Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Davefevs

Gary O’Neil

Perhaps shows that a fit GON would’ve been a good signing 3 seasons ago.  We shouldn’t dismiss an experienced free-agent, just because it didn’t work for us on this occasion.

• Like 3

He looks delighted by it as well... 

Probably thinking that he'd rather they spent the money buying the trophy on his wages

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Very good footballer, showed his worth here before he got injured. 

Weird that when he got fit again he wasn’t picked, especially as our manager stated when signing him,, 

“Gary is a really good signing for us, who adds everything we need to our midfield,” said Johnson, on his club’s official site. “He’s very experienced, having won promotion from the Championship on four occasions. He may have just turned 33, but he’s still fully mobile and very fit.

“He’s a really good decision maker who can be a coach’s eyes and ears on the pitch, whilst also adding value to our younger players by helping us to manage games tactically – both in and out of possession.

“It’s important for us to get the balance right between youth and experience, and he’s a fantastic character to have around the club. I’m thoroughly looking forward to working with him.”

• Like 1

He`ll be at Millwall next season doing a bit of coaching I reckon. They`re his boyhood club, he lives over there and Neil Harris could probably do with a bit of help. When he was on Danny Baker a year or two back he said he would love to end his career there.

• Like 2

Instrumental in keeping us up when first arriving, only midfield spine we had, poorly treated here and truly awful injury.

From the very brief conversation we had  when last seeing him on a train back to London I think the chances of him ever wanting to work with WeeLee again are somewhere between none and Hell freezing over.

• Like 2

When he signed for City it was for all the right reasons - he had a very impressive CV with various promotions with different clubs and vastly experienced at Championship level. He was just City needed at the time, an experienced player mixed with relatively inexperienced team mates. A good professional and influential both on and off the pitch.

A real shame that he got injured so early in his City career. We never saw the best of GoNs skills.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

When he signed for City it was for all the right reasons - he had a very impressive CV with various promotions with different clubs and vastly experienced at Championship level. He was just City needed at the time, an experienced player mixed with relatively inexperienced team mates. A good professional and influential both on and off the pitch.

A real shame that he got injured so early in his City career. We never saw the best of GoNs skills.

This former player interests you?

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Super said:

Not in the slightest but I don’t like seeing former players slagged off on here when we never saw them at their best due to injury.

1 minute ago, bristolcitysweden said:

He was piss poor and cost us a fortune

Pubs are open, happy hour started. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Pubs are open, happy hour started. :) 

Have been open for a while ;) A poor signing missing all we had hoped for.

Happy hours not my cup of tea.

Edited by bristolcitysweden

12 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

He was the total opposite to what I expected.

Did you actually see GoN play?

42 minutes ago, Super said:

To be fair to @Robbored his post was reasonable!

Can’t he only get slagged when posts something irrelevant? Otherwise every single thread on here will get derailed!

43 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

He was piss poor and cost us a fortune

He really wasn’t that bad when fit, it’s just a shame he wasn’t for most of his second season...

We’ve had far far worse...

Thought he was decent in the games he played.  Drove us on, won tackles, wanted to pass forwards.  For 45 minutes at Villa away the season before last he was the best player on the park. 

His injury was poorly diagnosed.  He posted a photo of the back of his knee on twitter recently.  Huge lump on the back.

It didn’t work out hear.  We didn’t see anywhere near enough the player we signed.  Injury free, he was the Wade replacement we never had.

£15k per week for 2 seasons is £1.5m....worth considering some other players we’ve spent that on, and that’s without their wages!

Weirdly there were a number of games where O'Neil played in the number 10 position behind the striker. Also played wide right quite a bit too. Would have thought at 35 the only position he'd be is a deep lying midfielder. 

I never really liked him for us. He looked really good at the very start, but obviously had his injury problems. But there were other reasons I wasn't keen on him. I don't think he was ever settled with us due to his travelling from London every day for training.