IGNORED

Pub for tomorrow afternoon

Bubble

I’m not sure London Bridge is the best really. It depends when you’re getting there and how — we get into Paddington AM so will be making our way through London. I’ve found London Bridge is expensive (as are most places in London) and generally not great.

Will be stopping off at Putney I imagine. 

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Dickens Inn,  st. Katherines Docks (not been there for a few years but used to be ok).

Or across the river in Rotherhithe the Mayflower.

Both on the river - expensive, but aint it all in that there London.

If you are looking for a nice lunch - the food in The Dickens is expensive and not the best - try the Indian just behind it, i.e. walking towards The Dickens, skirt it and you will see the Indian in front of you.

I forget what it is called, but the restaurant is very clean and the food/service excellent. It's not expensive, either.

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oh?

Only been once granted but seemed alright I thought that day. Surely it's where decent numbers congregate, bringing with it good atmosphere pre game etc.

I've been a few times. I'm not keen on it personally, it's ridiculously expensive, the police try and kettle you into one pub and I just think given you're in London there are better places to drink. If you've any decent pubs to recommend around that area though I'd be more than happy to try it tomorrow.

2 hours ago, BessexRED said:

I’m not sure London Bridge is the best really. It depends when you’re getting there and how — we get into Paddington AM so will be making our way through London. I’ve found London Bridge is expensive (as are most places in London) and generally not great.

Will be stopping off at Putney I imagine. 

London Bridge is 1 train from Millwall, so it's handy to be there up to 30-45mins before kick off.

Putney is completely in the wrong direction. 

Lots of decent pubs in and around Borough Market, avoid the Banker and Barrow Boy like the plague, there's a couple of pretentious bars in and around the Shard which are best avoided. If you drink on the river pubs, you'll pay a premium, and frankly unless the sun is out they're not worth it.

There is a decent cider place, Hawkes Cidery & Taproom which is worth a visit you're up there for the afternoon and have got a bit of time as it is about a 20 min walk from London Bridge,  The Rake in Borough Market itself is a good one as that tends to have some form of cider in, it is a bit small though so don't expect it to be the "away" pub. Word of warning, not much Thatchers to be had around here unless in a 'Spoons. Nearest one to London Bridge is the Crosse Keys in Gracechurch St which again is about 20 mins from London Bridge.

7 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Lots of decent pubs in and around Borough Market, avoid the Banker and Barrow Boy like the plague, there's a couple of pretentious bars in and around the Shard which are best avoided. If you drink on the river pubs, you'll pay a premium, and frankly unless the sun is out they're not worth it.

There is a decent cider place, Hawkes Cidery & Taproom which is worth a visit you're up there for the afternoon and have got a bit of time as it is about a 20 min walk from London Bridge,  The Rake in Borough Market itself is a good one as that tends to have some form of cider in, it is a bit small though so don't expect it to be the "away" pub. Word of warning, not much Thatchers to be had around here unless in a 'Spoons. Nearest one to London Bridge is the Crosse Keys in Gracechurch St which again is about 20 mins from London Bridge.

Hawkes Cidery not open until Wednesday 

11 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Agreed, Barrow Boy is rubbish... There's a couple of proper boozers down Borough High St, but good cider is hard to find. Last year the Bunch of Grapes was the one police decided to kettle everyone from. If you stay clear of the masses, you'll be fine and evade any police enforced walking to and from station/ground.

43 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

I've been a few times. I'm not keen on it personally, it's ridiculously expensive, the police try and kettle you into one pub and I just think given you're in London there are better places to drink. If you've any decent pubs to recommend around that area though I'd be more than happy to try it tomorrow.

Old Kings Head. Don't know if it's an away friendly pub though.

Been there in general for non Millwall v whoever football, seems a good football pub.

Feeling it maybe popular with Millwall fans too, but can't really remember.

23 minutes ago, bcfcshorey said:

Agreed, Barrow Boy is rubbish... There's a couple of proper boozers down Borough High St, but good cider is hard to find. Last year the Bunch of Grapes was the one police decided to kettle everyone from. If you stay clear of the masses, you'll be fine and evade any police enforced walking to and from station/ground.

Yeah Bunch of Grapes is alright but once it got a bit more full and singing started the police came over. Didn't stop a good old sing song but you could see the police didn't want it and as it got nearer to kick off it was pretty much enforced walk to station 

47 minutes ago, Selred said:

London Bridge is 1 train from Millwall, so it's handy to be there up to 30-45mins before kick off.

Putney is completely in the wrong direction. 

It's on the way. We're getting into London for before 10am so we'll make our way across throughout the day.

43 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

3 minutes ago, Flagon said:

Yeah Bunch of Grapes is alright but once it got a bit more full and singing started the police came over. Didn't stop a good old sing song but you could see the police didn't want it and as it got nearer to kick off it was pretty much enforced walk to station 

I was just about to come in here and say the Bunch of Grapes has been recommended by a couple of people I've asked this morning about it. Going to give it a go, went to the Banker and Borrow Boy last year, complete load of shite.

I'd definitely say the George. It's a properly historic pub. There's a few on Borough High Street that are okay but that is the best of them. Not the cheapest pub on Earth, for sure, but a very decent place. 

I reckon Putney and Mile End aren't great for getting to the game afterwards. If you want to save money and are after a Wetherspoons that's convenient then there is one at Cannon Street, which is not far from London Bridge. Not going to be as cheap as Mile End but way more convenient and will be once you factor extra travel costs in.

But, to be honest, if you're in all afternoon and making an afternoon of it, go for the nicer pubs on Borough High Street and around London Bridge. So definitely the George, maybe the Market Porter. The Miller is pretty decent too, or was last time I was there. 

2 minutes ago, Coppello said:

I'll probably head to the George and aim to get a train to the Den at 7ish. Does anyone know if they're selling beer in the away end? I can't remember what the deal was last year! 

they did last year, I seem to remember

51 minutes ago, LondonRobin said:

I’m a student in London and the Half Moon Wetherspoons on Mile End Road is a nice little spoons, 2.85 for a pint of thatchers, 35 mins to the Den ( get off at Surrey Quays station)If you wanna save a few bob go here.

Not a huge Wetherspoons fan but for Fulham away last year we spent about 5 hours in The Pommelers Rest by Tower Bridge with lots of other City fans, was a mint day.

Archived