IGNORED

Conceding Two

Rich

The last thirteen games has seen us concede two goals on eight occasions. The previous thirty one games saw us concede two goals on eight occasions. Not sure if this is the reason but, we have suddenly been playing with an extra defender in the team (three at the back) during that thirteen game sequence. Just seems a bit of a coincidence that the tried and trusted four at the back was changed and we've started conceding more goals. The manager likes to have Bailey Wright involved, though it was not always him in the three and we never played every game with three at the back. So perhaps it's just a question of the team being disrupted during those games. To me it would be a question of if it aint broke, don't fix it. Thoughts.

LJ can be a bit over funky with tactics particularly if works once, but our best results under him have always been when the team has been settled. Think we played 3 at the back at Sheffield Utd first up and tbf it worked and did for few games after.  I'm guessing he thought the former would make us a bit more attacking but as the op says we were rock solid with 2 CBs before that. 

The never ending search for the right balance.......

10 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

LJ can be a bit over funky with tactics particularly if works once, but our best results under him have always been when the team has been settled. Think we played 3 at the back at Sheffield Utd first up and tbf it worked and did for few games after.  I'm guessing he thought the former would make us a bit more attacking but as the op says we were rock solid with 2 CBs before that. 

The never ending search for the right balance.......

I think its more about spotting when teams adjust to play against our tactics and changing ours to make sure he doesn't get done tactically. 

5 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I think its more about spotting when teams adjust to play against our tactics and changing ours to make sure he doesn't get done tactically. 

Strange then, how the team were quite successful when not being changed to account for other teams countering us. So ends up getting done tactically to avoid that situation.

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

Strange then, how the team were quite successful when not being changed to account for other teams countering us. So ends up getting done tactically to avoid that situation.

Most teams in this league have to change the way they play every 5 games or so otherwise they become predictable and easy to pick apart. It's spotting when opposition teams change things to counter our tactics that we need to change things - why wait for that to happen, just have a number of different tactics ready to be used at any time. 

14 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Most teams in this league have to change the way they play every 5 games or so otherwise they become predictable and easy to pick apart. It's spotting when opposition teams change things to counter our tactics that we need to change things - why wait for that to happen, just have a number of different tactics ready to be used at any time. 

That would be fine and ideal if it actually worked for us. It would appear that it doesn't. You could go round in circles with this, I know, I've just done it. During the game yes, and on odd occasions, I agree. It just seems that we have used the wing back system and three CBs during that thirteen game run and conceded more than in the previous thirty one games, on the face of it, it would appear that we have more CBs fit, so as they are all good players, they get included more regularly and basically, mess up the unity of the team.

13 minutes ago, TomF said:

Possibly the woes of keeper injuries haven’t help. A settled defence always has a settled keeper that they’re confident in. 

That's a different matter. I refer solely to the use of extra defenders. I suppose you could argue that they've been brought in to protect the keeper, but even that hasn't worked. I've seen BW come into an established defensive partnership to make three, and it's gone wrong, with players being confused and getting in each others way, when previously they would have known where their partner was. Seems strange to alter a perfectly functioning defensive partnership to counter the opposition. Midfield or striker rotation I can agree on.

I do think Lee is a bit slow to react when it is clear to everyone that the formation isn''t working.

Subs coming on after 60 mins when we clearly need them at HT is so predictable.

I'v even seen some managers who have seen that the formation and tactics are not right after 20 or 30 minutes making a change BEFORE conceding a goal ehich was clearly coming.

Archived