IGNORED

the next crop of young'uns

Redcliffe1990

Connor Lemonheigh-Evans and Saikou Janneh - both been on loan at Torquay all season and done very well. 

Janneh is quick and seems to have the ability to finish while Connor Evans is more of a midfield playmaker. The former has already returned to Ashton Gate to allegedly train with the first team squad.

I’ve  seen them quite a few times this season and both look good prospects. Their next steps would probably be a loan move to a League One team to see how they get on there ..

28 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

Connor Lemonheigh-Evans and Saikou Janneh - both been on loan at Torquay all season and done very well. 

Janneh is quick and seems to have the ability to finish while Connor Evans is more of a midfield playmaker. The former has already returned to Ashton Gate to allegedly train with the first team squad.

I’ve  seen them quite a few times this season and both look good prospects. Their next steps would probably be a loan move to a League One team to see how they get on there ..

Being the devil's advocate, and having not seen too much of Lemonheigh-Evans, does he really have the ability to break through? I've heard that he's had a good season but that is at Conference South level and he is now 22. He's a year younger than Brownhill but there's a vast difference in terms of experience. Going into this season, Brownhill had made 139 Championship/League One appearances whereas Lemonheigh Evans does not have any Football League experience.

I also have the same questions for Joe Morrell who made his debut in the 13/14 season but is still breaking into the first team. He started that game alongside Marlon Harewood, Brendan Maloney and Lewis Dunk. 

7 minutes ago, Coppello said:

Being the devil's advocate, and having not seen too much of Lemonheigh-Evans, does he really have the ability to break through? I've heard that he's had a good season but that is at Conference South level and he is now 22. He's a year younger than Brownhill but there's a vast difference in terms of experience. Going into this season, Brownhill had made 139 Championship/League One appearances whereas Lemonheigh Evans does not have any Football League experience.

I also have the same questions for Joe Morrell who made his debut in the 13/14 season but is still breaking into the first team. He started that game alongside Marlon Harewood, Brendan Maloney and Lewis Dunk. 

Don’t disagree which is why they probably both need to aim for a loan spell in League One or a top of League Two. 

Don't really understand why we brought Janneh back before the end of his year long loan at Torquay as he is surely not going to be tried in either of the last two games even if the Hull game has nothing riding on it.

35 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

Don’t disagree which is why they probably both need to aim for a loan spell in League One or a top of League Two. 

Don't really understand why we brought Janneh back before the end of his year long loan at Torquay as he is surely not going to be tried in either of the last two games even if the Hull game has nothing riding on it.

Torquay already up when he was called back and he is gaining experience around our first team isn't he? Can't be a bad thing for him.

From what I have seen of Morrell he looks like he has something about him and has a future too.

Semenyo of course. 

Pring I like despite him not having the best season.

Vyner may end up being back up to Hunt. Be interesting to see if he ends up being a RB.

Sam Pearson the one people are excited about, will be in and around the 18 in the next 18-24 months.

Ricardo Rees a winger that I like whenever I see him. 

Janneh a strange one but he can finish like nobody else. Think Pearson will turn out better.

5 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Semenyo of course. 

Pring I like despite him not having the best season.

Vyner may end up being back up to Hunt. Be interesting to see if he ends up being a RB.

Sam Pearson the one people are excited about, will be in and around the 18 in the next 18-24 months.

Ricardo Rees a winger that I like whenever I see him. 

Janneh a strange one but he can finish like nobody else. Think Pearson will turn out better.

Sam Pearson for me. Seen alot of him, and not wanting to put too much pressure on him, think he is the real deal. Interesting to see if he goes out and plays men's football next season. One I have not seen anything of but have heard people talk about is Sam Bell (son of Mickey I believe). He seems to have impressed, think unlike his dad he plays up front. 

11 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Isn't Janneh injured?

Its been reported that the Injury picked up at Torquay is worse than thought and he's out for the last few games of the season.

LJ said he wanted him in and around the first team at games even if he's not in the 18.

5 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Sam Pearson for me. Seen alot of him, and not wanting to put too much pressure on him, think he is the real deal. Interesting to see if he goes out and plays men's football next season. One I have not seen anything of but have heard people talk about is Sam Bell (son of Mickey I believe). He seems to have impressed, think unlike his dad he plays up front. 

