IGNORED

Johnson's Presser

BristolBEAT

19 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

How soon are these likely to be announced? Find it difficult to think that any of these players will be in contract, as surely a club couldn’t accept a transfer happening/being secured while there’s still games to play? 

Contracts end June 30th if I’m not mistaken . So early July I presume 

44 minutes ago, spudski said:

Next season has been planned as the 'big push'. FFP is in our favour...players have been lined up pre January. Some deals already agreed. All been under the radar...but planned never the less. Next season will be exciting in terms of incoming.

This season would make sense for a big push.

So too in a sense would next season though- because if we saved this summer- and I'm not advocating this, but kept the bulk of the squad together the 2017/18 £20m (after FFP deductions) would drop off the books and we could do a Wolves type expenditure IMO.

Still yeah, we made tough decisions and we didn't go in properly from what I can gather for Assombalonga in January. However, but that could have been the domino effect in action too- so yeah I hope we see some intent this summer- we've been patient, we restructured this season.

4 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Bluntly, there are no excuses next season. We have improved year on year. West Brom and/or Villa (depending on if both are still in the division) could improve next season and I'd expect to see more from Stoke but there could be three relatively weak teams coming down and it could be a very open division. Given what we have done this year, there is every reason to feel we could and should be serious contenders next season. 

SL has done absolutely the right thing in building slowly and developing sustainably and that has been a success. Back in 07/08, we had a great season but no foundations to continue from. The foundations are there and now is the time to capitalise. That doesn't mean spending stupid money or gambling everything on future success but it does mean smart, ambitious transfer business targeting talented players in their early 20s who might not be cheap but might be worth significantly more in the future. More Webster-type signings basically. 

Absolutely. But, if we are being ruthless, we have to assume he may not be back and at his best at all next season and sign someone who can take his place. 

If Villa are still in the Champ next season, then I am expecting them to be under embargo and starting the season with minus points.  They scraped in under the £61m rolling period til 17-18 (£35m Prem + £13m + £13m).  They are down to a £15m parachute in 18-19, and no longer have the cushion of a year of £35m.  Mr P reckons they’re somewhere in the region if £25-30m if not more over the £39m including allowances!

24 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

How soon are these likely to be announced? Find it difficult to think that any of these players will be in contract, as surely a club couldn’t accept a transfer happening/being secured while there’s still games to play? 

May we’ll have legitimately approached clubs, and agreed deals, but like you I doubt they’ll have concluded those deals until we know which division we are in.  Registration window is June 9th.  Domestic transfers from 6th May (16th May Prem).

Good article here:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11709512/when-does-the-premier-league-transfer-window-open-and-close

Looks like LJ wants to move quickly.  With earlier deadline, he will want to know exactly what he has going into first game.

edit: no loans possible after window shuts, unlike this season.  Lots of clubs exploited that!

3 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I think Bazooka Joe is trying to say that our team is like a ship on the ocean
We've been sailing with a cargo full of love and devotion

Well, I'd like to know where he got that notion...

3 hours ago, Loon plage said:

Have a look at the post I responded to - "he did say the other day that he wanted to stay, with the caveat that the club had the same ambitions as him. Now he has thrown the gauntlet."

to me, doing that is rocking the boat.

Haven't heard the press conference so took china pig's comments as gospel.

Whoosh 

5 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

WOW, just WOW !

5 hours ago, BristolBEAT said:

Constructive contribution to  the discussion ?

5 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

problem?

No problem whatsoever if it gives me a chance to put up another video of this lady

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Next season has been planned as the 'big push'. FFP is in our favour...players have been lined up pre January. Some deals already agreed. All been under the radar...but planned never the less. Next season will be exciting in terms of incoming.

Had a feeling we will go for it this summer, good to hear! 

4 hours ago, Loon plage said:

Who ? Genuine question.

As for a striker we don't know what Eisa would have done do we to be fair.

He got approached for the stoke and West Brom jobs I believe? Perhaps this was just speculation.

