IGNORED

Avengers End Game

reddogkev

Watched it today, and my mind is literally blown away.  Cinematic master-class, what an epic film, with an incredible (and suitably) far-fetched, intense plot.

One thing I find phenomenal is how the writers manage to fit so many complex characters into one film, granted a bloody long film. 

Anyone else on here big Marvel fans, if so, have you seen it yet, what are your thoughts?

Just got back. Absolutely blown away.

Cannot believe how good it was and feel a bit sad that I don’t know if/when I will see a film to match that.

Even sadder to think so many will see it and be a bit meh about it as they have not seen every other film leading up to it and how they have all interlinked so well.

1 minute ago, Neo said:

Just got back. Absolutely blown away.

Cannot believe how good it was and feel a bit sad that I don’t know if/when I will see a film to match that.

Even sadder to think so many will see it and be a bit meh about it as they have not seen every other film leading up to it and how they have all interlinked so well.

Agree, and I struggle to imagine that any other film will compare to this, what an experience.

Still, at least we can give it a week and watch it a second time - another chance to be blown away all over again. 

My God, I almost struggled to hold myself together at the end.

Its literally obliterated the opening weekend records, already made over $1.2b worldwide, dare say Avatar needs to be worried?

Absolutely incredible film and for the 3hr run time and to never really feel like the film had a dull patch is incredible.

16 hours ago, Neo said:

I saw it on Saturday Night. I'm not a diehard MCU fan and haven't seen all of the films. Just considering "phase 3" I've not seen Captain Marvel, Ragnarok, Black Panther or Guardians Vol.2 but I did see Civil War, Infinity War, both Ant-Man films, Dr. Strange and the Spiderman films. I definitely didn't watch them all in order, and more than a few have been watched on aeroplanes with dodgy sound, picture and editing.

With that in mind I thought Endgame was pretty good. If the film can be considered as a series of 3 Acts (I won't specify when they start or end in order to avoid spoilers but I think those who have seen it will understand) then I would say that Act 1 and Act 3 are very good but Act 2 is weaker. For me enjoyment of Act 2 relied a little too much on having seen (and remembering) too many of the preceding 21 films.  It also dragged a little, and was a bit unwieldy as it was forced to hop around a few too many locations in an effort tie up the many threads it dealt with. I felt that it could have been trimmed down a little and that that would have improved the overall film. Having said that, I am sure the diehard fans loved Act 2 - certainly the periodic cheers from the teenagers in the cinema suggested that.

All of the above being said I did leave the cinema having enjoyed the film. It didn't feel like three hours and Act 3 was a tour de force of action, emotion, and payoff. My girlfriend is even less of an MCU fan than I and she also really enjoyed the film.

Don't feel too sad for people like me. Personally I am actually looking forward to catching up with some of the other films and watching them with the knowledge of what happens in Endgame will be a different, but not necessarily worse, experience than watching them as they came out would have been. I suspect that this would then lead to an enjoyable day watching Infinity War and Endgame back-to-back and getting more from them as a result.

Finally - Thor is the best thing in the whole MCU. Hemsworth steals every scene he is in.

Watched the double bill on Wednesday and the cinema was heaving like I have never seen. The film... well I was worried, 11 years, 22nd film I was set to be a little disappointed as how can you cap all that - then I sat there for 3 hours with my jaw resting on my chest, great film with so much going on. The re-watchability of this film will also be great (going again tomorrow myself). 

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I saw it on Saturday Night. I'm not a diehard MCU fan and haven't seen all of the films. Just considering "phase 3" I've not seen Captain Marvel, Ragnarok, Black Panther or Guardians Vol.2 but I did see Civil War, Infinity War, both Ant-Man films, Dr. Strange and the Spiderman films. I definitely didn't watch them all in order, and more than a few have been watched on aeroplanes with dodgy sound, picture and editing.

With that in mind I thought Endgame was pretty good. If the film can be considered as a series of 3 Acts (I won't specify when they start or end in order to avoid spoilers but I think those who have seen it will understand) then I would say that Act 1 and Act 3 are very good but Act 2 is weaker. For me enjoyment of Act 2 relied a little too much on having seen (and remembering) too many of the preceding 21 films.  It also dragged a little, and was a bit unwieldy as it was forced to hop around a few too many locations in an effort tie up the many threads it dealt with. I felt that it could have been trimmed down a little and that that would have improved the overall film. Having said that, I am sure the diehard fans loved Act 2 - certainly the periodic cheers from the teenagers in the cinema suggested that.

