IGNORED

As the final whistle blows on our season, what are your highs and lows

Jerseybean

As the final whistle is blown and our season ends, here are my immediate thoughts.

Overall, it’s been a really positive season. We finished in eighth place with 70 points, with the possibility of a play-off place only being extinguished on the final day of the season.

There have, of course, been highs and lows along the way....

Highs include:

Tremendous support throughout the season

Beating Sheffield United home and away

Adam Webster

Our away form

Max’s emergence and particularly his performance at Villa

The excellent unbeaten run

Callum’s goal at Norwich 

Our discipline

Finishing eighth 

Some of the banter on here

Andi’s hat-trick at Sheffield United

Ashton Gate Stadium 

Lows include:

Our home form

Korey’s season being lost to injury

Just missing out on the play-offs

Failing to beat Stoke at home, despite battering them in the second half

Fammy being unavailable at the start of the season

Not beating Derby at Ashton Gate

Frank and Nicki both being injured 

Conceding so late against Wigan

Some of the banter on here

Not scoring more goals

Reflecting on all of this - injuries are part of the game, so can’t really be down too much about them. Therefore, in the cold light of day, my biggest single regret is our poor home results (winning just 8 out of 23) if our home form had matched our away form (we won 11 away games) we would have been comfortably in the play-offs.

So now it’s the barren closed-season with the inevitable transfer speculation and the anticipation of next season. A few things are already guaranteed next season; the miles travelled will reduce as trips to places including Norwich, Sheffield, Bolton, Ipswich and Rotherham will be replaced with Fulham, Cardiff and Luton and of course being its the Championship and Bristol City there will be a fresh set of highs, lows - and hopefully no regrets - to look forward to!

See you later and have fun.

Highs - The 9 match winning run; Kalas & Webster the best CB pairing we have had since Merrick & Collier.

Lows - the wasted opportunities not beating sides in the lower third at home because of over cautious line-ups; the failure to accommodate Palmer & Eliasson as regular starters.

Good post. Couple of other highs:

Swansea away scoring in the first minute then producing one of the best away performances of recent times.

Eliasson's last minute winner at Brentford.

The winning run.

Lows: 

The crushing hope that all the highs bring.

Overall I think we've done really well.  Battling some shocking refereeing and injuries.  Can't help feeling a little "irked" by LJ's 15 man defence at home against the likes of Reading and Wigan.  I've certainly been a lot more "down" on the last day!  Looking forward to a summer of quality recruitment!  Up the City!!!!

The biggest high after a game I felt was the last minute Fam penalty against QPR at home, really felt like we were going to achieve something after that. Also the two massive away wins after the international break when we’d all but written our team off 

Many highs, our improved defence and Webo being the best. And Sheffield United away. 8th place is brilliant. A big summer, then it’s so on for next year. Get Kalas and a striker and let’s win the league!!

Great job all, players and fans. See you next year and COYR.

Been a good season overall - replace Pack and add firepower with Fammy. Plus a few little adjustments like Hunt etc and we will be in with a chance next season.

This is an extremely tough league with so many ex prem clubs - we are doing well and have to keep looking to edge our way up.

3 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Been a good season overall - replace Pack and add firepower with Fammy. Plus a few little adjustments like Hunt etc and we will be in with a chance next season.

This is an extremely tough league with so many ex prem clubs - we are doing well and have to keep looking to edge our way up.

Agree with that over this is a tough league. Yes of course, would love us to go up. There have also been very many times as a City fan over the years where I would have bitten your hand off to be an established competitive Championship side.

It’s I think amougst the best leagues in the world in that there are a lot of decent teams, and yet a team can finish in the play offs one year and be battling down the bottom next, and vice versa. For the ‘just get your cheque book open’ merchants there are teams behind us that have spent a fair bit more, and teams like Sheff Utd showing it’s not simply always down to who spends the most.

Is a great league. I think the most exciting part of going up by a long chalk would be the journey rather the destination, and most times we leave this league it is down not up! These are relatively ‘good times’ so just enjoying them.

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

Agree with that over this is a tough league. Yes of course, would love us to go up. There have also been very many times as a City fan over the years where I would have bitten your hand off to be an established competitive Championship side.

It’s I think amougst the best leagues in the world in that there are a lot of decent teams, and yet a team can finish in the play offs one year and be battling down the bottom next, and vice versa. For the ‘just get your cheque book open’ merchants there are teams behind us that have spent a fair bit more, and teams like Sheff Utd showing it’s not simply always down to who spends the most.

Is a great league. I think the most exciting part of going up by a long chalk would be the journey rather the destination, and most times we leave this league it is down not up! These are relatively ‘good times’ so just enjoying them.

Exactly - the amount of moaning from some fans on here is pathetic. We all want to see us go up but it’s not as simple as that. 

Progress and strategy has been good overall by the club since LJ came in.

