Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

“I see the East End rising!”


Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bloody good song in the first place....amazing how when I tune into Planet Rock, this song comes on.

A cracking tune, wonderful to belt out.

There are hundreds, thousands maybe, of great old tunes from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and before, that are ripe for adapting to singing at football. Must we always wait for one of the PL giants to sing it on the telly before we dare sing it ourselves?

How about we trawl the old greats - not difficult nowadays - ourselves and find our own "standard" to make our own? 

There is, to me, a bit of a sheep-like timidity, and conservatism, about our crowd/singers, a reluctance to be creative and original, a bit individual, take a risk, do our own thing, which is at odds with the creative output this city is known for. Too much led by what Man Utd/Liverpool/ Prem clubs do and too little determination to be precisely the opposite.

I might be doing S82 a slight disservice here and admit I am not itk as it were and up to date with all the current songs and their origins, so apologies to them if I've got them wrong.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

There are hundreds, thousands maybe, of great old tunes from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and before, that are ripe for adapting to singing at football. Must we always wait for one of the PL giants to sing it on the telly before we dare sing it ourselves?

How about we trawl the old greats - not difficult nowadays - ourselves and find our own "standard" to make our own? 

 

Go on then ....... 😜

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Awful song. Kills the atmosphere every time 

I disagree, I think it makes the atmosphere.

A lot better than some songs sung by other clubs, in particular that “I just don’t think you understand” shit, which is  sung by God knows how many sets of fans.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Harry said:

Go on then ....... 😜

Well I would, and I have, down the years, but as I said, the innate conservatism will, I suggest, prohibit any uptake of any left field songs or ideas, anything different or original, anything not originating from the looked-up-to and respected big Prem clubs' fans.

I don't mean to diminish the efforts of S82 who do a great job generally, but I think we lack the belligerent outsider mentality of Liverpool and Manchester - where a lot of the best and original fan songs come from - the determination not to be like everyone else, especially London and the south East. We're not really like that; not enough.

Seeing as you ask, though, in my head, "Old Man River" adapted to "Old Mud River" - an oldie about "hardship and struggle" and the indifference and of a nearby muddy, and unrelenting, river (plenty enough for us to relate to there); it's about perseverance and "keeping on" if not "to the end of the road" then at least, on and on (we'll support you evermore, if you like) - works, and might be a start, something  to work with. Kicks us off. It might lead to something better/more appropriate/a better fit.

As I say, it works for me, but I am not representative of the majority, and it's highly unlikely to be widely popular.

I'll pop in and sing it for you all in el rincon some time......

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the songs of the 2014 world cup!! Argentina fans had a field day with it in Brazil. 

Most journalists apparently came home with ear worm.

See here , 

translation:

Brazil, Tell Me How It Feels,

To Be Bossed Around In Your Own Home,

I Swear That Even If Years Pass,

We Will Never Forget,

That Diego [Maradona] Out-Skilled You,

That Cani [Claudio Caniggia] Surprised You,

You Are Crying Since Italy [World Cup 1990] Till Today,

You Are Going To See Messi,

The World Cup Will Be Ours,

Maradona Is Greater Than Pelé"

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

I disagree, I think it makes the atmosphere.

A lot better than some songs sung by other clubs, in particular that “I just don’t think you understand” shit, which is  sung by God knows how many sets of fans.

Its dreary and only sang by a small section.

Against wigan we had just gone 2-1 up and the gate was rocking. Then those behind me started singing this and it totally killed the atmosphere. Loads of us hate it.

I dont usually moan about what they sing, cos ultimately people can sing that they want. But they insist on singing it for about 15 minutes at a time and most dont like it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Its dreary and only sang by a small section.

Against wigan we had just gone 2-1 up and the gate was rocking. Then those behind me started singing this and it totally killed the atmosphere. Loads of us hate it.

I dont usually moan about what they sing, cos ultimately people can sing that they want. But they insist on singing it for about 15 minutes at a time and most dont like it.

I was just going to post it sounds dreary too. Maybe I have to experience it at an away game before I decide, but for now it sounds bland and too slow. No passion to it. Certainly doesn’t do much for me.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/04/2019 at 21:47, Moments of Pleasure said:

A cracking tune, wonderful to belt out.

There are hundreds, thousands maybe, of great old tunes from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and before, that are ripe for adapting to singing at football. Must we always wait for one of the PL giants to sing it on the telly before we dare sing it ourselves?

How about we trawl the old greats - not difficult nowadays - ourselves and find our own "standard" to make our own? 

There is, to me, a bit of a sheep-like timidity, and conservatism, about our crowd/singers, a reluctance to be creative and original, a bit individual, take a risk, do our own thing, which is at odds with the creative output this city is known for. Too much led by what Man Utd/Liverpool/ Prem clubs do and too little determination to be precisely the opposite.

I might be doing S82 a slight disservice here and admit I am not itk as it were and up to date with all the current songs and their origins, so apologies to them if I've got them wrong.

 

First 17 seconds of this video.  If you're of a certain age, you'll remember bouncing around the East End and when guesting at away locations to this one!  Under 35's just won't get this.  

:clap:"Gerry Gow, John Galley, Trevor Tainton, Ray Cashley der der der der, der der der,  der der"! :clap:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MurrayLives said:

After tonight I’m on a complete 180 on this chant. First few games I thought it was just a lazy Man Utd rip-off (which it still is) but just hit different tonight. Wow what an atmosphere, if Derby fail to win tomorrow I’ll be booking the train to Hull 👍🏻

I’m the same, like City, I think it’s a lot better away from home!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/04/2019 at 00:17, The turtle said:

One of the songs of the 2014 world cup!! Argentina fans had a field day with it in Brazil. 

Most journalists apparently came home with ear worm.

See here , 

translation:

Brazil, Tell Me How It Feels,

To Be Bossed Around In Your Own Home,

I Swear That Even If Years Pass,

We Will Never Forget,

That Diego [Maradona] Out-Skilled You,

That Cani [Claudio Caniggia] Surprised You,

You Are Crying Since Italy [World Cup 1990] Till Today,

You Are Going To See Messi,

The World Cup Will Be Ours,

Maradona Is Greater Than Pelé"

 

 

 

Much prefer it in Spanish.

Just need to add some City references, teach S82 Spanish, and hey presto! :laugh:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/04/2019 at 21:47, Moments of Pleasure said:

A cracking tune, wonderful to belt out.

There are hundreds, thousands maybe, of great old tunes from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and before, that are ripe for adapting to singing at football. Must we always wait for one of the PL giants to sing it on the telly before we dare sing it ourselves?

How about we trawl the old greats - not difficult nowadays - ourselves and find our own "standard" to make our own? 

There is, to me, a bit of a sheep-like timidity, and conservatism, about our crowd/singers, a reluctance to be creative and original, a bit individual, take a risk, do our own thing, which is at odds with the creative output this city is known for. Too much led by what Man Utd/Liverpool/ Prem clubs do and too little determination to be precisely the opposite.

I might be doing S82 a slight disservice here and admit I am not itk as it were and up to date with all the current songs and their origins, so apologies to them if I've got them wrong.

 

Often occurred to me that it’s odd that that we, or none of the other ‘City’s, ever made anything out of Stevie Wonder’s ‘Livin’ for the City’.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, red'tili'mdead said:

I like it and it was banging right out last night at S. Bermondsey Platform 2....

What I do not like or even understand is that weird Jill Dando song ?!? 

Which song is that?! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...