IGNORED

Free or heavily subsidised Travel to Hull?

Mr Popodopolous

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well realistically we knew this wasn't happening- would have been useful to have it confirmed though IMO by our SLO.

I’d agree.

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO you’ve been on the forum in the last few days, and I’d have said if there was one thread that was worthy of your comment it was this one. People are giving reasonable precedent and looking at ways to get us the 12th man on Sunday by helping people get to Hull.

Its okay to say no and explain why. But for gods sake man, do what the job description says and liaise....

Love reading this forum, some knowledgeable fans but don't get why you want free travel for this. 

It is a one game shoot out, you're 3rd favs but christ you're there where the rest of us would love to be, football is unpredictable, surely the players deserve a sell out. I debate with a couple of lads from here elsewhere about your away support and I'd loved to be proved wrong Sunday. 

That 4.6k at ours in 2004 can't be your pinnacle 

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’d agree.

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO you’ve been on the forum in the last few days, and I’d have said if there was one thread that was worthy of your comment it was this one. People are giving reasonable precedent and looking at ways to get us the 12th man on Sunday by helping people get to Hull.

Its okay to say no and explain why. But for gods sake man, do what the job description says and liaise....

Very well said!

As you say- if It isn't feasible due to time, money etc- then fine but liaise and explain please!

SLOs should closely liaise with supporters especially on this, at this time.

1 hour ago, OwlsonlineAdmin said:

Love reading this forum, some knowledgeable fans but don't get why you want free travel for this. 

It is a one game shoot out, you're 3rd favs but christ you're there where the rest of us would love to be, football is unpredictable, surely the players deserve a sell out. I debate with a couple of lads from here elsewhere about your away support and I'd loved to be proved wrong Sunday. 

That 4.6k at ours in 2004 can't be your pinnacle 

Try 8k at Man City last year. 5k to MK few years before off top of head.

The problem is for one Hull away on a Sunday kicking off at 12.30pm? Very hard to get to. No trains from Bristol reach there until at least halftime- that's the earliest BTW.

Plus football a very expensive business, travel especially.

Lastly. I see Millwall a club with less doing coach travel to Wigan Sunday for £5. They had less chance of drop IMO than we had of playoffs going into Derby game.

Then, I see Marinakis of Nottingham Forest declaring basically- 'Lads- this round's on me!'

Pocket change to him but excellent PR- anyone who went by coach last Saturday to QPR got it for free or refunded. Out of his pocket if already paid. 

Game not likely to decide drop and a dead rubber respectively. To thank the fans in second instance quite specifically.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Try 8k at Man City last year. 5k to MK few years before off top of head.

The problem is for one Hull away on a Sunday kicking off at 12.30pm? Very hard to get to. No trains from Bristol reach there until at least halftime- that's the earliest BTW.

Plus football a very expensive business, travel especially.

Lastly. I see Millwall a club with less doing coach travel to Wigan Sunday for £5. They had less chance of drop IMO than we had of playoffs going into Derby game.

Then, I see Marinakis of Nottingham Forest declaring basically- 'Lads- this round's on me!'

Pocket change to him but excellent PR- anyone who went by coach last Saturday to QPR got it for free or refunded. Out of his pocket if already paid. 

Game not likely to decide drop and a dead rubber respectively. To thank the fans in second instance quite specifically.

You're naming the exceptions rather than rule there MrP, 8k at City in the semi all but expected given your run, 5k at MK is decent. 

We've never had free travel that I recall despite the last 19 years of being shite, being a fan is just that, good and bad, the NF chairman is new and is gonna cause more bad PR than good given his history. 

Its an easy win, as you say, to give free coaches, but then where is the cut off, does a bloke on his first away of the season, warrant that bonus more than the lads at Boro or at Millwall? 

I know your geographical position is a **** for travelling and we are lucky where we are so I get your point however it's the last game of the season and you still have a chance, fill it, no excuses. 

Imagine not going and you get in the top six up there, that would grip your shit. 

As I've said, that 4.6k in 2004 was superb but since have brought that combined, you don't travel north really, was it 200 at Hull in 2008?

If the fans can make the difference as what we’re told then if i was SL for this one off game i would have bought every ticket available and put on as many coaches as needed. 

By the way i don’t think SL should do this I’m just saying what i would do if i could!!

17 minutes ago, Rob k said:

If the fans can make the difference as what we’re told then if i was SL for this one off game i would have bought every ticket available and put on as many coaches as needed. 

By the way i don’t think SL should do this I’m just saying what i would do if i could!!

Maybe if you owned a club that lost £8m per year you wouldn’t do it. 

Very easy to say you would when you aren’t the one giving things away for free

16 minutes ago, RedDave said:

1) The club got some bad PR with Easter Egg nonsense. Relatively cheap way to wipe that clean and then some.

2) The second point. Okay, you raise counterarguments and who knows they maybe justified and correct- our SLO- clue in the name Supporters Liaison Officer- has singularly failed to Liaise with supporters on this matter.

Which is a shame, because he is usually pretty good!

