IGNORED

Why did we change formation?

pl00peh91

During our nine game winning streak I think the unanimous view was that Kalas and Webster were one of the best, if not the best, CB partnerships in the league.

LJ switched to 352 for Sheff Utd which was a successful tactical move to counter their system (which he also deployed successfully in the reverse fixture) and I can understand why he’d use the same formation for Boro away who are a playoff rival.

I am however a little perplexed as to why we continued with that system in circumstances where Webster was either being used in Korey Smith’s role or as part of a three with Baker or Wright. The timing to change system just a few games before the end of the season in hindsight seems to have been a mistake.

This isn’t an LJ out type post at all as I think he’s been fantastic at raising the overall standards however I feel that this issue could have caused or at least materially contributed to our significant dip in form since the West Brom game.

Why do you think he felt it necessary to change formation and break up the Kalas / Webster partnership after it had been so successful from January to March?

11 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

During our nine game winning streak I think the unanimous view was that Kalas and Webster were one of the best, if not the best, CB partnerships in the league.

LJ switched to 352 for Sheff Utd which was a successful tactical move to counter their system (which he also deployed successfully in the reverse fixture) and I can understand why he’d use the same formation for Boro away who are a playoff rival.

I am however a little perplexed as to why we continued with that system in circumstances where Webster was either being used in Korey Smith’s role or as part of a three with Baker or Wright. The timing to change system just a few games before the end of the season in hindsight seems to have been a mistake.

This isn’t an LJ out type post at all as I think he’s been fantastic at raising the overall standards however I feel that this issue could have caused or at least materially contributed to our significant dip in form since the West Brom game.

Why do you think he felt it necessary to change formation and break up the Kalas / Webster partnership after it had been so successful from January to March?

We had not won in 6 and then went 5-3-2 and beat Sheff united and Boro. Not surprising that he then used it a few times after that really is it 

I agree it's been a bit odd splitting up Webster and Kalas as the centre back pairing but in fairness we'd gone 6 games without a win the consensus then was that something needed to change.  The winning streak was long gone unfortunately.

34 minutes ago, Roe said:

I agree it's been a bit odd splitting up Webster and Kalas as the centre back pairing but in fairness we'd gone 6 games without a win the consensus then was that something needed to change.  The winning streak was long gone unfortunately.

I’m pretty sure it will be split up next season so maybe LJ thought we were being found out and wanted to try something else and help out a ragged midfield too, that something being other players introduced to see how they work together? Not saying I agree with it mind

1 hour ago, Roe said:

I thought Kalas in particular looked shaky on Saturday

The same formation of 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1 whatever you want to call it got us so far this season particularly away. Our away form was never bad before SU, it was a defeat to Norwich, good draw v Preston. Fair enough change the formation for SU but its totally bizarre we havent seen it since, away.

Archived