IGNORED

There is still a flicker of hope burning

Top Robin

We need an incredible run of bad luck to hit Derby and Boro - massively unlikely - but I would be furious if they DID slip up and we didn’t take advantage because the team had given up along with the fans.......

just win both our games and let the other results take care of themselves. 

Don’t forget; we have the away advantage for both......... !!!!

13 hours ago, Bri Stool City said:

The actual only flicker of hope is that we may reach last seasons points total.

As said elsewhere our failure to bring in a proven goal-scorer has cost us many more millions than the actual player would have cost; it is also likely that we will repeat this again next season as we seem determind to go down the one for the future road.

We will also need a midfield general and a goalie and defender to replace Kalas while you have your cheque book out Steve.

Que the F.F.P replies

No hope at all of this happening we will continue to trawl the lower leagues looking for those for the future.......a cheaper option in other words

18 hours ago, Bri Stool City said:

No hope at all of this happening we will continue to trawl the lower leagues looking for those for the future.......a cheaper option in other words

I think our keepers are pretty decent, don't you? Don't underestimate the negative effect that having to chop and change largely through injury can have on defensive stability.

That won't happen again next season I don't think, the regular injuries to our goalkeepers. O'Leary will definitely emerge stronger from a testing first full season at this level.

If we finish this season strongly, could Kalas stay? Maybe- never know. He has had double loan spells at Fulham and Middlesbrough so fingers crossed!

I go on about FFP (guilty as charged :laugh: ) however Assombolonga on loan- if only eh, I was a big advocate of it at the figures quoted on here!

Looking ahead , a Vydra loan if available would fit very nicely with our attacking options I feel, we can now spend some more so I hope we do.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think our keepers are pretty decent, don't you? Don't underestimate the negative effect that having to chop and change largely through injury can have on defensive stability.

That won't happen again next season I don't think, the regular injuries to our goalkeepers. O'Leary will definitely emerge stronger from a testing first full season at this level.

If we finish this season strongly, could Kalas stay? Maybe- never know. He has had double loan spells at Fulham and Middlesbrough so fingers crossed!

I go on about FFP (guilty as charged :laugh: ) however Assombolonga on loan- if only eh, I was a big advocate of it at the figures quoted on here!

Looking ahead , a Vydra loan if available would fit very nicely with our attacking options I feel, we can now spend some more so I hope we do.

I'm not sure we were in a strong enough position in January to justify going for it tbh.

We were in the middle of our exceptional run which had seemingly come from nowhere.

Pushing the boat out based on that would have been very brave and possibly reckless, when it then impacts what's available FFP-wise for the next season.

As it stands now, whether we make the playoffs or not we are in a much stronger place for recruitment this summer than a team that has gone from midtable to edge of the playoffs based on the form of a month in the January window.

On 30/04/2019 at 14:49, bristolcitysweden said:

Football is a problem. You can watch it live. On line. Millwall v Bristol C is not football. Neither is IFK Gothenburg v AIK. A tanker turning v Tottenham v Ajax.

I can watch City live while paying bills on line etc. but it's total shit.     

Do you have any flickor of hope, @bristolcitysweden ?

7 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I'm not sure we were in a strong enough position in January to justify going for it tbh.

We were in the middle of our exceptional run which had seemingly come from nowhere.

Pushing the boat out based on that would have been very brave and possibly reckless, when it then impacts what's available FFP-wise for the next season.

As it stands now, whether we make the playoffs or not we are in a much stronger place for recruitment this summer than a team that has gone from midtable to edge of the playoffs based on the form of a month in the January window.

We were towards the peak of it- Assombolonga and Hogan were linked very late in the window, momentum was gathering all the time.

I'd have spent no more than £3.5m- that's inclusive of loan fee and wages, but considering the wages would have come off the books in the summer and the loan fee as per @Kid in the Riot would've been £2.5m, it could have been plausible.

I think with Assombolonga we would have made the playoffs for sure. Top 2? Dunno, we came from so far back I would say not but absolutely in those playoffs by then.

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We were towards the peak of it- Assombolonga and Hogan were linked very late in the window, momentum was gathering all the time.

I'd have spent no more than £3.5m- that's inclusive of loan fee and wages, but considering the wages would have come off the books in the summer and the loan fee as per @Kid in the Riot would've been £2.5m, it could have been plausible.

I think with Assombolonga we would have made the playoffs for sure. Top 2? Dunno, we came from so far back I would say not but absolutely in those playoffs by then.

As the window came to an end we were at the peak of it, but then your are rushing to get deals done, clubs can take advantage of perceived desperation and use that in negotiations.

Boro weren't trying to offload Assombalonga and so we had no bargaining position over them, and he has (I believe) even had an increase in his minutes since January. 

13 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

As the window came to an end we were at the peak of it, but then your are rushing to get deals done, clubs can take advantage of perceived desperation and use that in negotiations.

Boro weren't trying to offload Assombalonga and so we had no bargaining position over them, and he has (I believe) even had an increase in his minutes since January. 

With regards Assombolonga, maybe it was the case that Middlesbrough wouldn't have let him go.

One theory I read was that Pulis wanted to offload and replace but Gibson told him to play him- he's undoubtedly scored some crucial goals since January.

KITR seems to have had a different take though, which is that he was ours on loan if only we paid the price on offer.

Would have been a huge boost at their expense so it does beg the question as to why Pulis would've wanted that- and to US of all sides given the history, but simply if the deal on offer was as stated, we should have I feel gone for it.

Archived