IGNORED

Johnson's Presser

BristolBEAT

LJ with some very strong statements in his press conference. Picked the ones which stood out.

- We will get players in during the summer. Multiple.
- I want to be really bold in the summer. I will give my bold presentation to the board.
- If they aren't on the bus , they won't be at Bristol City next year. Does this mean to Hull or on-board with the players coming in to replace them thing?

7 minutes ago, BristolBEAT said:

LJ with some very strong statements in his press conference. Picked the ones which stood out.

- I want to be really bold in the summer. I will give my bold presentation to the board.
- If they aren't on the bus , they won't be at Bristol City next year. Does this mean to Hull or on-board with the players coming in to replace them thing?

I think that's a metaphorical bus he's talking about. Don't think he's trimming the squad size down to 18.  ?

6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Well, he did say the other day that he wanted to stay, with the caveat that the club had the same ambitions as him. Now he has thrown the gauntlet.

To be honest I haven't heard of a queue around the block for his services. SL has seen teams promoted without spending tens of millions and I would be very surprised if he didn't tell LJ and MA to balance the books if they want to bring players in.

LJ is very lucky to have the boss he has so shouldn't be rocking the boat.

29 minutes ago, BristolBEAT said:

Have to be honest is the time to make bold statements like this? Should he not wait and make after the Hull game if we don’t get into the play offs ?

31 minutes ago, BristolBEAT said:

Blimey. That means a complete overhaul as they're flying up, fasten your seatbelts...

47 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think that's a metaphorical bus he's talking about. Don't think he's trimming the squad size down to 18.  ?

You are probably right though our current squad is 26, so if we are bringing in 6-7 players, then we need to look to trim down to around 18 players. If we are looking at improvements on our current squad (else whats the point) then maybe he was being literal.

Bluntly, there are no excuses next season. We have improved year on year. West Brom and/or Villa (depending on if both are still in the division) could improve next season and I'd expect to see more from Stoke but there could be three relatively weak teams coming down and it could be a very open division. Given what we have done this year, there is every reason to feel we could and should be serious contenders next season. 

SL has done absolutely the right thing in building slowly and developing sustainably and that has been a success. Back in 07/08, we had a great season but no foundations to continue from. The foundations are there and now is the time to capitalise. That doesn't mean spending stupid money or gambling everything on future success but it does mean smart, ambitious transfer business targeting talented players in their early 20s who might not be cheap but might be worth significantly more in the future. More Webster-type signings basically. 

44 minutes ago, Super said:

Talk about bad luck for the guy.

Absolutely. But, if we are being ruthless, we have to assume he may not be back and at his best at all next season and sign someone who can take his place. 

Do we reckon he'd count making Dasilva permanent as bringing in a new player? After the season he's had you've got to think we are looking at taking that option from Chelsea and have made the player an offer? Get him exclusively on shooting practice in the summer and we could have one of, if not the, best LB in the division next year.

Archived