proven goal scorer in this division.  Not scoring for Burnley but could be prized away. 

I don't want the likes of Gray or Gayle,  who turned us down this season

Not saying we could get these, but why on earth would you not want these here?

4 hours ago, Wade Wilson said:

To be bloody fair, Engvall was never even given a bloody chance.

We’ve had more Brits from our league, and the lowers, who haven’t cut it. Just this season alone! 

Cant rule out an entire region cause of one player, can we? Look at Eliasson, arguably one of our best players.

Sorry , Engvall  was given plenty of chances to shine but didn't want it. He expected to be in the side from the start. You have to work to get in the side. Couldn't settle here so went out on loan back to his country.  In my opinion,  a waste of time .

5 minutes ago, kiwicolin said:

Sorry , Engvall  was given plenty of chances to shine but didn't want it. He expected to be in the side from the start. You have to work to get in the side. Couldn't settle here so went out on loan back to his country.  In my opinion,  a waste of time .

He literally played 4 games for us. 4, I think only one was a start. None of that is reason to write off signing another Scandinavian. I’m not even sure how that even applied to the two players I suggested since neither actually play in Scandinavia. 

Mobile footballers, that move constantly...creating space and can read a game. And who are natural goal scorers...who strike a ball cleanly.  Not big lumps to be aimed at.

I look at our Defenders and wing backs...the way our midfield play...and then look at our forward line. It's like oil and water. Our movement up front should be like how Liverpool and Spurs play, with mobility and movement. It's not...our front line lacks movement. And when it does, with the like of Weimann...our midfield are too slow to see it.

Our defence and midfield compliment one another...our front line is like that from a different team.

31 minutes ago, spudski said:

rrMobile footballers, that move constantly...creating space and can read a game. And who are natural goal scorers...who strike a ball cleanly.  Not big lumps to be aimed at.

I look at our Defenders and wing backs...the way our midfield play...and then look at our forward line. It's like oil and water. Our movement up front should be like how Liverpool and Spurs play, with mobility and movement. It's not...our front line lacks movement. And when it does, with the like of Weimann...our midfield are too slow to see it.

Our defence and midfield compliment one another...our front line is like that from a different team.

Liverpool may not be great comparison. The front line have a work rate that is murderous compared to Bristol City. Not only are they great footballers they are also physical machines with exceptionally high aerobic and anerobic capacities. 

The movement of Norwich's players is more of a parallel. Pukki runs channels. Players in behind (Stipermann) go east to west and play in half spaces. That movement was purchased cheaply targetted to fit a clearly defined style of football. Bristol City have spent more on numerous clubs in the bag .. And yes the front line is like a different team because it was purchased that way. 

32 minutes ago, spudski said:

Mobile footballers, that move constantly...creating space and can read a game. And who are natural goal scorers...who strike a ball cleanly.  Not big lumps to be aimed at.

Palmer Eliasson Weimann as a fluid front 3.

Pack-Brownhill and one of Smith or Walsh depending on opposition.

Eliasson will pull wider, Weimann can float along the front and behind it a bit and Palmer can really commit players.

Weimann has the great early runs, Eliasson can run at their full backs.

I think it'd be interesting to see.

@Cowshed On the Norwich comparison, always had Pukki down as similar to Reid of 17/18- fairish or?

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Palmer Eliasson Weimann as a fluid front 3.

Pack-Brownhill and one of Smith or Walsh depending on opposition.

Eliasson will pull wider, Weimann can float along the front and behind it a bit and Palmer can really commit players.

Weimann has the great early runs, Eliasson can run at their full backs.

I think it'd be interesting to see.

I don't think Palmer and Eliasson are good enough at this level to play as starters. Maybe influential Subs when players are tired. Eliasson is way too weak still to play as a starter.

Palmer is a flair player that isn't consistent enough.

We need an upgrade on both, or for them to up their understanding considerably imo.  Both squad players.

9 hours ago, kiwicolin said:

I don't want the likes of Gray or Gayle,  who turned us down this season. 

That was four years ago to be fair, but I wouldn’t say no to either of those, at this level they are very dangerous, not sure Gray is good enough to be a prem striker really, but would be fine in the championship ...... but we wouldn’t pay either of them the dosh they are probably on so it’s irrelevant really ...

Archived