IGNORED

Millwall v Bristol City Match Day 45

Septic Peg

Having missed the match, commentary, sky news & everything other than goal alerts, I have only 2 things to say, having caught up on proceedings...

1) Great result! Shows that we’ve not thrown the towel in. 

2) This forum is (generally) a disgrace during matches and our whole club would be better off without half the bell ends on it..!

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Isn't that the nature of the beast though. We were losing, playing poorly and with all hope slipping away. Would you expect a party atmosphere. Just people getting frustrated and sounding off. It's a good release from tension.

I know something else we could all do instead!!

No secret I've a soft spot for The Wall and it's a shame their critics only pick on the less salubrious attitudes of a minority of their fans. Nice touch at the end to hear they're running coaches to Wigan for fans Sunday at £5 return. City would do well to follow such initiatives.

6 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

No secret I've a soft spot for The Wall and it's a shame their critics only pick on the less salubrious attitudes of a minority of their fans. Nice touch at the end to hear they're running coaches to Wigan for fans Sunday at £5 return. City would do well to follow such initiatives.

What would be the point in City running coaches to Wigan on Sunday..? Even at £5 return..!

11 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

That’s fantastic, well done Millwall. They had a great cafe type place in their grounds too which was selling loads of ‘proper’ food,  eg fish and chips etc, really popular and it looked like you could sit down and eat of a china plate if that’s what you wanted. I only got chips but they were nice. Millwall fans and City fans happy to sit and chat whilst eating too, plenty of Police present, but they kept their distance though.I noticed this cafe was opening to serve breakfast for the travelling fans at 4am on Sunday, that’s a good gesture, will we have anywhere to eat at Ashton Gate?!

13 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Really?!?

If I travelled to Barcelona to watch City in the Champions League semi-final, but didn’t have a ticket, I would be finding a pub with a telly not heading off to watch Alicante v Benidorm!

Not the sort of fans who will have travelled to actually watch the CL match I suspect. Neither Millwall or City have a particular affection for Ajax so serves them right if they would have been better off watching the tv somewhere.

11 hours ago, old_eastender said:

True, but if only LJ had not started the Wigan & Reading games with such cautious line-ups we could easily be on 73 points and virtually assured of 6th now...

.....and all those perfectly good Weimann goals that were disallowed too - they were worth at least 6 points. 

12 hours ago, old_eastender said:

True, but if only LJ had not started the Wigan & Reading games with such cautious line-ups we could easily be on 73 points and virtually assured of 6th now...

So less cautious line ups in those matches would have guaranteed 3 points would they? No.

Not to mention the fact that every club in the division will be able to point to matches they might have won if they’d done things differently.

We are where we are and it’s far too simplistic to pick out a couple of games and say we should be higher because we should have won them.

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

So less cautious line ups in those matches would have guaranteed 3 points would they? No.

Not to mention the fact that every club in the division will be able to point to matches they might have won if they’d done things differently.

We are where we are and it’s far too simplistic to pick out a couple of games and say we should be higher because we should have won them.

Agree with your points, but I also agree with the poster that we were way too cautious, in those games.

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I agree. And by the same token, I kept hearing before last nights game how we now had to change our plan and ‘go for it’. Why? We’ve won 11 away games with our ‘cautious’ approach. 

14 hours ago, Spike said:

Great result in the end but I still feel it's too little too late, this was the fight back we needed against Derby. Swansea need to keep Derby to a draw and then West Brom beat Derby too and Rotherham, who are already relegated, need to get at least a point against Middlesbrough. Even if those results go our way we can get nothing less than a win Hull on the last game of the season, that's a hell of a lot of luck to get all of those results to go that way.

The incorrect Semenyo red deprived us of that opportunity Saturday- even after that it seemed to galvanise us a little more if anything- was it Weimann who hit the bar in that little spell.

It may have galvanised us further to get a draw say Saturday, in the same way O'Leary penalty save helped spur us on last night. (Albeit 10 v 11 Saturday as opposed to a full complement last night).

• Admin
43 minutes ago, 22A said:

I read in one paper that City committed nine fouls whilst Millwall committed twelve. No cards for them, but three for City.

Have the authorities really got it in for City?

Without sounding rude, it's difficult to judge

One could have been a trip / pull of shirt, where as the other could have been the other end of the spectrum

45 minutes ago, 22A said:

I read in one paper that City committed nine fouls whilst Millwall committed twelve. No cards for them, but three for City.

To be honest, our yellow cards were all deserved whilst they didn’t really commit any fouls that could be seen as bookable offences

4 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

.....and all those perfectly good Weimann goals that were disallowed too - they were worth at least 6 points. 

The Weimann goals.

Derby away- Nobody has produced any video evidence of that I've seen. Sounds like it was wrong or may have been. This forum seemed to think so at the time and subsequently.

Potential of 2 points dropped. Which of course would have us 6th as it would mean 1 less for Derby. 

Nottingham Forest away- The difference between a 1-0 and a 2-0. In the final analysis no impact on points however goal difference is very important. That was clearly onside BTW.

Swansea home- Difference potentially between a 2-0 and a 3-0. No impact on points but again as above. Was it onside? Not so sure, it seemed very close however.

Aston Villa away- Very close wasn't it? Can see a case either way in real time. Think refereeing decisions cost a point in that one, all things being equal and balanced.

So I make it 2-4 goals wrongly disallowed. Probably cost us 3 points plus gave Derby one they probably shouldn't have had. Yeah we would be in a stronger position.

It would've also brought about intangibles too though. Weimann's confidence would have improved with those goals.

A minimum of 2 and a maximum of 4 disallowed goals for the same player is absurdly unlucky.

Especially if it's 3 or 4, cost us in points, GD. Confidence, momentum- that and some of the other refereeing decisions?To say nothing of Diedhiou 6 games. Disgrace all told.

58 minutes ago, 22A said:

Don't recall that any of the yellows seemed particularly harsh. If anything, I thought he was giving a few things our way, free kick for the equaliser looked pretty soft.

Big club bias working in our favour this time!

3 hours ago, 22A said:

No.

Two of the bookings were for players desperately trying to cover Kelly's excursions upfield and not having the speed to get back into the left back position - pull somebody back from behind and you'll get booked. The other followed a, shall we say,  'rash' challenge when not up yet with the speed of play.

2 hours ago, bcfctim said:

free kick for the equaliser looked pretty soft.

Not so our Cyclops would confess but perfect con job from Taylor. Balanced Morrison's foul for their first. Actually it's more of what we should expect from our forwards, simply old school getting away with one.

4 hours ago, 22A said:

Supposedly these things "even themselves out over the course of a season" . Except I'm not sure they do. Or do they? Or do they even themselves out over the courses of a few years? Is VAR the answer?  Or are we due a season of the gods of poor decisions being on our side next season!? 

9 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Supposedly these things "even themselves out over the course of a season" . Except I'm not sure they do. Or do they? Or do they even themselves out over the courses of a few years? Is VAR the answer?  Or are we due a season of the gods of poor decisions being on our side next season!? 

I think once the EFL review all the decisions this season we're going to be handed the title in August as compensation.

They don't and will never even out as dissonance theory clearly explains why the number of those thinking they've gotten away with one never equals those who think they've been done down. 

In our last two home games we should have had a player sent off. Those shouting loudest that Semenyo shouldn't have gone remained strangely silent on the fact that Smith got away with one the previous week. 

Has ever been thus.

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

The claim that things even themselves out is a cliche that as far as I know has no empirical evidence to support it. It's just been repeated so often that people believe it must be true.

Archived