I suppose Eisa is a bit of an unknown but he's nearly 25, if not already so should be making immediate impact - certainly too old to be one for the future. He has done nothing and not even barely made the squad. I firmly believe we would have been 5-10 points better off had we not gone for the budget option and landed Jack Marriott. He only cost £3 mill to derby and is younger than Eisa 

Who would stand and clap if he were to come back as an oppo boss in the future?(I reckon almost everyone) :laugh: Seems an odd thing to say, but this could well happen and I do believe him when he says he is a BCFC fan.

Whatever happens, thanks for this season Lee. Top guy

As we know, there will be trading done. We will likely sell odowda and get some good money for him, same with baker as he will want to play regularly and there are many in front of him. Just those two off the books would free up good funds and wages.

add to that Taylor, fielding and Watkins being sold, and Pisano and maenpaa likely being released, that will red up a lot more wages and some extra cash to add to sales of Bryan, flint and Reid and any additional funds provided for a new budget.

doesnt mean we will spend it all but it puts us in a strong position to compete in the summer for some decent players.

exciting times hopefully if we can get our acts together with recruitment

Hang on. My big take from this presser is actually that LJ says he had, simultaneously:

1. Swansea v Derby on the radio;
  2. Barcelona v Liverpool on the TV;
  3. Some footage of Hull on the laptop; and
  4. Was writing up formations for Sunday's game.

One task at a time Lee. FFS.

19 minutes ago, City18 said:

I firmly believe we would have been 5-10 points better off had we not gone for the budget option and landed Jack Marriott. He only cost £3 mill to derby and is younger than Eisa 

Better comparison might be:

Andy Weimann £2m 10 goals

Jack Marriott £3m 10 goals 

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Hang on. My big take from this presser is actually that LJ says he had, simultaneously:

1. Swansea v Derby on the radio;
  2. Barcelona v Liverpool on the TV;
  3. Some footage of Hull on the laptop; and
  4. Was writing up formations for Sunday's game.

One task at a time Lee. FFS.

For me it was:

Liverpool / Barca on telly

Swansea / Derby on bbc sport on one half of my iPad screen

Twitter - on the other half of the screen

OTIB open on iPhone.

If I could’ve found a stream of the Swansea game, I might’ve put that on the Mac.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

For me it was:

Liverpool / Barca on telly

Swansea / Derby on bbc sport on one half of my iPad screen

Twitter - on the other half of the screen

OTIB open on iPhone.

If I could’ve found a stream of the Swansea game, I might’ve put that on the Mac.

I'm a failure then. I can only properly concentrate on one game at a time. I've tried dual screening but just end up focussing on one.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'm a failure then. I can only properly concentrate on one game at a time. I've tried dual screening but just end up focussing on one.

Got to say, 90% of my focus was on the Liverpool game.

Saturdays when we’re away is usually:

- stream of city on Mac

- twitter on iphone

- OTIB on iPad....although tabs open on bbc champ/ prem etc.....

- notes app open on side swipe for anything interesting to put on OTIB later

- Radio bristol 719 muted on telly in case stream goes down.

43 minutes ago, City18 said:

I firmly believe we would have been 5-10 points better off had we not gone for the budget option and landed Jack Marriott. He only cost £3 mill to derby and is younger than Eisa 

Totally glossing over that Marriott wanted to go to Derby because of Lampard so we wouldn't have landed him....

3 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

West Brom, Aston Villa and Stoke all had him linked to their jobs.

He was on the shortlist for Villa before Bruce got the job, that's why he got the contract extension before the big losing run in 16/17

LJ was rumoured to be linked to the Villa job back then, but the short list was Sean Dyche, David Wagner and Steve Bruce ....

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

LJ was rumoured to be linked to the Villa job back then, but the short list was Sean Dyche, David Wagner and Steve Bruce ....

Ah, he was on the long list when they had a list of 10, but not part of the 3 it was whittled down to.

Still heavily considered by them.

5 hours ago, spudski said:

That's going to be really screwed then if we managed promotion this season! ?

The Bristol ? rebrand (which many thought was a bad joke) coincided with the club getting very serious on player recruitment and determined to be up with the best.

I feel the Robins rebranding is going to be equally exciting and we may well see the signings we have craved for the last 2 or 3 windows - going to be a long but potentially very exciting summer and anybody still on the fence  about a season ticket next year really should take the plunge - something feels like 19/20 is going to be a big season !!

Archived