IGNORED

Trains

Markman

Not sure if anyone is up to speed on getting the best Train Ticket Prices

Basically we need to go to London next May (3 Adults) prob from Parkway (or TM) - we really need to keep the cost down (going on a Friday coming back on the Saturday) - what is the best way to get the very best priced tickets?

Can you get them months in advance or would buying a railcard be worth it - just wondered if anyone knew so I can plan ahead

Cheers

Advanced Singles off peak usually best value, it means you have to travel on the specified train but generally the cheapest option you'll find. 

I would use a train split ticket website BUT correlate this price to another website that doesnt split tickets.

If the split ticket price is lower, I'd then write down the destinations as these "split ticket" websites charge you 10% so If you wrote it down and then ordered online as a separate tickets via GWR who doesnt charge you 10%, you've saved 10% on the price that the lower priced split ticket website just gave you which was lower than the advanced fare a non split ticket website gave you.

Yeah sounds really complicated doesnt it, however sometimes the advanced fare straight through might be cheaper on occasion. 

On some journeys you can get Groupsave too if three or more people are travelling together, as you are. If you use the GWR website it should automatically calculate it, think it’s a third off so really good. The price shown usually says Groupsave or ‘G’. It’s not available for all journeys or all dates, eg if there is a big event such as a concert or a big sporting event, eg FA Cup then they know trains will be busy and take away the option.

I did manage to get it for Glastonbury a couple of years ago though, booked it in advance 12 weeks before, and gotvaway with it as the website didn’t realise the dates. Station staff said it shouldn’t have been discounted but had to let me travel as I did nothing wrong, i purchased in good faith.

You do have to travel together in your group though, eg you can’t buy using this discount and one or more of you don’t return at the same time, or you will have to pay full fare. The tickets have the ‘G’ after the price paid on them.

Archived