IGNORED

JoeAman08

I know we didn’t win today but the point makes our season look so much better. 70 points. Who would have thought that going into the season. 

Hopefully it has a knock on affect and we can recruit a higher quality now this summer and add to this core. There may be a couple holes to fill like replacing Kalas and possibly LB but we still have a fantastic core with many ready to get a chance and step into this squad. I hope this is the summer we go for it a bit more. 

Hope everyone has a good summer. See you in the transfer forum

53 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I know we didn’t win today but the point makes our season look so much better. 70 points. Who would have thought that going into the season. 

Hopefully it has a knock on affect and we can recruit a higher quality now this summer and add to this core. There may be a couple holes to fill like replacing Kalas and possibly LB but we still have a fantastic core with many ready to get a chance and step into this squad. I hope this is the summer we go for it a bit more. 

Hope everyone has a good summer. See you in the transfer forum

Not good enough. We have already had one poster predict that LJ will be sacked by Christmas so brace yourself for the usual minority confidently predicting relegation next season.

11 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Not good enough. We have already had one poster predict that LJ will be sacked by Christmas so brace yourself for the usual minority confidently predicting relegation next season.

We'll be bottom of League 2 by Christmas.

TBH 70 points is only one win more than we achieved last year. And last year, we weren't helped by certain players knowing they were moving on and ceasing to try in the last few games.

If we only improve by 3 points over the course of 19/20, we may still not make the play-offs.

That said, I think we're in a better place squad-wise and have decent morale and a group who are bonded and committed. 

Lee is making the right noises at this stage about the need to bring quality in to build on what we have.

We can look forward to next season with some confidence in my opinion.

51 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

TBH 70 points is only one win more than we achieved last year. And last year, we weren't helped by certain players knowing they were moving on and ceasing to try in the last few games.

If we only improve by 3 points over the course of 19/20, we may still not make the play-offs.

That said, I think we're in a better place squad-wise and have decent morale and a group who are bonded and committed. 

Lee is making the right noises at this stage about the need to bring quality in to build on what we have.

The truth is always somewhere in the middle, you cannot argue that it is ‘progress’ but you have to ask challenging questions as to why we have essentially slipped from stronger positions during the season.

Again these questions are not necessarily for Lee Johnson to answer but also Steve Lansdown.

Ive posted before that if one of sales execs finished on 100% of target for the year then obviously I would be happy. However if they were at 200% ytd at the 6 month point I think I would still have to ask what on earth went on during the last 6 months.

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Aye, last year we were "tired" as well, after Christmas, let's not forget, and were only one win short of this season's team. The second half of last season was all over the place,  shambles at times, with the Diony fiasco, him and Kent nowhere near the squad by the end. And as you say, by the last couple of games, there was a lack of professionalism, and we "trialled" Kelly in the last game, and Semenyo. This year, a different story with efforthe and togetherness until the end.

The defence this year was said to be vastly improved but conceded only 5 fewer than Flint and co (tbf, losing two senior keepers and playing Max must've had an impact on this). Our GD was better last season.

I reckon last season's team at their peak would beat this year's at their best. They were certainly better to watch. But then, last season's at their worst would fail against the worst of this season. 

Overall, we must be content with three more points and finishing 8th.

Look at last season's table & who finished 1 place below us. Some thinking it could have been so much better this season, but it clearly could have been so much worse.

What happened to Norwich by the way? ;)

League table[edit]

Pos Team
[   ]
Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Promotion, qualification or relegation
1 Wolverhampton Wanderers (C, P) 46 30 9 7 82 39 +43 99 Promotion to the Premier League
2 Cardiff City (P) 46 27 9 10 69 39 +30 90
3 Fulham (O, P) 46 25 13 8 79 46 +33 88 Qualification for Championship play-offs[a]
4 Aston Villa 46 24 11 11 72 42 +30 83
5 Middlesbrough 46 22 10 14 67 45 +22 76
6 Derby County 46 20 15 11 69 48 +21 75
7 Preston North End 46 19 16 11 58 45 +13 73  
8 Millwall 46 19 15 12 56 45 +11 72
9 Brentford 46 18 15 13 62 52 +10 69
10 Sheffield United 46 20 9 17 62 55 +7 69
11 Bristol City 46 17 16 13 67 58 +9 67
12 Ipswich Town 46 17 9 20 57 60 −3 60
13 Leeds United 46 17 9 20 59 64 −5 60
14 Norwich City 46 15 15 16 49 60 −11 60
15 Sheffield Wednesday 46 14 15 17 59 60 −1 57
16 Queens Park Rangers 46 15 11 20 58 70 −12 56
17 Nottingham Forest 46 15 8 23 51 65 −14 53
18 Hull City 46 11 16 19 70 70 0 49
19 Birmingham City 46 13 7 26 38 68 −30 46
20 Reading 46 10 14 22 48 70 −22 44
21 Bolton Wanderers 46 10 13 23 39 74 −35 43
22 Barnsley (R) 46 9 14 23 48 71 −23 41 Relegation to EFL League One
23 Burton Albion (R) 46 10 11 25 38 81 −43 41
24 Sunderland (R) 46 7 16 23 52 80 −28 37

3 hours ago, Lucan said:

But every team can probably come up with an injured player here, a disallowed goal there, maybe a change of manager a bit earlier...

part of the challenge in a long football season is coping with bumps in the road.

We have had a fairly high range of medium to long term injuries this last 2 seasons- bad luck.

Hit the woodwork 21-22 times this season- bad luck again, no?

11 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

@finbarr_in_z I’d take more promise at the other three clubs who finished near us:

Norwich, Sheff Utd and Leeds

Not the demise of Ipswich. They were never going to invest and Mick did a great job with a lack of resource.

Sheff Utd were there or thereabouts pretty much all season but, like us, they blew up at the end. They then made sure that wasn`t going to happen again this season. Norwich were very much in a transition season and did the right thing with sticking with Farke. I always thought they`d be different gravy this year. Leeds, who knows? This just seems to me to be the one season in six that they actually get everything to click - that and appointing Bielsa of course.

Archived