IGNORED

Johnson's Presser

BristolBEAT

10 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

West Brom, Aston Villa and Stoke all had him linked to their jobs.

He was on the shortlist for Villa before Bruce got the job, that's why he got the contract extension before the big losing run in 16/17

Linked by newspapers and bookmakers fairly certain there was no official approach from any of those clubs.

8 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Hang on. My big take from this presser is actually that LJ says he had, simultaneously:

1. Swansea v Derby on the radio;
  2. Barcelona v Liverpool on the TV;
  3. Some footage of Hull on the laptop; and
  4. Was writing up formations for Sunday's game.

One task at a time Lee. FFS.

Let's see what the line-up is…:noexp:

I think the owner has always been as ambitious as the Manager, but there he has always been keen to move forward in a prudent way. It's a difficult balance but, when you see some of the other financial disasters across football, who can seriously blame him? 

People talk about buying more expensive players and paying higher wages, but those sort of signings have so many other financial issues to consider that are forgotten about, sign on fees, agents fees, various bonuses are all going to be commensurately higher. 

I would love to see 3 or 4 good signings but equally want to see our local talent in and around the squad more, another difficult balance for the Management team.

8 hours ago, eric04 said:

Better comparison might be:

Andy Weimann £2m 10 goals

Jack Marriott £3m 10 goals 

To a point, however we had already signed weimann when we were pursuing Marriott. However, I seem to recall us deciding to bypass the Marriott deal and go straight for Eisa who was linked as a target to replace Marriott at Peterborough? 

8 hours ago, hodge said:

Totally glossing over that Marriott wanted to go to Derby because of Lampard so we wouldn't have landed him....

I don't know the reasoning for him signing so ill take your word and accept I may be wrong about this. However, how many times have we had been in for top players only for them all to end up elsewhere? Gayle, Gray, Wells, Maguire, Assombalonga, Hogan.

All of those players are much better than what we have at the moment, and while they may have been expensive - I don't think we wouldn't have been able to recoup the money spent on these players. 

9 hours ago, BOSRed said:

As we know, there will be trading done. We will likely sell odowda and get some good money for him, same with baker as he will want to play regularly and there are many in front of him. Just those two off the books would free up good funds and wages.

add to that Taylor, fielding and Watkins being sold, and Pisano and maenpaa likely being released, that will red up a lot more wages and some extra cash to add to sales of Bryan, flint and Reid and any additional funds provided for a new budget.

doesnt mean we will spend it all but it puts us in a strong position to compete in the summer for some decent players.

exciting times hopefully if we can get our acts together with recruitment

Can’t see there being many takers for Watkins, going to take a hit on him.

9 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

Can’t see there being many takers for Watkins, going to take a hit on him.

Barnsley , perhaps, now they’re back in this division.

A loan with view to buy .

Watkins has been a strange buy . I don’t see how he fits in with our style of play .

He was unlucky to get injured as well.

10 hours ago, eric04 said:

Better comparison might be:

Andy Weimann £2m 10 goals

Jack Marriott £3m 10 goals 

Going to contradict myself here slightly. Marriott cost quite a bit more than £3m, but Marriott has also only started 19 games as opposed to Weimann's 39.

Marriott is the better player and the one with big resale value potential in future, but of course there's a reason why Weimann cost less than half of what Marriott did and why Derby were willing to offload him in order to free up space for Marriott to come in.

14 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Going to contradict myself here slightly. Marriott cost quite a bit more than £3m, but Marriott has also only started 19 games as opposed to Weimann's 39.

Marriott is the better player and the one with big resale value potential in future, but of course there's a reason why Weimann cost less than half of what Marriott did and why Derby were willing to offload him in order to free up space for Marriott to come in.

How is Marriott the better player  ?

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I think the owner has always been as ambitious as the Manager, but there he has always been keen to move forward in a prudent way. It's a difficult balance but, when you see some of the other financial disasters across football, who can seriously blame him? 

People talk about buying more expensive players and paying higher wages, but those sort of signings have so many other financial issues to consider that are forgotten about, sign on fees, agents fees, various bonuses are all going to be commensurately higher. 

I would love to see 3 or 4 good signings but equally want to see our local talent in and around the squad more, another difficult balance for the Management team.