3) How much do Millwall and Nottingham Forest lose a year? Reasonable and recent precedents.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

1) The club got some bad PR with Easter Egg nonsense. Relatively cheap way to wipe that clean and then some.

2) The second point. Okay, you raise counterarguments and who knows they maybe justified and correct- our SLO- clue in the name Supporters Liaison Officer- has singularly failed to Liaise with supporters on this matter. Which is a shame!

3) How much do Millwall and Nottingham Forest lose a year? Reasonable and recent precedents.

Easter egg thing was ridiculous. If you don’t want it don’t buy it.

8% of clubs have done free travel eh? Wow. 

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Easter egg thing was ridiculous. If you don’t want it don’t buy it.

8% of clubs have done free travel eh? Wow. 

Slow news day sure and I agree but when it makes national media etc it's never good.

Probably more over time. In the grand scheme it'd add hardly anything to our losses, revenue- or SL who is a wonderful owner in many ways.

Seems an opportunity lost IMO. What is quite funny is that you're liaising more than the SLO on it! ?

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Slow news day sure and I agree but when it makes national media etc it's never good.

Probably more over time. In the grand scheme it'd add hardly anything to our losses, revenue- or SL who is a wonderful owner in many ways.

Seems an opportunity lost IMO. What is quite funny is that you're liaising more than the SLO on it! ?

We do plenty. Wonder if other clubs fans are moaning they don’t get free away kits at an away game

48 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Very easy to say what i would do yes - hence why i was quite clear saying i don’t think SL has to do this. 

If it makes the difference that we’re so often told it does then get people there for a one off 

8 hours ago, OwlsonlineAdmin said:

You're naming the exceptions rather than rule there MrP, 8k at City in the semi all but expected given your run, 5k at MK is decent. 

We've never had free travel that I recall despite the last 19 years of being shite, being a fan is just that, good and bad, the NF chairman is new and is gonna cause more bad PR than good given his history. 

Its an easy win, as you say, to give free coaches, but then where is the cut off, does a bloke on his first away of the season, warrant that bonus more than the lads at Boro or at Millwall? 

I know your geographical position is a **** for travelling and we are lucky where we are so I get your point however it's the last game of the season and you still have a chance, fill it, no excuses. 

Imagine not going and you get in the top six up there, that would grip your shit. 

As I've said, that 4.6k in 2004 was superb but since have brought that combined, you don't travel north really, was it 200 at Hull in 2008?

I'll have to look back at our trips and see where our away followings rank and to where.

It'd be fair to say we don't in the main take huge numbers past the Midlands I think. It's worth looking at geography too, and the fact the EFL have been on the record in the last few years as saying they deliberately arrange fairly long distance fixtures in the week- perhaps that policy has changed?

Right on your point about fill it. I give you the train. Trains wouldn't get people in until halftime from Bristol to Sunday. Problem One!

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

Why on earth do the fans need a thank you for travelling to a very big game? Totally insane attitude

I give you Marinakis and Millwall. Over to you?

I'll have to look back at our trips and see where our away followings rank and to where.

It'd be fair to say we don't in the main take huge numbers past the Midlands I think. It's worth looking at geography too, and the fact the EFL have been on the record in the last few years as saying they deliberately arrange fairly long distance fixtures in the week- perhaps that policy has changed?

Right on your point about fill it. I give you the train. Trains wouldn't get people in until halftime from Bristol to Sunday. Problem One!

I give you Marinakis and Millwall. Over to you?

Millwalls game is a dead rubber for a start. This is a massive game, not sold out and the stories on this forum are 'free travel blahhhhh' 'beamback'. Pathetic attitude.

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Millwalls game is a dead rubber for a start. This is a massive game, not sold out and the stories on this forum are 'free travel blahhhhh' 'beamback'. Pathetic attitude.

Millwall's game a dead rubber...so too was Nottingham Forest's.

I'll tell you something about pathetic attitudes. Your inability or unwillingness to accept that Hull away at 12.30pm on a Sunday is  a logistical nightmare.

Before even factoring in the costs of modern football and game like this both logistically, financially and with something riding on it. #Outoftouch

I.won't even talk about our non Liaising liaison officer.

Millwall's game a dead rubber...so too was Nottingham Forest's.

I'll tell you something about pathetic attitudes. Your inability or unwillingness to accept that Hull away at 12.30pm on a Sunday is  a logistical nightmare.

Before even factoring in the costs of modern football and game like this both logistically, financially and with something riding on it. #Outoftouch

I.won't even talk about our non Liaising liaison officer.

Logistical nightmare? Its hardly Timbuktu, you simply park yourself on a car seat and press the accelerator. Or turn up at AG for a bus, same as if its free. 

Im glad our liaison officer has better things to do than reply to every pathetic post hes tagged in on this forum.

18 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Logistical nightmare? Its hardly Timbuktu, you simply park yourself on a car seat and press the accelerator. Or turn up at AG for a bus, same as if its free. 

Im glad our liaison officer has better things to do than reply to every pathetic post hes tagged in on this forum.