Pearson could have a similar season to Semenyo. Loan out to get used to men's football and maybe come back in January if he takes to it like a duck to water.

I'm same as you on Bell. Never watched him but supposedly very good.

Someone told me the club are worried about the sheer number of players we have from u18 up to first team.

80something apparently, certainly think we need to start using a smaller first team squad if we're going to see these promising youngsters getting chances.

If the claim in the Post that we are looking to sign 7 players in the summer is accurate it's hard to see there being much of a pathway.

If Kalas goes Kelly may get a regular centre half spot, or left back if Dasilva doesn't sign. Semenyo will get games, though mainly as a sub. Max will likely be second choice keeper.

Unless a few senior fringe players go places on the bench will be limited even. In time I can see any lack of opportunities for Academy players being a source of tension between LJ and SL.

It is going to be another interesting summer.

35 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Pearson could have a similar season to Semenyo. Loan out to get used to men's football and maybe come back in January if he takes to it like a duck to water.

I'm same as you on Bell. Never watched him but supposedly very good.

Someone told me the club are worried about the sheer number of players we have from u18 up to first team.

80something apparently, certainly think we need to start using a smaller first team squad if we're going to see these promising youngsters getting chances.

Cue outrage on here when we offload a large number of players this summer and make limited recruitment. I actually am hoping for that scenario as it will give Vyner, Semenyo, Walsh et al a chance to shine. If you want a sustainable club it's the only way forward. 

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

If the claim in the Post that we are looking to sign 7 players in the summer is accurate it's hard to see there being much of a pathway.

If Kalas goes Kelly may get a regular centre half spot, or left back if Dasilva doesn't sign. Semenyo will get games, though mainly as a sub. Max will likely be second choice keeper.

Unless a few senior fringe players go places on the bench will be limited even. In time I can see any lack of opportunities for Academy players being a source of tension between LJ and SL.

It is going to be another interesting summer.

In that case SL will simply refuse to sanction a large number of transfers. Couldn't there be a healthy middle ground where we make 1-3 very good recruits (and more expensive) and also have space for the youth players? 

2 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Cue outrage on here when we offload a large number of players this summer and make limited recruitment. I actually am hoping for that scenario as it will give Vyner, Semenyo, Walsh et al a chance to shine. If you want a sustainable club it's the only way forward. 

I'm inclined to largely agree. If we are serious about the pathway we can't keep adding more and more senior pros to the squad.

In that context, more senior players should go out than come in.

4 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

In that case SL will simply refuse to sanction a large number of transfers. Couldn't there be a healthy middle ground where we make 1-3 very good recruits (and more expensive) and also have space for the youth players? 

Agreed, I have just posted much the same.

An additional factor is the dreaded ones for the future. The Post claims that of the 7 signings a couple will be yet more ones for the future.

Last summer LJ pointedly said it can't always be about the future. Lo and behold Eisa and Adelakun are nowhere to be seen. If we add a couple more, what is their fate likely to be?

27 minutes ago, Lucan said:

It feels like "next year" has been Vyner's year forever!  

Let's hope it really is

That’s because the club has progressed quicker than he has.  We’ve gone from a new Championship team struggling with relegation when he made his debut, to a play-off contending team.  He wasn’t really ready for the Champ when he made his debut and he’s gained experience out on loan at Accrington and Plymouth.  Had we still been a struggling Champ team he might have got more regular games, but we’ve progressed during the same period.  He needs to catch us up.

FWIW I don’t think he’ll make it here.  Caught between RB and CB, I’m not convinced he is good enough on the ball to work as RB for us, and I don’t think he’s big / strong enough to play CB.  If LJ is convinced he really is a CB and has faith in his ability, I would be happy to give him the time to let him bulk up.  It might be 2020/21 before he’s ready.  He’d be 23 then.  He’s not costing us much in wages (i’m guessing), but I think he needs to play CB on loan somewhere next season, to build upon his time at Plymouth.

