IGNORED

Hull City v Bristol City Match Day 46

Septic Peg

13 minutes ago, mozo said:

I really don't get hiw anyone was fanciful enough to expect the results tp be different today.

A point away at Hull is actually very respectable. The real opportunities were a few games at the Gate.

8th is a really good achievement, only slight progress but progress all the same. 

Shame we weren't just that little bit better.

Agree with that with the exception that I expected more from WBA.

Just need a bit more quality up front, a goalkeeper (although I'd be happy with Maenpaa and Frankie as backup) and the Chelsea lads to sign up.

5 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Agreed, but while we have an owner who won't pay the wages to get a striker who can score goals and a creative midfield player, then it won't happen.

Perhaps he needs to get wise. Sell the ground to the club for £1 then buy it back on the same day for £80m. That sort of thing gets you into the playoffs - just.

We know the EFL thinks that kind of thing is fine. Though I'd better check the small print, it might say it only applies if your manager is a famous ex-player and a media darling.

Oh well, Steve had better carry on playing by the rules.

5 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Any giveaways from the 3 loanees at FT? Any waves or anything? Tomlin you could tell wanted to sign with kissing the badge and such, was a massive giveaway.

A huge chorus of, "sign him on," for Kalas who came over to applaud the fans and give a lucky supporter his shirt.  Ditto for Kasey on the shirt and the "lag my pipes," tune rang out. 

Marlon Pack took his shirt and boots off causing some of the ladies to expect the full monty.

Dean Windass appears to have become Dean Fatass 

3 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Any giveaways from the 3 loanees at FT? Any waves or anything? Tomlin you could tell wanted to sign with kissing the badge and such, was a massive giveaway.

Kalas was the first to come over. The others seemed to let him come forward and take the applause before they came over as a group, everyone came over. For what seemed quite a while it seemed Kalas was getting all the applause.Fans signing sign him up sign him up. No real indication from Kalas as hes pretty cool and hard to read. He applauded and was the first of only 4 players to give his shirt away.

The fans also sang the Jay Dasilva song but he didnt come to the front like Kalas did. Didnt really see a reaction from him except applause.

Kasey Palmer climbed onto the crowd and gave his shirt away as we sung his song. He applauded and was the last to walk away from the fans.

I had the feeling it was the last we would see of all of of them. 

1 minute ago, RedM said:

Kalas was the first to come over. The others seemed to let him come forward and take the applause before they came over as a group, everyone came over. For what seemed quite a while it seemed Kalas was getting all the applause.Fans signing sign him up sign him up. No real indication from Kalas as hes pretty cool and hard to read. He applauded and was the first of only 4 players to give his shirt away.

The fans also sang the Jay Dasilva song but he didnt come to the front like Kalas did. Didnt really see a reaction from him except applause.

Kasey Palmer climbed onto the crowd and gave his shirt away as we sung his song. He applauded and was the last to walk away from the fans.

I think you are right, unfortunately!

33 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yep. Now all you have to do is find me. I'll get yours in now...  :drunk2:

Cheers mate, if I dont find you have a good summer and we'll start again ( and again and again !!) next season.Up the City

28 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Another season wasted , for a non parachute payment club our resources matched the top 3 . 2 of those finished below us last year one a place above . We are a couple points better off than last season , let in 2 less scored less too . 60 players signed and still no semblance of strategy in playing style and transfer approach. We lost 3 players but signed others on superior wages . Reid was not replaced as the Weimann signing did not work out as planned . That was the damage .  The vast majority of clubs get promoted within 2 seasons of a new coach arriving . 

LJ has to start delivering he has now finished his apprenticeship.

the hard luck stories or excuses or even the acceptance of failure will not get the club to Prem . Sheffield Inited above all debunk all of that .

The club , LJ need to be more focused , have clarity of mission and not deviate from it or the realisation that LJ is not the person to take the club forward will become more evident . 

Enjoy the summer 

Totally agree with that and LJ signings, subs and tactics d not fill me with confidence - I think he will be gone by Christmas.

51 minutes ago, RedM said:

Sadly, I had just the same feeling. 

56 minutes ago, RedM said:

Thanks for the honest assessment. Gutted if true. Kalas and Dasilva have both been brilliant for us. Palmer also very good when brought on to change games but needs work.

Would love us to keep Kalas and Dasilva on. Palmer a bit more of a gamble but he's got quality for sure.

1 hour ago, Eastendboy1965 said:

I absolutely agree with you. This is the reason we just miss out each season. The owner should admit he wants us to stay outside of the premier league and he does not want the hassle, preferring to stay challenging in the football league Fair enough - but just tell it as it is and stop playing with real fans emotions. 

The internet is your friend- why not use it- read up on Football finances, our accounts, financial regulations etc.

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Da hell was that lino smoking. Disallowing Eliassons goal because it accidentally hit his hand then trying to disallow the OG for their defender handballing it in.

