IGNORED

Johnson's Presser

BristolBEAT

In fairness to LJ since that losing run, he has grabbed this club by the scruff of its neck and dragged it forward, with season on season improvement.

He has been backed in the past, but I think he has earned the right and trust of SL to back him even further. This is what LJ is after. The three or  four blue chip players that need to come in.  Think Barry Bannan type players. 

However, Bristol City recruitment is a double edged sword. Wages and desirability. 

Desirability. The last two seasons have given us fantastic moments. We are now a credible threat in this league and can now be considered a destination for players. We have come of age, mirrored by LJ's progress. Surely players want to be part of this journey of ours. 

Wages. Well this will truly be the measure of intent and define the pool of talent these 7 new players will come from. 

Stevo

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

To be honest I haven't heard of a queue around the block for his services. SL has seen teams promoted without spending tens of millions and I would be very surprised if he didn't tell LJ and MA to balance the books if they want to bring players in.

LJ is very lucky to have the boss he has so shouldn't be rocking the boat.

So...I'd like to know where he got the notion ..to rock the boat.

1 minute ago, Bazooka Joe said:

So...I'd like to know where he got the notion ..to rock the boat.

Have a look at the post I responded to - "he did say the other day that he wanted to stay, with the caveat that the club had the same ambitions as him. Now he has thrown the gauntlet."

to me, doing that is rocking the boat.

Haven't heard the press conference so took china pig's comments as gospel.

To be honest I haven't heard of a queue around the block for his services. SL has seen teams promoted without spending tens of millions and I would be very surprised if he didn't tell LJ and MA to balance the books if they want to bring players in.

Yes but he's proved what he can do in the champ and is a valuable manager now. It's turning on SL to be lucky he has LJ soon.

1 minute ago, Loon plage said:

Have a look at the post I responded to - "he did say the other day that he wanted to stay, with the caveat that the club had the same ambitions as him. Now he has thrown the gauntlet."

I think Bazooka Joe is trying to say that our team is like a ship on the ocean
We've been sailing with a cargo full of love and devotion

6 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Ahem! ?

1 hour ago, BristolBEAT said:

LJ with some very strong statements in his press conference. Picked the ones which stood out.

- We will get players in during the summer. Multiple.
- I want to be really bold in the summer. I will give my bold presentation to the board.
- If they aren't on the bus , they won't be at Bristol City next year. Does this mean to Hull or on-board with the players coming in to replace them thing?

1. We always do

2. He’s shaving his hair off . 

3. Cars banned from Ashton Gate .

I could have misinterpreted the information.

To be fair to LJ, he is delivering season upon season progression for this club. We are more than an established championship club now and have had both league and cup success of late.

He was forced into sales of our 3 best players last season and whilst spending a fraction of that has improved our performance again this season.

The club is still considered to be over performing based on expenditure and the squad we have and this is largely down to LJ.  

Many bigger name clubs have expressed interest in him and he has stayed faithful to us.

Now, we have a premiership worthy stadium, and top manager and now lets hope the board gives him the same faith in return and a backs him fully in the transfer market. I think if the board had backed him more (e.g. going for Jack Marriot rather than settling with Mo Eisa) then we could have had a very different season this year.

I don't wholly agree. LJ needs to assess whether he has credit in the bank and use it wisely when he does so but his job is to do what he can to get the resources he needs. You don't want a return to the last days of Cotts where he utterly mis-judged things and spent six months sulking to the press and openly at war with the board but, if LJ is confident and calling it right, publicly calling on the club to be ambitious and build on momentum could be a calculated gamble that pays off. 

13 minutes ago, City18 said:

To be fair to LJ, he is delivering season upon season progression for this club. We are more than an established championship club now and have had both league and cup success of late.

He was forced into sales of our 3 best players last season and whilst spending a fraction of that has improved our performance again this season.

The club is still considered to be over performing based on expenditure and the squad we have and this is largely down to LJ.  

Many bigger name clubs have expressed interest in him and he has stayed faithful to us.

Now, we have a premiership worthy stadium, and top manager and now lets hope the board gives him the same faith in return and a backs him fully in the transfer market. I think if the board had backed him more (e.g. going for Jack Marriot rather than settling with Mo Eisa) then we could have had a very different season this year.

Who ? Genuine question.

As for a striker we don't know what Eisa would have done do we to be fair.

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Who would be gutted if he left . After his rollercoaster tenure. I would and I wanted him sacked twice 

I certainly think it would set us back. He's in, he's doing well and has had time to build the team he wants. It would be a real frustration to start again from scratch.

Next season has been planned as the 'big push'. FFP is in our favour...players have been lined up pre January. Some deals already agreed. All been under the radar...but planned never the less. Next season will be exciting in terms of incoming.

2 hours ago, Loon plage said:

Who ? Genuine question.

As for a striker we don't know what Eisa would have done do we to be fair.

West Brom, Aston Villa and Stoke all had him linked to their jobs.

He was on the shortlist for Villa before Bruce got the job, that's why he got the contract extension before the big losing run in 16/17

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

Next season has been planned as the 'big push'. FFP is in our favour...players have been lined up pre January. Some deals already agreed. All been under the radar...but planned never the less. Next season will be exciting in terms of incoming.

You tease

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

How soon are these likely to be announced? Find it difficult to think that any of these players will be in contract, as surely a club couldn’t accept a transfer happening/being secured while there’s still games to play? 

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

God I hope you are right. I think we are close as it is. 3 quality additions and I reckon we could have a real crack.

4 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

How soon are these likely to be announced? Find it difficult to think that any of these players will be in contract, as surely a club couldn’t accept a transfer happening/being secured while there’s still games to play? 

Lots of unofficial deals are agreed outside the transfer windows. Contracts are so complex these days...it's physically impossible to plan anything of worth in the restraints of the transfer window. Agents are talking all the time. Most deals fail when the domino effect fails. As in other players don't move and wages aren't free'd up. Clubs are having to be so much more 'secretive' because of the restraints. It's no coincidence that since LJ has been here, that 'leads' have dried up. Agents, players and CEO's talk 24/7. It's the bloomin transfer windows that screw Clubs up like us though.

Archived