I think it’s between him and Moore to stake a claim.  I thought Moore would make it, but the couple of times I’ve seen him for Southend, I've been disappointed.  Despite that, the reports from Roots Hall were positive, until Powell got sacked.  £1.5m in danger of being thrown in the bin, or a large part of it.  Still has a chance, but this summer is crucial.

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s because the club has progressed quicker than he has.  We’ve gone from a new Championship team struggling with relegation when he made his debut, to a play-off contending team.  He wasn’t really ready for the Champ when he made his debut and he’s gained experience out on loan at Accrington and Plymouth.  Had we still been a struggling Champ team he might have got more regular games, but we’ve progressed during the same period.  He needs to catch us up.

FWIW I don’t think he’ll make it here.  Caught between RB and CB, I’m not convinced he is good enough on the ball to work as RB for us, and I don’t think he’s big / strong enough to play CB.  If LJ is convinced he really is a CB and has faith in his ability, I would be happy to give him the time to let him bulk up.  It might be 2020/21 before he’s ready.  He’d be 23 then.  He’s not costing us much in wages (i’m guessing), but I think he needs to play CB on loan somewhere next season, to build upon his time at Plymouth.

I think it’s between him and Moore to stake a claim.  I thought Moore would make it, but the couple of times I’ve seen him for Southend, I've been disappointed.  Despite that, the reports from Roots Hall were positive, until Powell got sacked.  £1.5m in danger of being thrown in the bin, or a large part of it.  Still has a chance, but this summer is crucial.

Have you seen much of Vyner at Rotherham? I am just wondering because things can change in a season, if you look at Eliasson for example he has filled out considerably since the start of the season. Maybe Vyner has too and that’s part of why he has turned his performances around?

Reading what the Southend fan has said in the Loan Watch thread, it appears the incoming Manager at Southend is very much in favour of experienced pros and dropped him immediately. I am sure that would have knocked his confidence. Still young for a centre back though.

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Have you seen much of Vyner at Rotherham? I am just wondering because things can change in a season, if you look at Eliasson for example he has filled out considerably since the start of the season. Maybe Vyner has too and that’s part of why he has turned his performances around?

Reading what the Southend fan has said in the Loan Watch thread, it appears the incoming Manager at Southend is very much in favour of experienced pros and dropped him immediately. I am sure that would have knocked his confidence. Still young for a centre back though.

Bits and pieces yes when they’ve been on Sky, EFL stuff.  Read a fair bit on their forum too.

As I said, still got growth (ability and physically) in him, and if club want to wait, fine by me.  

Re Moore, yes, very aware of Bond....old-fashioned...I'm gonna go with experience type manager.  Powell is a bright manager / coach, and I hope he gets a chance elsewhere.  Would be a good Guy to bring into our set-up.

2 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

Eisa will be 25 when next season starts and Adelakun 23. Neither what I would call young. 

I don’t know Adelakuns history but Eisa was still playing non league football at 22, he wouldn’t be the first late developer to make a success of his career Vardy and Ian Wright are always cited but there are others too.

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I don’t know Adelakuns history but Eisa was still playing non league football at 22, he wouldn’t be the first late developer to make a success of his career Vardy and Ian Wright are always cited but there are others too.

I don’t disagree about them being late developers but the topic is about the next crop of young ‘uns to break through. I was pointing out that they aren’t necessarily young. 

In reference to your comment about Ian Wright, he signed for Palace at 21 playing in what was the old division 2.  Vardy is a perfect example of someone coming out of non league later in their career and excelling.

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

The Smith out on loan - at Wrexham??

Harvey if you're on about the one who was at Hereford this season? Still pretty young at 20, expect we'll probably loan him next rung up the ladder if someone will have him. Looking online he was recalled in March and has played 23's since.

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

The Smith out on loan - at Wrexham??

You mean the Smith at Tranmere....Johny Smith.

Hinds went to Wrexham, but currently at Bath City on loan.

Harvey Smith was at Hereford, but saw him at AG on Saturday.

Just now, hodge said:

Harvey if you're on about the one who was at Hereford this season? Still pretty young at 20, expect we'll probably loan him next rung up the ladder if someone will have him. Looking online he was recalled in March and has played 23's since.

Yes, was captain for a while too.

Archived