All of the above being said I did leave the cinema having enjoyed the film. It didn't feel like three hours and Act 3 was a tour de force of action, emotion, and payoff. My girlfriend is even less of an MCU fan than I and she also really enjoyed the film.

Don't feel too sad for people like me. Personally I am actually looking forward to catching up with some of the other films and watching them with the knowledge of what happens in Endgame will be a different, but not necessarily worse, experience than watching them as they came out would have been. I suspect that this would then lead to an enjoyable day watching Infinity War and Endgame back-to-back and getting more from them as a result.

Finally - Thor is the best thing in the whole MCU. Hemsworth steals every scene he is in.

If you're a fan of Thor - and I totally agree with you - then I'd definitely recommend watching Ragnarok. It's probably my favourite film in the MCU so far. 

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

If you're a fan of Thor - and I totally agree with you - then I'd definitely recommend watching Ragnarok. It's probably my favourite film in the MCU so far. 

I've heard it is great, and I do enjoy Thor - although I prefer his role in the main Avengers films as opposed to his solo films. I was waiting for Ragnarok to hit Netflix/Amazon. Or are Disney holding it back for their forthcoming streaming service? I presume once that launches all MCU films will be exclusively on Disney's platform?

8 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I've heard it is great, and I do enjoy Thor - although I prefer his role in the main Avengers films as opposed to his solo films. I was waiting for Ragnarok to hit Netflix/Amazon. Or are Disney holding it back for their forthcoming streaming service? I presume once that launches all MCU films will be exclusively on Disney's platform?

Yeah, Disney have pulled all the IP for their upcoming streaming services. It's a shame, though apparently the first year of Disney's channel is $69 - which let's be honest could be a bargain.

Thor: Ragnarok is one of my favourites as it feels like a cartoon. It has more of a Guardians Of the Galaxy look to it, and the humour amongst the death and destruction makes it feel totally different to most of the Marvel films.

54 minutes ago, Fiale said:

though apparently the first year of Disney's channel is $69 - which let's be honest could be a bargain

Could be, depending on the quality of the mini series they're producing for it as well.

46 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Wonder how this opens up the door for all future Marvel movies now. Evidently would appear Thor is going to appear in the next Guardians of The Galaxy, while rumoured to still have another solo movie. 

Written a potential movie idea in white below this incase anyone doesn't want to see it

The earthquake underwater? Anyone else think they're hinting at Namor? However  his movie rights are like the Hulk and he has to appear in someone else's movie, could well show in Black Panther 2.  think the Black Widow movie will feature a character who will then go on to feature more in the MCU, someone like Taskmaster. 

Another question for those more into the MCU than I. 

I know there's another spiderman film coming this summer. Other than that is there going to be a small lull in the production line? Perhaps a year or two without an MCU film coming out? 

I think we saw with star wars that sometimes less is more. Star wars tried putting out those "star wars stories" films and as I understand it audiences largely said "meh".

Possible hiatus?

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

I know there's another spiderman film coming this summer. Other than that is there going to be a small lull in the production line? Perhaps a year or two without an MCU film coming out? 

I think we saw with star wars that sometimes less is more. Star wars tried putting out those "star wars stories" films and as I understand it audiences largely said "meh".

Possible hiatus?

Nope no lull, the MCU has been operating on a 3 film per year schedule for the last few years now (having gone up from 2) and given there's been no drop off in box office numbers since it will continue. Marvel are holding off on announcing their full line up for phase 4 I think until after the new Spider-Man movie.

I think with the MCU compared to Marvel there is much less fatigue because of the range of stories that Marvel tells, you have a far wider range of characters and they mix up the genre of movie they produce, Winter Soldier was a political thriller, Ant-Man was a heist movie, Guardians being space based comedy, Thor Ragnarok was a buddy picture movie. Whereas you compare it to Star Wars, every film has been based around the 1 narrative of what has happened in Episode I to Episode (now) IX. Rogue One was a lead in to A New Hope, Solo was just poor but included main characters. I'm optimistic about the new Star Wars trilogy that's rumoured to be in development as it will be the time its based in to the old republic (like the game) which is 3600 years before the events in the films now. I also like the look of the Mandalorian tv show they're making.

21 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Ragnarok is nothing like Thor 1 and 2. The first two Thor films would be very low down on my list, Ragnarok is right up at the top.

