IGNORED

One The Biggest Mistakes With Hindsight ....

numbeast

Was selling or not replacing Milan Djuric in the summer. He knew how to bully central defenders and even if he started on the bench I think he'd have made a difference.

We need to learn by our mistakes and I hope we will get a couple of new front men in and this will include a physical presence in the Djuric mold.

7 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Duric wanted to leave.

Should of been replaced though. So many games this season we have been peppering the oppositions goal late on and someone who could clear everything out to win the ball would of been a much better bet than Matty Taylor 

49 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Duric wanted to leave.

True, having made sure we paid for his 2 operations first he suddenly decided he was homesick.

Actually, LJ said early in the season that he didn't want to sell him but was told he had to if he wanted to have Kalas but stay within the wage budget he had been given.

These are the kinds of choices any City head coach is obliged to make. Sooner or later LJ may decide the constraints make it impossible to make further progress.

One way or another it could be the defining summer for LJ and the club alike.

1 hour ago, numbeast said:

Was selling or not replacing Milan Djuric in the summer. He knew how to bully central defenders and even if he started on the bench I think he'd have made a difference.

We need to learn by our mistakes and I hope we will get a couple of new front men in and this will include a physical presence in the Djuric mold.

Disagree.  Nobody else seems to have a a Djuric type so don’t see why we need him. A striker who doesn’t score goals

Famara does the job that Djuric did. He’s beefy, strong and bullies defenders - lots opposing managers have commented about what a handful Famara is.

So.....it wasn’t not replacing Djuric that was an issue,  it was not replacing 20 goals in Reid. LJ knew that but failed to get a striker in the notoriously difficult winter window for several different reasons.

No doubt at all that another striker is on LJ summer shopping list along with a creative midfielder. Both will of course cost serious money and demand a a hefty wedge......

16 minutes ago, Riaz said:

I don’t think that cost us.

i feel like we did very good business last summer... other than the Jack Hunt signing. He’s very average.

I am inclined to agree. How about the increasingly baffling signing of Watkins though?

Just now, RedDave said:

Was good for Barnsley. Wouldn’t say it was baffling. 

Given the number of wingers we have, LJ playing Weimann on the wing, his recent preference for wing backs and the lack of game time for Watkins since he has been fit I still don't see why we signed him.

At best he fills a place on the bench that could go to a young player.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Given the number of wingers we have, LJ playing Weimann on the wing, his recent preference for wing backs and the lack of game time for Watkins since he has been fit I still don't see why we signed him.

At best he fills a place on the bench that could go to a young player.

Different kind of winger to what we have got. Can cover up front and no plan to play wing backs when signed.  In hindsight it’s been a poor signing but that is why he was signed 

32 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Different kind of winger to what we have got. Can cover up front and no plan to play wing backs when signed.  In hindsight it’s been a poor signing but that is why he was signed 

Different kind of winger ?? It does seem that we had a fascination with wingers. Kent, Leko, Eliasson, Paterson , ODowda and Watkins. Not forgetting others who have played wide when the real wingers are left out. 
I'm hoping for more joined up thinking when it comes to recruitment this summer.

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

Different kind of winger ?? It does seem that we had a fascination with wingers. Kent, Leko, Eliasson, Paterson , ODowda and Watkins. Not forgetting others who have played wide when the real wingers are left out. 
I'm hoping for more joined up thinking when it comes to recruitment this summer.

You think all wingers are the same? Clearly Watkins is different to Elliason

36 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Fair comment. It seems LJ himself has decided he made a mistake given he can't get a game even with O'Dowda injured.

22 minutes ago, RedDave said:

You think all wingers are the same? Clearly Watkins is different to Elliason

No, not at all, they are ALL different. Just querying our infatuation with them, specially as we have played without any recently. 

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

No, not at all, they are ALL different. Just querying our infatuation with them, specially as we have played without any recently. 

One of the most baffling things that Lee Johnson says is that "we got our identity back" - usually when we've won or drawn.

For the life of me, I have no idea what our identity is as he rarely picks the same team or formation for two games in a row.  Our mix of "wingers" is part of that unpredictability.

I'm not having a pop at him, just can't work out what our identity actually is!

33 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Oh yeah definitely. Just need to get rid now as he is probably on £10k per week

Easier said than done  I think. Can't see teams lining up to sign him, and definitely not if we want our money back. 

16 minutes ago, Xiled said:

I'm not having a pop at him, just can't work out what our identity actually is!

I don’t think you’re the only one that doesn’t recognise our own ‘identity’...........:dunno:

I really like to hear LJs idea of what it actually is.

It would useful for Gregor McGregor or some other journalist to ask LJ to define it.

Archived