IGNORED

Free or heavily subsidised Travel to Hull?

Mr Popodopolous

• Admin
3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Okay that equalises the PR point then. 1-1. Good gesture in truth...will do some crunching of numbers later and see what would have cost the club more.

Sorry to butt in here but let's not pretend this wasn't only done as the club had stock to get rid of. In the past we never had a sale at the end of a season to flog current kit 

Also they were only given to people in one coach, hardly a life changing gesture 

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

Sorry to butt in here but let's not pretend this wasn't only done as the club had stock to get rid of. In the past we never had a sale at the end of a season to flog current kit 

Also they were only given to people in one coach, hardly a life changing gesture 

Good point, hadn't thought of that! Glad to be corrected.

Nice gesture but as you say, one coach? Didn't realise the scale was so low, sort of half-followed it etc.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Marinakis announced it at Nottingham Forest the day before the game. Out of his pocket btw (which is like pennies to him), not club coffers apparently.

Millwall was announced 12 days before the game.

Looking further back and it is a bit of a random assortment of examples but here goes:

https://www.buryfc.co.uk/news/2013/august/free-coach-travel-to-norwich/

Admittedly announced 2 weeks before.

My favorite ones though would be:

https://www.borehamwoodfootballclub.co.uk/uncategorized/free-travel-to-mark-the-chairmans-1000th-game/

Non League Boreham Wood to mark the chairman's 1,000th game- admittedly away followings in that League aren't much but then again income is barely a thing too.

A better example in terms of travel time, mileage etc.

http://www.afcfylde.co.uk/free-travel-to-boreham-wood/

Seemingly this was announced the day before- admittedly again AFC Flyde of Lancashire wouldn't have many fans!

When was the last time City did anything like this? He hasn't liaised well on this, let's be honest. Plus I think @Olé and @GasDestroyer both mentioned it in previous week as an idea- he could have discussed it on that thread.

EDIT: Found the post- April 24th was when they mentioned it!

The Fylde one is a bit of a misnomer.

A Thursday night game, so people would probably be taking 2 days off work. There was never going to be too many going and their owner is loaded.

They couldn't announce it earlier because they were waiting to find out their opponents.

13 minutes ago, phantom said:

Pretty sure people said everyone who went got one.

Not just given to people on one coach.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Not true on the last point. Handed out to many who didn’t even go by coach

7 hours ago, phantom said:

No they weren’t. I got one and I drove.

I’m driving tomorrow. All those in the car will get more than Lansdown is giving away. Free toilet roll and can of Thatchers.

If I can do it then I’m ****** why he can’t. Biggest fixture with so much on it for a long time. If I was he I’d be doing everything I could to get the away end packed.

But then again I’ve been a BCFC supporter all my life. Not just since football became fashionable and a way to make money.

I live in hope that I’ll be proved wrong. Free shirts, cider and fishy on a dishy courtesy of The Investor tomorrow? Somehow I doubt it ?

Some of the attitudes on here.....

"Just go....get behind the lads"

Pricks. I would absolutely love to be able to afford away games, but welcome to living in Bristol in 2019. Cost of living means I, like many others....barely make enough to cover rent / mortgages and bills etc 

Fair play to you if you can afford the money to just get up and go and you don't have to worry about it. But don't come on here and make out like it's something everyone has the luxury of doing 

• Admin
8 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Pretty sure people said everyone who went got one.

Not just given to people on one coach.

7 hours ago, RedDave said:

Not true on the last point. Handed out to many who didn’t even go by coach

Interesting as I know many people who didn't get one, I believe the additional ones handed out were spares from the coach as sizes didn't fit.

Those people on the coach that a shirt didn't fit were given a voucher to collect a shirt next time at the club shop 

It certainly wasn't a case of everyone going being offered one 

2 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Some of the attitudes on here.....

"Just go....get behind the lads"

Pricks. I would absolutely love to be able to afford away games, but welcome to living in Bristol in 2019. Cost of living means I, like many others....barely make enough to cover rent / mortgages and bills etc 

Fair play to you if you can afford the money to just get up and go and you don't have to worry about it. But don't come on here and make out like it's something everyone has the luxury of doing 

Well said.