Think FIFA laws of game now indicate that accidental handball in pursuit of a goal is still handball so disallowed is the right call.

Only lack of clarity is whether it is effective currently or as of next season.

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think FIFA laws of game now indicate that accidental handball in pursuit of a goal is still handball so disallowed is the right call.

Only lack of clarity is whether it is effective currently or as of next season.

True, but then its totally inconsistent to not attempt to penalise the defender for a clear handball, deliberate or not.

9 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

True, but then its totally inconsistent to not attempt to penalise the defender for a clear handball, deliberate or not.

Think that's also coming into play too- as in all handball treated as deliberate- but will have to look at it again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/47429316

Indeed. That seems to be the gist.

Regardless- given some of the shockers we've had this season, I'd have taken it well and truly!

25 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Thanks for the honest assessment. Gutted if true. Kalas and Dasilva have both been brilliant for us. Palmer also very good when brought on to change games but needs work.

Would love us to keep Kalas and Dasilva on. Palmer a bit more of a gamble but he's got quality for sure.

I hope I'm wrong. Yes Kalas has played just about every game he has been available for i think and of course arrived with experience. Dasilva took longer to become a more regular player, but I think both fit. I know we have other players who can play in their positions but i dont want to lose them and have to settle in players again. Would be nice to think we can start the season on more of a front foot.

Palmer is tricky. He has something but not as polished as people want to hope i dont think. Not sure if we would want to invest in him in the price Chelsea would probably want. We havent used him half as much as i expected us too. Chelsea loans usually have demands for playing minutes i believe.

As i said it was hard to read the players. It was quite a 'staged' applause, not much emotion shown by any, not only the loans. They didnt show they were gutted or estatic, (obviously) as the results went the way everyone probably expected if we were honest. 

2 hours ago, cityexile said:

Another season of improvement, pretty decent one overall. Given the players we lost close of season, not a bad effort overall.

The players we "lost," or sold, more accurately, allowed us to by and/or loan in other players, including some better ones and proven quality at this level. This has been the stated aim of the club for 5 or more years now: bring in younger players paying low, improve them, sell them high, bring in better players. Repeat. And simultaneously move the team up the pyramid.

We are not "losing" players - we are implementing a philosophy set out when we were relegated in 2013. And it is working well (if not fast enough for some).

The "considering we lost our best players" is pre-2014, ingrained little Bristol City thinking; like when we lost/sold Andy Cole and nothing good resulted.

It's 2019, things are different, and we have some quite competent people running the club now (it would seem).

17 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

The players we "lost," or sold, more accurately, allowed us to by and/or loan in other players, including some better ones and proven quality at this level. This has been the stated aim of the club for 5 or more years now: bring in younger players paying low, improve them, sell them high, bring in better players. Repeat. And simultaneously move the team up the pyramid.

We are not "losing" players - we are implementing a philosophy set out when we were relegated in 2013. And it is working well (if not fast enough for some).

The "considering we lost our best players" is pre-2014, ingrained little Bristol City thinking; like when we lost/sold Andy Cole and nothing good resulted.

It's 2019, things are different, and we have some quite competent people running the club now (it would seem).

This bit won’t happen.

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

No.

They are shocking decisions according to the referee's assessors, given we've had apologies about them.

Yes

For the Villa penalty, which we all agree was not a penalty.

I haven’t see any other shocking decisions personally.

1 minute ago, Portland Bill said:

Yes

For the Villa penalty, which we all agree was not a penalty.

I haven’t see any other shocking decisions personally.

The one where we got a penalty at home to QPR was though. 

Reason we aren’t in playoffs isn’t refs - it’s a lack of quality. And that isn’t to say our quality is poor - we aren’t far away. 

20 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

No? What has happened to our place in the 92 over the last five or six seasons (post relegation from the Championship)? Am I seeing things?

You must be if you think that Aaron Wilbraham was a youngster!

Sorry your team missed out on the final day this afternoon.   Derby and Middlesbrough had to drop points and City had to win on Humberside.    It didn't come to pass but don't be too hard on yourselves.   Gave the supporters a lot to get involved with at Ashton Gate this season and while it wasn't meant to be you can take heart from what the team has accomplished.     The play -offs are a horrible experience when you lose (I've been involved with them enough times) but at least there's an opportunity there and it extends the season for another week or two.

Wished Derby hadn't taken sixth place, they usually blow up at critical times or the most important stages of a season and nothing disingenuous if a team was involved in the play off battles this year I'd probably pick Bristol City to win it.   Been outside the top division for near 40 years, at least choose someone who deserves an opportunity rather than others who have been involved there much more recent.

Today will be disappointing, regrets and chances missed over a season will come to mind but always remember there's teams out there in far worse situations than yourselves.   Took it to the final day, and while results didn't go your way you should be proud of the team for making something last a while.       We're off to the twilight world of League One football for now, could be some time before we play you again but haven't been (nowhere near) good enough, plain and simple.      

Archived