IGNORED

Progress

elhombrecito

Obviously, I hope that the stars align on Sunday and we sneak into the playoffs and extend our season, but even if not I think it's definitely worth looking at how far we've come in the last few years, both in terms of league positions and off the pitch.

2012/13 - 24th/Championship - Avg Attendance: 13,348

2013/14 - 12th/League 1 - Avg Attendance: 11,929

2014/15 - 1st/League 1 - Avg Attendance: 12,056

2015/16 - 18th/Championship - Avg Attendance: 15,292

2016/17 - 17th/Championship - Avg Attendance: 19,256

2017/18 - 11th/Championship - Avg Attendance: 20,953

2018/19 - 8th*/Championship - Avg Attendance: 21,079

*at least

As you can see, following our last relegation, we've improved our league position and average attendance in every single season. And just look at the difference between this season's average attendance and that in our final season in our last stint in the Championship.

Hopefully, Rotherham and West Brom can do us a favour on Sunday, but even if not let's just appreciate the progress we're making and hope it continues next year.

As you say can't be worse than 8th and given improvement was what SL expected, can't argue that LJ has meet expectations. Shame he couldn't exceed expectations by getting us in the play-offs (I know with an unlikely set of results this could still happen). He has 1 year left on his contract, imagine SL will want to see us achieve a top 6 position next season, or it will be time for LJ to move on.

23 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Obviously, I hope that the stars align on Sunday and we sneak into the playoffs and extend our season, but even if not I think it's definitely worth looking at how far we've come in the last few years, both in terms of league positions and off the pitch.

*at least

As you can see, following our last relegation, we've improved our league position and average attendance in every single season. And just look at the difference between this season's average attendance and that in our final season in our last stint in the Championship.

Hopefully, Rotherham and West Brom can do us a favour on Sunday, but even if not let's just appreciate the progress we're making and hope it continues next year.

Progress is good of course but we really need to kick on now. We can’t afford to be satisfied with mediocre finishes because eventually we will fall through the trap door and the attendances will drop dramatically. Similar to what has happened to Ipswich!

The club is in a great position, but we need to really challenge now.

36 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I never thought i would ever see such high attendances whilst in the championship. Club have done a superb job. I think the whole match day experience is so much better now, and that must be a huge reason for the higher attendances.

The redevelopment of AG has been a significant factor in that. 

I posted previously that theses days the whole match day experience is as good as I can remember. It starts with the  fanzone ( what a great idea btw). Decent food and drink outlets outside and in the concourse. Clean toilets......:shocking:......Three impressive new stands. Now all that’s needed is a clear PA system........

On the pitch - disappointing at times with City struggling to put away the likes of Ipswich and Wigan but impressive against the likes of the Blades and Baggies......If LJ can sort out the home form and continue with the away form we’d definitely be a serious force next season.

50 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I posted previously that theses days the whole match day experience is as good as I can remember. It starts with the  fanzone ( what a great idea btw). Decent food and drink outlets outside and in the concourse. Clean toilets......:shocking:......Three impressive new stands. Now all that’s needed is a clear PA system........

On the pitch - disappointing at times with City struggling to put away the likes of Ipswich and Wigan but impressive against the likes of the Blades and Baggies......If LJ can sort out the home form and continue with the away form we’d definitely be a serious force next season.

Nope.

A clear PA system is not all that’s needed.

I’d settle for a decent right back, decent midfield combatant and a free scoring forward.

You driving your minibus on Sunday? ?

2 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Progress is good of course but we really need to kick on now. We can’t afford to be satisfied with mediocre finishes because eventually we will fall through the trap door and the attendances will drop dramatically. Similar to what has happened to Ipswich!

The club is in a great position, but we need to really challenge now.

There's no reason to think we can't continue the year on year progress we've been making, which points to a top six finish next year, which definitely isn't mediocre. 

53 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

There's no reason to think we can't continue the year on year progress we've been making, which points to a top six finish next year, which definitely isn't mediocre. 

Yep, hopefully Man City, Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal and Bristol City will all be in the top 6 mix next season ?

3 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Let's not forget attendances rise with the league position, for example, the crowd last Saturday would have been much lower if we were 12th with no prospects.

True, but in the year that we finished 4th in the Championship and reached the play-off final, we only averaged 16,276 compared to over 21,000 this season.

1 minute ago, elhombrecito said:

True, but in the year that we finished 4th in the Championship and reached the play-off final, we only averaged 16,276 compared to over 21,000 this season.

If anyone can be bothered work this out, I would guess that's a higher proportion of the maximum capacity at that time?