I wouldn't concur with people being called pricks though, but mostly agree.

Bristol is a place with quite a few expenses but wages in varied sectors lower than they might appear.

Think people can live in their bubbles a bit, hence partial reason for dismissal of this idea for example.

That's one theory anyway.

Bottom line though is that football is an expensive business, Bristol is an expensive city.

Put it all together and yeah some of the attitudes on the thread can stick in the craw at times.

On 04/05/2019 at 09:51, OldlandReddies said:

I have a sneaky feeling that the SLO no response is because the club have already planned a 'thankyou' gesture for those that travel up. Looking forward to my gift on arrival at the ground.

You seem in the know I guess.

Couldn't tag you in the post but this was an intriguing post!

Hull away at 12.30pm kickoff even for a big game? Impressive effort! Factor in a Sunday, so train not an option unless night before and it's better still 

We're all ears, well I am at least- so what was it?

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hi- looking forward to hearing what super duper prize there was @OldlandReddies ?

Probably was too good a prize- it's a secret? Wish I'd gone now! ?:yes:

(Promise that's the last I'll post about it- I suspect being there to cheer on the lads was prize enough and going would have been good).

It was the opportunity to see stefan Marinovic for one last time before he goes

Obviously... 

9 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

It was the opportunity to see stefan Marinovic for one last time before he goes

Obviously... 

Yeah that'll be it- should've given him 5 mins at the end just for the fun when it became clear that we'd be 8th- to say his farewells!

I take it back- if that was the case I really did miss out! :yes:

On 04/05/2019 at 22:40, phantom said:

t certainly wasn't a case of everyone going being offered one 

Just to make it clear. Walk through turnstile, city bod directed you to table , get free shirt, mark ticket. Not got your size ... go to club shop with ticket next game , get free shirt.  so if you were there in away end , you were offered one.

If the club HAD wanted to put on free coaches on Sunday ( we took four CATS coaches) I am led to believe they would have had a chunk of change left out of five grand. But I guess they thought the money was better spent on less than a weeks wages of a player who don’t even make the bench. ( I’ve no particular player in mind but there must be plenty on £5000 a week minimum)

28 minutes ago, RedM said:

If the club HAD wanted to put on free coaches on Sunday ( we took four CATS coaches) I am led to believe they would have had a chunk of change left out of five grand. But I guess they thought the money was better spent on less than a weeks wages of a player who don’t even make the bench. ( I’ve no particular player in mind but there must be plenty on £5000 a week minimum)

Am I therefore to assume that there was no surprise awaiting away fans making the journey- apart from nobody to open up of course? :yes:

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Am I therefore to assume that there was no surprise awaiting away fans making the journey- apart from nobody to open up of course? :yes:

Ha ha no surprise, not even an out of date over priced Easter Egg ?

12 hours ago, StGeorge said:

Just to make it clear. Walk through turnstile, city bod directed you to table , get free shirt, mark ticket. Not got your size ... go to club shop with ticket next game , get free shirt.  so if you were there in away end , you were offered one.

Well myself and two colleagues I met up with were talking about this at Hull on Sunday, none of the three of us saw anything at the turnstiles

I would question why it was clearly only a small group were wearing the shirts in the pictures taken at the ground that day too?

2 hours ago, RedM said:

Not doubting you, as it is quite easy to work out the cost to hire a coach

Roughly 250 seats over 5 coaches, what were the costs £31 members, £36 non members?

That is one hell of a profit the club are making there

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Not doubting you, as it is quite easy to work out the cost to hire a coach

Roughly 250 seats over 5 coaches, what were the costs £31 members, £36 non members?

That is one hell of a profit the club are making there

Going back a bit I know but last trip to Wembley we paid £17 included parked at ground, free raffle, snacks and sweets for the kids pick up around North Somerset. I believe the club charged in the region of £30.

Archived