Where I still worry is streaky LJ. If we could just stop those losing streaks a bit quicker we might just do it. 

Gonna stick to the players that are ours (or at least still under contract as I write this)

Mäenpää - high - when fit, low - his niggly injuries....hoping it’s not age, but just having to play a full season without a proper pre-season.

O’Leary - high - showed he is a capable deputy.  Will get better as he fills out and gains confidence in commanding his area.

Webster - high - not much to say that others have t throughout the season

Kelly - high - 30 games, bar a few in the middle, he has really come on.  Not finished article yet, and if anything I think he’s showing that he will definitely be a (L)CB.

Eisa - low - looks a waste of £1.5m at this point

Everyone else somewhere between a bit above average and a bit below average.

I hope Semenyo has a cracking preseason, gets used to the pace of the Champ from GW2 and gives us a genuine best of an option up top.  If he can get up to speed, I see a better option in him than Diedhiou.

I think my thoughts above really highlight we’ve been good at the back, but not so good in attack.

If you could improve the team with 3 better players, I think that would be the difference in 8-10th to 3-6th.  We aren’t far away.

Highs:

Webster has been a fantastic player for us this season. 

Kalas - great attitude. Very good player.

Lloyd Kelly - his form dipped after a great start but he seems to be a player with huge potential. 

Eliasson has really improved this season and produced lots of exciting moments.

Dasilva - very skilful. I hope he signs for us. 

Great away wins (especially Sheffield Utd, Swansea, Stoke and Middlesbrough). 

Injury time winner vs QPR. 

Home game vs WBA. 

Having something positive to play for in the final game.

Lows:

There have been some pretty lame performances at AG, but the one that stands out in my memory is the defeat vs Preston. Awful. 

Home defeat vs Derby. Very galling because they were so average. 

Overall, I’ve enjoyed this season, despite some of the crap home performances. We are heading in the right direction and now see ourselves as challengers rather than strugglers in this division. It really feels like there is more to come from us. 

I think we've had a good season. I said before we'd finish eighth or ninth which represents progress.

Considering the important players lost last season arguably the one thing we didn't replace on paper was the goals. But, surprisingly, we only scored 8 less than last season so if we were able to add a more prolific striker for next season then we should see a significant improvement up the table. This also suggests that elsewhere we are making strides.

For me the goalkeeper remains an issue and whilst Oleary has excelled the continual injuries to Frankie & Maenpaa seems that we'll be looking to strengthen there.

RB: Jack Hunt is a good right back/wing back. I can see Pisano leaving. 

LB: If we can agree terms with Dasilva then along with Lloyd we have one of the best in the division.

CB: Webster and Kalas is a top pairing (If Kalas signs) BW is a good back up. I can see Baker leaving.

MF: is a tricky one Pack & Brownhill have been flogged. We've missed Korey badly. I expect Walsh & Morrell to feature more next season plus we need to buy some quality to step up to the next level.

Attacking MF: Pato needs to affect games more. I'd like to buy Palmer as he opens up defences. 

Wide Players: NE has done well. He delivers a quality ball.I can see COD leaving for leeds as they miss out on the Swansea winger along with Marley Watkins back to Barnsley.

Forwards: As much as I admire Fam & AW, 13 & 10 goals is just not enough sadly.

I can see Semenyo having more of an impact next season to the detriment of Eisa.I can see a marquee striker coming in with Matty Taylor leaving.

We are stronger on and off the pitch and I for one are looking forward to next season.

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Gonna stick to the players that are ours (or at least still under contract as I write this)

Mäenpää - high - when fit, low - his niggly injuries....hoping it’s not age, but just having to play a full season without a proper pre-season.

O’Leary - high - showed he is a capable deputy.  Will get better as he fills out and gains confidence in commanding his area.

Webster - high - not much to say that others have t throughout the season

Kelly - high - 30 games, bar a few in the middle, he has really come on.  Not finished article yet, and if anything I think he’s showing that he will definitely be a (L)CB.

Eisa - low - looks a waste of £1.5m at this point

Everyone else somewhere between a bit above average and a bit below average.

I hope Semenyo has a cracking preseason, gets used to the pace of the Champ from GW2 and gives us a genuine best of an option up top.  If he can get up to speed, I see a better option in him than Diedhiou.

I think my thoughts above really highlight we’ve been good at the back, but not so good in attack.

If you could improve the team with 3 better players, I think that would be the difference in 8-10th to 3-6th.  We aren’t far away.

Ooh, look at him with his fancy dots on his vowels   :laugh:

Twø cæn plæy åt thåt game

20 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Ooh, look at him with his fancy dots on his vowels   :laugh:

Twø cæn plæy åt thåt game

It autofills on my iPad, same as Magnússon.  But Callum always autofills as O’DOWDA.  Infuriates me!

Archived