IGNORED

curryhouses in bristol

Oh Louie louie

Has anyone here eaten at the curryhouse on harcourt road in redland lately?

Off the beaten track for me and ive not been in about 5 years.

I like the old style booths there.

I use nobanno in bishopsworth and the one in redcliffe but i fancy a change.

Was a sad day when eastern tandoori shut on north street, Always had a good madras there.

Any recommendations ?

I usually use The Clove for convenience. 2 minute walk from home. Tried a few different curries from there and each have been decent. 

Urban Tandoor just off the Centre is very good. Not a traditional curry house vibe but the food is fantastic. One of the guys I work with loves The Raj on King Street, we go there quire frequently for an early bird deal but I'm not the biggest fan - it does have old style booths though. 

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Golden Moments, Saltford

Absolutely superb in there.

I use the Barrs court or Mughal palace as it's now called, always decent in there too but Golden Moments is excellent as is Tamarind in Downend. 

I consider myself as very knowledgeable about Indian food and just two weeks ago my buddy recommended the Indian Rassasy  in Hotwells Rd, literally a short walk from the Bear.

Ive only eaten in there once but it was absolutely superb - almost flawless. It’s a bold and maybe premature claim but it was the best Indian meal I’ve ever had.

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I consider myself as very knowledgeable about Indian food and just two weeks ago my buddy recommended the Indian Rassasy  in Hotwells Rd, literally a short walk from the Bear.

Ive only eaten in there once but it was absolutely superb - almost flawless. It’s a bold and maybe premature claim but it was the best Indian meal I’ve ever had.

So you are very knowledgeable about Indian food and you are recommending one that you have only ate in once,how about others you have ate in

5 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Chai Shai 4 Jacob's Wells Rd

Not been there for a couple of years, but from my experience, it's the closest to Indian home cooking I've had!  Had the pleasure of going to a couple of Sikh weddings!  They certainly know how to "enjoy" themselves!!!

4 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

So you are very knowledgeable about Indian food and you are recommending one that you have only ate in once,how about others you have ate in

I used to consider the Raj Bari also in Hotwells the best Indian that I knew in Bristol but this new place blew it out of the water In terms of food quality with an unusual and different menu that encourages customers to try something different.

Well worth a visit if you’re in that area.

I’ll definitely be back there soon.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I have been to India a few times, the food was the main reason, there aren’t many restaurants in the UK, let alone Bristol that serve authentic food, the one I mentioned earlier in the thread is actually Bangladeshi (as are many ‘Indian restaurants’) and they do make some authentic Bangladeshi dishes.

Get your self to India if you are knowledgable and expand it, the street food is excellent, the variation in foods between regions is huge and whilst I am an Indian food enthusiast, having been for cooking lessons in India, I still wouldn’t claim to be very knowledgeable, it’s a huge subject with many variations.

Don’t eat out so often as things are, so mainly on takeaways. Shadin (Staple Hill) never let me down. Been using them for about four/five years. Had a variety of different dishes and the quality is always at least good.

Tried the odd other Indian restaurant here and there alternatively, though never as good.

Their restaurant isn’t the most ‘attractive’ but manic every weekend and popular nonetheless.

4 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Get your self to India if you are knowledgable and expand it, the street food is excellent, the variation in foods between regions is huge and whilst I am an Indian food enthusiast, having been for cooking lessons in India, I still wouldn’t claim to be very knowledgeable, it’s a huge subject with many variations.

I get that but never having been to India I’ve not experienced the street food out there. The nearest Ive got to non restaurant Indian food was several Indian doctors I worked with who brought in their own lunch and would often share it with anyone who was interested.

Many years ago I had a ‘fling’ with one Indian Doctor who home cooked the most delicious food. I ate around her place several times and it was wonderful, right down to smell in her kitchen.......the bedroom was secondary as I was only there for the food...........:whistle:

My current knowledge is based 90% on the many restaurants I’ve eaten in over 40 odd years and based on that is why  i made the bold claim that the Rassary is best Indian food I’ve tried.

My buddy who recommended it had read the rave review from the Post food critic and having ate at other place that this guy had recommended thought the Rassary was well worth a visit - how right he was!

On 03/05/2019 at 21:25, Robbored said:

Thanks for the recommendation, will have to try it. Believe the premises was formally a middle eastern place? I ate there years ago and it was decent but the location isn't great. 

I have been to India and recommend The Spice Inn in Long Ashton. The dahl is very authentic. Be quick as well as sadly it will be closed by the end of the year. 

Not Indian, but the massaman gai curry  at Everyday Thai in Fishponds is one of the best curries you'll find in Bristol.

22 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I have been to India a few times, the food was the main reason, there aren’t many restaurants in the UK, let alone Bristol that serve authentic food, the one I mentioned earlier in the thread is actually Bangladeshi (as are many ‘Indian restaurants’) and they do make some authentic Bangladeshi dishes.

It's a long way from Bristol, but if you find yourself in Taunton MR, try the Mint and Mustard. It's near the station. They do authentic Keralan south Indian food. There are a few branches in South Wales too.

On 04/05/2019 at 21:29, Kid in the Riot said:

Thanks for the recommendation, will have to try it. Believe the premises was formally a middle eastern place? I ate there years ago and it was decent but the location isn't great. 

I have been to India and recommend The Spice Inn in Long Ashton. The dahl is very authentic. Be quick as well as sadly it will be closed by the end of the year. 

Not Indian, but the massaman gai curry  at Everyday Thai in Fishponds is one of the best curries you'll find in Bristol.

I approve of this.

Go to Westward Ho! and you’ll find the same option in another Thai called Morans and it’s equally as good.

Couple of recommendations- wasn't aware Chai Shai was Indian btw, assumed it was some other form of Asian food but passed it many times. Will have to have a look.

Ahmed's Masala Cafe on Hotwells is quite decent, good range. They also get in naga once in a while so if you want it very hot do try it!

Denmark Street- Bombay Boulevard has about 20 different curries on the menu, worth a look. Been there since 2006 so that's a reasonable indicator. Good thing about it too, if you've been on the beers it's open for sit down meals until 2, 3 am on a Friday and Saturday.

I'm not as adventurous as I could be- mainly go for Pilau rice for example.

Archived