IGNORED

Podcasts - what do you suggest?

Bristol Rob

17 minutes ago, Markman said:

what the frig is a podcast - is it not simply a programme that has been recorded and you can listen to? Why the name Podcast like it is something else?

Because the name tells you what it is.

A podcast is an audio programme that is available on the internet for people to download and listen to. The name comes from the portmanteau of iPod (which Podcasts were originally listened to on) and Broadcast.

If somebody said “I know a great football programme” that tells you nothing about the medium of broadcast, are they talking about a TV show, a radio programme, an internet audio download or a YouTube video? 

It’s much simpler to have different words for different things so that people can quickly and easily understand what you are talking about.

1 minute ago, BS2 Red said:

Because the name tells you what it is.

A podcast is an audio programme that is available on the internet for people to download and listen to. The name comes from the portmanteau of iPod (which Podcasts were originally listened to on) and Broadcast.

If somebody said “I know a great football programme” that tells you nothing about the medium of broadcast, are they talking about a TV show, a radio programme, an internet audio download or a YouTube video? 

It’s much simpler to have different words for different things so that people can quickly and easily understand what you are talking about.

Goodness me - now I know (still not convinced by the name) :laugh:

14 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

I blame myself for that ending. I started listening and they quit a few months later.

Hopefully their new project keeps Made Up Games, mostly just for the theme song.

Looking forward to Producer Dave coming back!

The show had been getting stale in it's current format, hopefully it'll freshen it up.

The old shows are so much better, i'd really recommend going back and listening from the start.  John is much funnier when he's depressed in the old days...
Still enjoyed tasting the live vibe on their book tour!

Not the Top 20 is the best pod for the EFL in my opinion. I do listen to the totally football league show as well but their knowledge is not as good as Ali's and Georges on NTT20.

Today in focus = this is produced by the guardian and it's daily, but with different subjects. 

The Unexplainable with Howard Hughes is very good, if you have an interest in that sort of thing. Some episodes I skip through, others I listen to over and over

Mine are largely NFL, conspiracy or space related. I get enough football from real life. I like to lose myself in something else

There are so many good ones out there, I spend hours trying them out

On 09/05/2019 at 14:06, Med/MadHatter said:

Hope so too, Goalhanger would suggest that it's Gary's production company but just wonder if BBC will put pressure on GL to stay away from DB, really hope not as it's one of my not to be missed podcasts 

Seems as though maybe Goalhanger/Lineker/Baker are letting the whoo hah die down a bit? Not seen anything official on why there was no episode this week. Just silence from all parties.

Probably already been suggested, but Quickly Kevin will he Score is an excellent podcast on football in the nineties.  Enjoying it despite only being born in 1990 and not remembering most of it until the Man U treble... Sure it would be appreciated even more by most!

Particularly love the reviews of Steve Bruce's football crime novels...

4 hours ago, Masala said:

Non football: My favourite murder. Two American ladies discussing true life murders. Very interesting, very sweary, very irreverent and very amusing in an extremely black humour kind of way!

On a similar note “All Killa No Filla” is pretty good. Two British female comedians discussing serial killers. Much funnier than it sounds, although it obviously gets pretty dark when they are talking about the crimes themselves.

Listen to Joe Rogan more than any other. Good mix of guests, wide range of subjects. Sometimes serious discussion, sometimes funny banter. Any of the ones with Joey Diaz are worth a listen, really good laugh. The Elon Musk one was fascinating, what a highly intelligent yet odd man he is.

Rogan himself is a decent interviewer, always lets his guests do the talking and has a curious mind.

On 12/05/2019 at 00:12, BrizzleBengal said:

Elis James and John Robins, from episode 1, double retro oner here. 

I'm on email. You simply have to be these days. 

I’m sure you’re already aware but their new 5live podcast is available now.

As already mentioned Quickly Kevin - particularly for those of us in our thirties who love reminiscing about 90s football. Josh Widcombe is surprisingly knowledgeable. 

The Football Ramble 

Not the top 20

Non football -

The Adam Buxton podcast is great, an informal chat with a different person each episode, enjoyed them all, particularly the Louis Theroux episodes

Criminal - Good if you're into crime stuff, completely different story every episode, tends to focus on unusual incidents.

Ear Hustle - Made inside San Quentin prison by actual inmates. 

The first series of Serial is really good.

Another vote for Athletico Mince. It’s incredible if it fits your sense of humour. Football wise the Guardian and Totally Football are great. For music the Q magazine’s ‘The Making Of’ is really insightful and for current affairs Radio 4’s ‘The Briefing Room’ gives a really good layman’s term review / explanation into issues of the day.  And don’t forget Desert Island Discs! 

Can't believe I forgot this but if you're a fan of the Maccabees, breakfast radio, England's greatest ever bowler, shredders or Bristol-based shoe-salesmen with tenuous links to legendary Indians then you need to get listening to Tailenders.

#TailendersoftheWorldUniteandTakeOver

On 29/04/2019 at 07:20, Selred said:

Gary Linekar and Danny Baker Behind Closed Doors - Very funny and informative. Linekar is a lot looser on this.

Case Files - All about horrific murders, very factual. 

Caliphate - New York Times journalist interviews someone from Isis.

On 29/04/2019 at 07:53, richwwtk said:

Agree with this, one of my favourites.

Al Murray (pub landlord bloke) does quite an interesting WW2 one

As much as I hate to say it as I normally like the bloke, the Peter Crouch one just came across as far too smug for me, really didn't get on with it.

On 09/05/2019 at 09:45, Med/MadHatter said:

I suppose Lineker and Baker podcast will be gone soon!

Lineker and Baker is back! Not listened to the new episode yet but it's back!

Archived