For me (and LJ from what he has said previously) recruitment has to bring in players either:

1. better than you have already.  That improves quality of the team.
  2. make the players you have better.  That improves the quality of the team too.

a couple of examples.  Wade Elliott, he was probably 1 & 2 above, but he brought raised standards too through his leadership on the pitch.  For me, the promotion winning player Cotts didn’t replace, and it cost him.  In fact he didn’t need to replace him, just keep him in the squad!  Another, less obvious is Kasey Palmer.  I know I rate him, but just look how Pato sparked off him at Millwall, Weimann at Sheff Utd and Forest away.  There is a player who can spark others.  Can Lee find a way to play him regularly.  He hasn’t this season, but LJ now knows the player, what he can do, what he can’t do.  If he believes he is worth buying, it will be done with a pre-season to drill a way of playing Palmer, but also Palmer being drilled to be more of a team player. 

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I was gonna ask that?  Better finisher, granted.  But Weimann (imho) is a far better player.

34 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I was gonna ask that?  Better finisher, granted.  But Weimann (imho) is a far better player.

Matter of opinion really isn't it. There's a reason that Derby let Weimann go to bring in Marriott, he's a quicker striker that poses more of a threat and has a much better goal record.

City have always liked Marriott, us and Brighton were seriously looking at him when he was at Luton but he then got a nasty injury and struggled to get into their side after. In the summer we went for Marriott before we ended up with Weimann, so I think that's pretty telling.

No disrespect to Weimann either as I quite like him. We could have done and in the past definitely have done worse for two million pounds.

6 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Matter of opinion really isn't it. There's a reason that Derby let Weimann go to bring in Marriott, he's a quicker striker that poses more of a threat and has a much better goal record.

City have always liked Marriott, us and Brighton were seriously looking at him when he was at Luton but he then got a nasty injury and struggled to get into their side after. In the summer we went for Marriott before we ended up with Weimann, so I think that's pretty telling.

No disrespect to Weimann either as I quite like him. We could have done and in the past definitely have done worse for two million pounds.

Ta, opinions indeed.

Marriott currently frozen out at Derby.  FL said the other week that he was not injured, just not included.  Bit weird???

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ta, opinions indeed.

Marriott currently frozen out at Derby.  FL said the other week that he was not injured, just not included.  Bit weird???

Derby fans think he's fallen out with Lampard but it's not true. I think Waghorn has been doing well in the middle which is why he isn't playing, it's worth considering that he cost potentially £8m as well, and then they've got Nugent who's probably on the best part of £25k per week as well. Wealth of riches.

I do suspect this summer was always the target in terms of a more significant outlay - the money clawed back last summer, the revenue stream from the new stadium becoming more established and, as someone else suggested, the rebrand.

I think what’s interesting is that, by flirting with the top six as we have, Lee Johnson has added extra pressure on to the board. We’re now at a crossroads because of it.

Taking that next step to go from the periphery to the epicentre of the promotion mix is expensive, because it means sprinkling a bit of star dust throughout the spine of the team.

So are we prepared to spend that kind of money? If we’re not, I think we’ll gradually not only lose our best players (again) but the head coach and, to an extent, the fans who’ve bought into the philosophy of steady progression.

18 hours ago, Fiale said:

You are probably right though our current squad is 26, so if we are bringing in 6-7 players, then we need to look to trim down to around 18 players. If we are looking at improvements on our current squad (else whats the point) then maybe he was being literal.

I think you always need a few "first reserves" other than the 18+ on the bus.

The Cotts experience shows what happens when you try to tackle this division with a small squad.

1 hour ago, The Journalist said:

I do suspect this summer was always the target in terms of a more significant outlay - the money clawed back last summer, the revenue stream from the new stadium becoming more established and, as someone else suggested, the rebrand.

I think what’s interesting is that, by flirting with the top six as we have, Lee Johnson has added extra pressure on to the board. We’re now at a crossroads because of it.

Taking that next step to go from the periphery to the epicentre of the promotion mix is expensive, because it means sprinkling a bit of star dust throughout the spine of the team.

So are we prepared to spend that kind of money? If we’re not, I think we’ll gradually not only lose our best players (again) but the head coach and, to an extent, the fans who’ve bought into the philosophy of steady progression.

Absolutely this season has put pressure on every aspect of the club. LJ has done a decent job thus far working within SLs sustainability strategy and next season expectations will be greater because of it.

Having got so close this season LJ has greater leverage when approaching the board for extra funding. It’s a simple equation - if LJ can get us this far with a limited budget, how far could he get us with a decent war chest?

Next season could be a very successful one...............:fingerscrossed:

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Ta, opinions indeed.

2 hours ago, BessexRED said:

Derby fans think he's fallen out with Lampard but it's not true. I think Waghorn has been doing well in the middle which is why he isn't playing, it's worth considering that he cost potentially £8m as well, and then they've got Nugent who's probably on the best part of £25k per week as well. Wealth of riches.