Transport links are pretty shitty at times. This is one such time- harder than necessary then. People travel to games in variety of ways, you're making the assumption everyone drives.

Maybe he's very busy with other issues but quite simple..he liaises a bit, can't be done due to 'X-Y-Z'. It's regrettable but we all accept it. Simple and easy.

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

I disagree.

I’d do exactly that. As I often do. Subsidised tickets and travel is a speciality of mine. If the tickets are paid for or if I’m travelling with free seats why not share the love?

And believe me I don’t have pockets the size of Mr Ls. What I do have though are arms that match the size of my pockets.

And a true love of BCFC. 

And if doing so I can enable others to support the club - and chip in to a very worthy cause - then I’m happy to do so.

See Lansdown has only one desire in all of this. To make money. For him and his own.

If a circus on the Downs was a more attractive money making proposition he’d be asking Ashton to recruit clowns.

Oh hang on..... Diony anyone? ?

11 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

I disagree.

I’d do exactly that. As I often do. Subsidised tickets and travel is a speciality of mine. If the tickets are paid for or if I’m travelling with free seats why not share the love?

And believe me I don’t have pockets the size of Mr Ls. What I do have though are arms that match the size of my pockets.

And a true love of BCFC. 

And if doing so I can enable others to support the club - and chip in to a very worthy cause - then I’m happy to do so.

See Lansdown has only one desire in all of this. To make money. For him and his own.

If a circus on the Downs was a more attractive money making proposition he’d be asking Ashton to recruit clowns.

Oh hang on..... Diony anyone? ?

Excellent post- one caveat though I still don't fully agree about SL only being interested in making money for him and his own, but then we'll never agree on that part I reckon. ;)

Think the club could/should've done something for Sunday though- the lifts thing for the Charity donation you do is great stuff incidentally.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

2) The second point. Okay, you raise counterarguments and who knows they maybe justified and correct- our SLO- clue in the name Supporters Liaison Officer- has singularly failed to Liaise with supporters on this matter.

Which is a shame, because he is usually pretty good!

Very harsh really.

You've already admitted it was never feasible to set up after the initial post, so why should he have to explain what is already known?

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Very harsh really.

You've already admitted it was never feasible to set up after the initial post, so why should he have to explain what is already known?

I never said it wasn't feasible as such, I said it might not be feasible. I was offering both pros and cons. Used the term if it isn't feasible

Perhaps it was rather uncalled for as he usually liaises pretty well. Would have been nice had a bit of liaison as to why it wouldn't be feasible had occurred however.

I never said it wasn't feasible as such, I said it might not be feasible. I was offering both pros and cons.

Perhaps it was a tad uncalled for as he usually liaises pretty well.

I don't see why he should need to liaise on something that was never going to happen and was never even on the table just because a thread was made about it half a week before the match.

With the greatest respect (and yes, not an exact comparison) if I turned up at a restaurant I went to regularly then when it came to paying I said "I tweeted last week that I deserve a free meal, after all my loyalty here" I'd be laughed out the building- after being made to pay.

Yes, it would be great if the club did offer free travel to a game, but it isn't something done by many clubs- most of the ones who do it for a game have it arranged by their sponsor, not by the club itself. And if it was to be done it shouldn't be something rushed 4 days before the match because something vaguely feasible might happen, it should be something sorted months in advance at a specifically targeted match.

14 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I don't see why he should need to liaise on something that was never going to happen and was never even on the table just because a thread was made about it half a week before the match.

With the greatest respect (and yes, not an exact comparison) if I turned up at a restaurant I went to regularly then when it came to paying I said "I tweeted last week that I deserve a free meal, after all my loyalty here" I'd be laughed out the building- after being made to pay.

Yes, it would be great if the club did offer free travel to a game, but it isn't something done by many clubs- most of the ones who do it for a game have it arranged by their sponsor, not by the club itself. And if it was to be done it shouldn't be something rushed 4 days before the match because something vaguely feasible might happen, it should be something sorted months in advance at a specifically targeted match.

Marinakis announced it at Nottingham Forest the day before the game. Out of his pocket btw (which is like pennies to him), not club coffers apparently.

Millwall was announced 12 days before the game.

Looking further back and it is a bit of a random assortment of examples but here goes:

https://www.buryfc.co.uk/news/2013/august/free-coach-travel-to-norwich/

Admittedly announced 2 weeks before.

My favorite ones though would be:

https://www.borehamwoodfootballclub.co.uk/uncategorized/free-travel-to-mark-the-chairmans-1000th-game/

Non League Boreham Wood to mark the chairman's 1,000th game- admittedly away followings in that League aren't much but then again income is barely a thing too.

A better example in terms of travel time, mileage etc.

http://www.afcfylde.co.uk/free-travel-to-boreham-wood/

Seemingly this was announced the day before- admittedly again AFC Flyde of Lancashire wouldn't have many fans!

When was the last time City did anything like this? He hasn't liaised well on this, let's be honest. Plus I think @Olé and @GasDestroyer both mentioned it in previous week as an idea- he could have discussed it on that thread.

EDIT: Found the post- April 24th was when they mentioned it!

Archived