53 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I try not to forget that there was a time in 2013/14 when we were rock bottom of League 1 staring down the barrel of a double relegation and a season in League 2. 

The recovery from that point has been very, very good.

It's been more steady and sustainable than our last stint near the bottom of League One.

The Tinnion-Johnson season we were bottom in December 2005 and still in and around the drop zone, in February I think!

Year and a half on, what a ride- 2 years on in fact top of the Championship! A great time...yet this one feels more durable.

Back on topic, it is good to see. Really it is- let's hope that next step will be playoffs next- or even if we pull a miracle this- season!

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

I try not to forget that there was a time in 2013/14 when we were rock bottom of League 1 staring down the barrel of a double relegation and a season in League 2. 

I distinctly remember being sat in the rain on a miserable Saturday in Preston in November 2013 a fearing the worst. We'd just lost 1-0, only won a game all season, were in the relegation zone, didn't have a manager and looked shambolic. 

You are right, the rejig and revival has been really impressive.

2 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

I distinctly remember being sat in the rain on a miserable Saturday in Preston in November 2013 a fearing the worst. We'd just lost 1-0, only won a game all season, were in the relegation zone, didn't have a manager and looked shambolic. 

Didn't it take until end of October to get that first League win?

A JET special IIRC.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

On all divvy Saunders isn’t it? 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A JET special IIRC.

It was something like that. The only game I got to that season was the 1-1 with Oldham at home. Another JET goal I think. I was huddled in the Williams with my dad as the rain poured down on a cold November day. Utter dirge.

2 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A JET special IIRC.

30 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Jet hatrick away at Carlisle, I think Wagstaff got the other and we won 4-2.

Yep, that was a miserable season! After stuffing Carlisle away we then beat the mighty Crawley at home a week or so later but those were temporary blips! SOD was relieved of his duties just before that trip to PNE ...

10 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Ground only held about 19,000 with segregation though .

Highest attendance that year was 19,332 so it's fair to assume that was roughly the capacity that year.

Still, we must have had quite a few attendances in the 14,000 range to average 16,276 for the season. We have more season ticket holders alone these days.

3 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Highest attendance that year was 19,332 so it's fair to assume that was roughly the capacity that year.

Still, we must have had quite a few attendances in the 14,000 range to average 16,276 for the season. We have more season ticket holders alone these days.

Fair comment although not all away teams will have used up their allocation of course.

Definitely progress no doubt about it.

7 hours ago, old_eastender said:

As you say can't be worse than 8th and given improvement was what SL expected, can't argue that LJ has meet expectations. Shame he couldn't exceed expectations by getting us in the play-offs (I know with an unlikely set of results this could still happen). He has 1 year left on his contract, imagine SL will want to see us achieve a top 6 position next season, or it will be time for LJ to move on.

Move On? Give it a rest, LJ is a talented coach, what on Earth does he have to do to convince you and some other like minded individuals? If I was the owner I would be tying him down for another 5 years. The progress is there in Black and White, and given the upward trend, like a HL Investment fund we will probably improve on this season too. Why would anyone not see the progress but only failure looming?

Unless you are dyed in the wool anti LJ at any costs. You outed Pato so many times it was embarrassing, and yet he is probably the most talented player in the squad, if not the league on his day, I shouldn't therefore be surprised you don't rate Lee. 

39 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Move On? Give it a rest, LJ is a talented coach, what on Earth does he have to do to convince you and some other like minded individuals? If I was the owner I would be tying him down for another 5 years. The progress is there in Black and White, and given the upward trend, like a HL Investment fund we will probably improve on this season too. Why would anyone not see the progress but only failure looming?

Unless you are dyed in the wool anti LJ at any costs. You outed Pato so many times it was embarrassing, and yet he is probably the most talented player in the squad, if not the league on his day, I shouldn't therefore be surprised you don't rate Lee. 

Ironically and somewhat inevitably, Lee Johnson's job will be at much greater risk if we get promotion.

For the time-being he more that deserves to keep his job and hopefully build on this season's progress.

Attendance wise I think the redevelopment of the gate is significant. 

The whole match day experience has changed. I’d never of purchased food or drink as a ST holder before the redevelopment, now its part of every game, trying different outlets in the fans village/concourses. 

Also the championship is incredibly competitive, many big clubs and decent players at this level now say than 10 years ago.

My friends who have always supported prem teams are now Season Tickets holders here. 

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

10 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

*at least

Surprising that our average attendance in league 1 only increased by 127 despite finishing top.

Archived