1 hour ago, hodge said:

I think with the MCU compared to Marvel there is much less fatigue because of the range of stories that Marvel tells, you have a far wider range of characters and they mix up the genre of movie they produce, Winter Soldier was a political thriller, Ant-Man was a heist movie, Guardians being space based comedy, Thor Ragnarok was a buddy picture movie. Whereas you compare it to Star Wars, every film has been based around the 1 narrative of what has happened in Episode I to Episode (now) IX. Rogue One was a lead in to A New Hope, Solo was just poor but included main characters. I'm optimistic about the new Star Wars trilogy that's rumoured to be in development as it will be the time its based in to the old republic (like the game) which is 3600 years before the events in the films now. I also like the look of the Mandalorian tv show they're making.

I thought something along these lines as soon as I'd posted.

You're right about how Marvel mixes up the genres despite all the films ultimately being "Superhero" films. Even just in the films I have seen you have Homecoming which is kind of a coming of age film, versus the melodrama of Civil War and the almost high-concept sci-fi of Dr Strange. It's good. 

Also, thanks for all the Ragnarok tips. That's going to first place on my "To Watch" list.

Whilst everyone is here - how's Captain Marvel? I'll be honest I didn't love the character in Endgame. Spoilerish chat in white now, so highlight to read it if you've seen Endgame (or is this thread a spoiler chat area?). She seems...almost problematically powerful. In order to build a plot in Act I and II of Endgame the writers basically have to run the line of "Oh she can't help because she's very far away doing other stuff". They run that line until our heroes are in dire need of help...when she suddenly returns like the LOTR eagles to easily take down a massive bloody spaceship by flying straight through it! This is on top of her magically appearing to save Stark and Nebula at the beginning of the film. Honestly she seems like a bit of a cheat character, essentially acting as a get out of jail card for whenever the writers have our heroes in ultimate peril. Therefore...where is there ever going to be any real peril again? Edit: I guess she has some sort of Kryptonite?

On 30/04/2019 at 13:41, ExiledAjax said:

Possible hiatus?

As @hodge said the films are being churned out at 3 a year. One of them is a Avengers movie with 2 being a solo or team movie Guardians of the Galaxy. Spiderman is not actually a Marvel film, Sony bought the rights to the character and have been making the films (Amy Pascal), they however share Spiderman so they can get him into the Avengers movies, so Sony benefit from the Marvel/Disney Spiderman exposure in those films.... all very weird but it seems to work.

On 30/04/2019 at 19:29, WarksRobin said:

I enjoyed Captain Marvel. Good movie and subverts expectations

I enjoyed it until the end, Captain Marvel has the Superman problem - when the chars are that powerful they have no real threat.

2 minutes ago, Fiale said:

As @hodge said the films are being churned out at 3 a year. One of them is a Avengers movie with 2 being a solo or team movie Guardians of the Galaxy. Spiderman is not actually a Marvel film, Sony bought the rights to the character and have been making the films (Amy Pascal), they however share Spiderman so they can get him into the Avengers movies, so Sony benefit from the Marvel/Disney Spiderman exposure in those films.... all very weird but it seems to work.

It is a Marvel film (as in made by Marvel) but its distributed by Sony and they get the profits from it, think Marvel still get the toy sales from it etc. 

1 hour ago, hodge said:

It is a Marvel film (as in made by Marvel) but its distributed by Sony and they get the profits from it, think Marvel still get the toy sales from it etc. 

yeah Sony Pictures finance, distribute, and have creative control over the film, and it's made by Amy Pascal's studio company - so it's a very weird setup.

7 hours ago, Fiale said:

and have creative control over the film

Pretty sure Marvel have creative control over the Spider-Man movies, can't see Kevin Feige letting Sony control the narrative in his cinematic universe. In interviews for homecoming Feige said Marvel were behind the creative decisions.

3 hours ago, hodge said:

Pretty sure Marvel have creative control over the Spider-Man movies, can't see Kevin Feige letting Sony control the narrative in his cinematic universe. In interviews for homecoming Feige said Marvel were behind the creative decisions.

Apparently Marvel have the creative lead and Sony the final creative say. After the failure of Sony's own reboot I am sure they were happy to fund and reap the benefits of a Marvel film all but name, it also helps them with there kick into Superhero movies like Venom and the Black Cat and silver sable film they are looking to make (not sure there is audience for it, but we shall see).

Archived