IGNORED

Oh well......

Robbored

Not quite good enough this time around. 

Still in the top six race until the last game and eventually ending with an 8th place and an improvement in Championship finish and points tally from last season plus most away wins in over a century so not a bad season over all.

LJ will know that the home results really cost us. The four dropped points against Ipswich and Wigan would have put us safely in the top six but hey ho...........no point crying over spilled milk.

The loss against FLDC really did cost us.............:facepalm:

What a great season for BCFC. Had we beaten Derby at home we'd be in the playoffs. That's how close we were although I know 1 game shouldn't be highlighted.  Well done to Lee and the whole team. How we build from here is the important thing. Onwards and hopefully upwards. COYR. 

31 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Still in the top six race until the last game and eventually ending with an 8th place and an improvement in Championship finish and points tally from last season plus most away wins in over a century so not a bad season over all.

LJ will know that the home results really cost us. The four dropped points against Ipswich and Wigan would have put us safely in the top six but hey ho...........no point crying over spilled milk.

I'm sorry RR, but cause and effect means that's not quite true.

Have you heard of reality?

17 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

I'm sorry RR, but cause and effect means that's not quite true.

Have you heard of reality?

Not sure what you’re getting at CA - Surely the cause of us not reaching the top six was largely down the dropped home points? The away record was terrific the best in over a century......

40 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think our plight today highlights why people said that Wigan and Ipswich were 'must win' games. We ended up with too much to do

I think that the mentality needs to be that every game is a must win

Now, when LJ talked to Stve, I knew He'd understand
He said, "Stick by my side and I'll be your guiding hand
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to"
Ooh, well

58 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’m not interested in this thread. 

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The best in over a century?  - in 2014/2015 we took 46 points away from home with 13 wins and 7 draws - this season we’ve achieved 37 points away from home with 11 wins and 4 draws ...

Right.......I got the wrong information then but then it was from the Post............:dunno:

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Right.......I got the wrong information then but then it was from the Post............:dunno:

Cheers for the reply - all I can think is that the Post meant it was our best away form in the second tier for over a century? Not even sure if that is correct though ....

The OP is spot on, 'not quite good enough' 

Been a great season and improvement,  but too often i have heard from the management  team 'not enough quality in the final third'

That cost us a 'play off' place and possibly even auto.  The debate will rage all close season about FD and today was typical Fam,  missed two glorious chances and one called 'miss of the season' on Sky ! On some matches he has been good, but they are few and far between.

LJ has said they, we, are going to be bold this close season.  Its going to be a good watch with the rumour mill getting into full swing as soon as ? and the silly season will start. 

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The best in over a century?  - in 2014/2015 we took 46 points away from home with 13 wins and 7 draws - this season we’ve achieved 37 points away from home with 11 wins and 4 draws ...

Oops - I meant we’ve got 38 points away from home this season - still not ‘best in over a century’ though ...

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He should have said in the second tier. oops! just noticed somebody else has pointed that out, must remember to read the whole thread before posting.

15 hours ago, swanker said:

You’ve got to win your home games!  We’ve been poor at Ashton Gate for sure which is a shame because we’ve had some good support. 

Debatable! Booing at half time of the first game we were losing after a long unbeaten run? Our side punching above its weight in the play offs should never be boo’d. There were a few good games but on the whole I’d say home support has been poor this season and several matchday commentators have picked up on it

17 hours ago, Robbored said:

Thing is it’s not the results that cost us. It’s the ability of some of those who pull on the shirt and who simply aren’t good enough.

Although I can see how one leads to another.

Many - including Lansdown - will spout progress and potential but until we act to replace - not develop - those who aren’t good enough I fear we’ll only ever be the bridesmaid......

Our ambition/potential can be measured by that. Will we replace the Senegalese who again missed a glorious opportunity to score? Will we convince one of the halves of the best CB pairing I’ve seen in BS3 for a longtime/my lifetime to sign permanently. Will we keep Little Lee and stop him going to Fulham/WBA? 

Tough decisions - and there are others- but if we don’t then I don’t see us walking up the aisle for a very long time........... ?

Personally, I thought the whole squad did really well considering. Hardest part will be following that up, as expectations are raised, and it’s a very tough league. Looking at our efforts, and the top two, it’s not about how much you spend, but how well you spend.

28 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Thing is it’s not the results that cost us. It’s the ability of some of those who pull on the shirt and who simply aren’t good enough.

Although I can see how one leads to another.

Many - including Lansdown - will spout progress and potential but until we act to replace - not develop - those who aren’t good enough I fear we’ll only ever be the bridesmaid......

Our ambition/potential can be measured by that. Will we replace the Senegalese who again missed a glorious opportunity to score? Will we convince one of the halves of the best CB pairing I’ve seen in BS3 for a longtime/my lifetime to sign permanently. Will we keep Little Lee and stop him going to Fulham/WBA? 

Tough decisions - and there are others- but if we don’t then I don’t see us walking up the aisle for a very long time........... ?

Cor blimey!

There has been progress despite not having a 20 goal striker and that isn’t lost on anyone even remotely interested in City and definitely not lost on LJ. However, he was reluctant/unable to recruit a striker in the winter window because of the inflated fees selling clubs demand. We all know that the time for ‘trading’ is in the summer window and LJ now has leverage to strengthen. He’s already said that he’s looking to sign 7 players - one if not two should be strikers.......

Im going over old ground here but the lack of creativity in midfield has been obvious to anyone who watches City. Pack is a DM and that leaves Brownhill as the only other regular midfielder. Walsh, Palmer and Morrell have all played there but none have really impressed. Palmer is probably the best  of those but it’s unlikely he’ll be at AG next season so a creative midfielder must be on the summer list.

Whats been solid this season is the defence. Webdini and Kalas particularly so but Kalas is unlikely to be at AG next season so possibly Kelly could end up playing there. Dasliva has also been excellent and City have the option to sign him if he wants to stay at AG.

RB has been meh....Hunt has been frequently  injured, Pisano looks as if he’s off to Oz and Wright isn’t a natural full back. I’d hope another RB is also on the summer list.

To make progress at this level, means surely from one season to the next keeping your best players and recruiting or promoting better quality for those who have fallen short.

The problem is that at one season's end we lose, or tend to, our best loan players and spend a sizeable proportion of our expenditure in either gambles, like Eisa or Engvall, or in ones for the future, who may or may not be the future, think Smith at Tranmere, highly lauded on signing and disappearing below the horizon.

We need to reassess the balance within our current policy and improve our scouting.

LJ will not hang around forever - whilst perhaps the majority of otib think he could be the new Alan Dicks and achieve promotion, I and some others doubt this.  If he leaves the majority on here will be massively disappointed whilst others of us will fear the club's amateur approach to appointing new managers will land us up with a Coppell or a Pulis and not an Alan Dicks.  In which case 100% of us will feel let down.

17 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

The best in over a century at this level. Tell em RR.

8 hours ago, pillred said:

He should have said in the second tier. oops! just noticed somebody else has pointed that out, must remember to read the whole thread before posting.

17 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Cheers for the reply - all I can think is that the Post meant it was our best away form in the second tier for over a century? Not even sure if that is correct though ....

Cheers, as you can see, I’d already guessed that was what The Post probably meant, before your posts - thanks anyway for the clarification though.

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Debatable! Booing at half time of the first game we were losing after a long unbeaten run? Our side punching above its weight in the play offs should never be boo’d. There were a few good games but on the whole I’d say home support has been poor this season and several matchday commentators have picked up on it

Good crowds. The poor home form and scoring record didn’t help lift the atmosphere. 

Archived