Marriott has made 24 apparances in league and cup for Derby. I wonder whether he has one of those staged payment thresholds in his contract (eg play 25 games, pay Peterborough an additional £x?) and Derby are trying to avoid it for FFP compliance reasons?

CLUB FROM TO FEE LEAGUE FA CUP LGE CUP OTHER
        APPS GLS APPS GLS APPS GLS APPS GLS
Derby 26 Jul, 18   Undisc. 19 (14) 7 2 (1) 1 3 (1) 2 0 (0) 0

4 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Marriott has made 24 apparances in league and cup for Derby. I wonder whether he has one of those staged payment thresholds in his contract (eg play 25 games, pay Peterborough an additional £x?) and Derby are trying to avoid it for FFP compliance reasons?

CLUB FROM TO FEE LEAGUE FA CUP LGE CUP OTHER
        APPS GLS APPS GLS APPS GLS APPS GLS
Derby 26 Jul, 18   Undisc. 19 (14) 7 2 (1) 1 3 (1) 2 0 (0) 0

I wonder!

17 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

West Brom, Aston Villa and Stoke all had him linked to their jobs.

He was on the shortlist for Villa before Bruce got the job, that's why he got the contract extension before the big losing run in 16/17

I know you were talking about him making a (very) “long list” for Villa, but I’m not sure there is any evidence he was even close to the Stoke or West Brom jobs either.

It may suit your narrative that LJ must be cherished and given more millions to invest in players to sit on the bench, or loan out, while he is here; otherwise he will go, but I’m not aware any club has ever asked for permission to speak to him?

2 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I know you were talking about him making a (very) “long list” for Villa, but I’m not sure there is any evidence he was even close to the Stoke or West Brom jobs either.

It may suit your narrative that LJ must be cherished and given more millions to invest in players to sit on the bench, or loan out, while he is here; otherwise he will go, but I’m not aware any club has ever asked for permission to speak to him?

Is a list of 10 a "very long list"?

A third of those on it made up their shortlist.

And no, my "narrative" isn't that "Johnson must be cherished". I don't have a narrative.

Regarding the links to other clubs, I believe the phrase is "no smoke without fire". Whether any other club has asked to approach him I do not know, it's not something that generally gets made public, so not knowing doesn't confirm one way or another.

Perhaps thrusting presumed opinions is your "narrative"....

3 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Why do people think we have not spent money, our wage bill now is the same as the two promoted clubs, well far greater than Sheffield, and the same as Leeds. Norwich sold their 2 best players in the summer too. Leeds have the same wage bill. 2 of those clubs were below us last season. People confuse transfer fee and wages. Wages are a big factor and we have substantially increased the wage budget.  LJ needs to decide how he wants his side to play, he changed it at the end of the season, and match the players to the project. He has been here long enough, and by now the squad should be matching the plan, it is not. He has done ok, we have a points total a couple up on last season , we let in a couple fewer and scored many less. Progress ? No not really, it is just that 6th place has a lower entry point. We have stood still  in essence , though losing Reid was a big blow (Flint was replaced by Baker and Kalas, Bryan to a lesser extent by Jay and Kelly) and was not covered by the arrival of Weimann (though big wages spent) LJ will know we need to score 20 plus goals more without losing the defensive stability. Not easy. Sadly Kalas is not ours , nor is Jay so we lose two good players again if they do not sign, at a time LJ needs to transform his midfield and front line. So, my take, after 60 players we are still no closer to a cohesive side ready for promotion, and that is a big worry for next season. I hope therefore LJ can get Kalas and DaSilva in (to build on this season) , but add 3 quality players in midfield and up front . It is not all about headline fees, but wages , that is where the spending will increase again, and to do that the squad must be lean, no more than 22 players. But LJ needs to deliver next season, he has had great resources for a non parachute club, wasted too much on bit part players, and must be clear in his playing approach and match the squad to that, rather than change each season. Very very few clubs have gained promotion to the Premiership with a manager/coach that has been at the club as long as LJ (unless promoted from L1 ) , the majority fain promotion within 2 years of the arrival of a new head. 

Our wage structure is way more restrained than Sheff U, Leeds or Norwich - it has had to be for FFP. These clubs have historically had far higher crowds and revenues than ourselves which has enabledf them to attract and more importantly pay, top quality Championship players. 

That is now changing and we should be able to see the difference this summer. Fingers crossed!!

4 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Hmmmm.................................what does she mean @ 2:19 ?  :cool:

BTW I spoke to Kate earlier and she said why does Johnson have to keep dropping Niclas Eliasson when his assists record is brilliant?

Not only a pretty face, obviously.

Archived