IGNORED

Who do we want to win playoffs?

magunn

Let's face it, the only reason we have any ill feeling towards Derby is because of the media love in with FL and the questionable decisions that have gone their way in the run in. As a club and a fanbase, they really are quite vanilla and harmless. If they go up, fair play.

Ditto West Brom, they are by far the most likeable of the west.midlands clubs.

As for the two massive superclubs, they can both fall flat on their arses. 

10 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Is it a serious achievement?

They've been in the top 6 for 3 out of the last 6 seasons so they have history there. 

He’s had plenty of resources available, more than many clubs. And add to that they’ve been allowed to take on some of the premier leagues best youngsters.

Yes he’s done a decent job but a serious achievement is pushing it imo

If LJ had been in charge of that derby side they’d be in the play offs as well I don’t doubt

I think getting a team into the championship play offs is a serious achievement for any manager. It’s such a competitive division as loads have pointed out on here throughout this campaign and others. 

You’ll never know if LJ would have taken that Derby team into the play offs or not. Do you think the Rams are a lot better than us then? You say they have taken on some of the premier league’s best youngsters - well we’ve also taken on some  - Chelsea’s Tammy Abraham, Jay Dasilva, Tomas Kalas and Kasey Palmer spring to mind ...

You obviously think it ain’t such a big deal for a football manager to finish in the top six in arguably the fifth best division in the world - I think it’s a serious achievement - especially for a rookie like Frank Lampard - there is nothing wrong with recognising the achievements of others now the dust has settled on our season ... 

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think getting a team into the championship play offs is a serious achievement for any manager. It’s such a competitive division as loads have pointed out on here throughout this campaign and others. 

You’ll never know if LJ would have taken that Derby team into the play offs or not. Do you think the Rams are a lot better than us then? You say they have taken on some of the premier league’s best youngsters - well we’ve also taken on some  - Chelsea’s Tammy Abraham, Jay Dasilva, Tomas Kalas and Kasey Palmer spring to mind ...

You obviously think it ain’t such a big deal for a football manager to finish in the top six in arguably the fifth best division in the world - I think it’s a serious achievement - especially for a rookie like Frank Lampard - there is nothing wrong with recognising the achievements of others now the dust has settled on our season ... 

It is an achievement for any manager, but a serious achievement is pushing it. As I said they’ve finished in the play offs for three of the last 6 seasons, it’s hardly as though they have come from nowhere to be one of the top sides in the league. Had he taken the likes of Preston/Millwall/Brentford to the play offs then it would have been a serious achievement, but Derby are a big club who have history in the top 6. They’ve finished on less points than they did last season, so realistically has he done a superb job?

I think Derby’s squad is much better than ours on paper, they are full of internationals and international age group players. They’ve got plenty of premier league experience and they’ve spent a fair bit to get to where they are currently. At the start of the season I reckon most people would have expected us to finish below them. 

Yes we’ve brought in some loanees from the premier league. Tammy was relatively unknown when we got him, Dasilva was untested at championship level, Kalas is hardly a youngster and we did very well to get him and Palmer isn’t one of Chelsea’s main prospects, unlike mason mount for instance. Would Wilson/ Tomori/ Mount have gone to Derby if Lampard hadn’t been there? I’m not so sure, his history has certainly helped him with them. 

I never said it isn’t a big deal, but I’d argue that for some clubs (Derby, Villa, West Brom, Middlesbrough) play offs would have been seen as a minimum achievement this season, and so I wouldn’t class it as a serious achievement for Lampard to get there. 

If he takes them up, then yes it’s a serious achievement, but currently it isn’t 

6 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Let's face it, the only reason we have any ill feeling towards Derby is because of the media love in with FL and the questionable decisions that have gone their way in the run in. As a club and a fanbase, they really are quite vanilla and harmless. If they go up, fair play.

Ditto West Brom, they are by far the most likeable of the west.midlands clubs.

As for the two massive superclubs, they can both fall flat on their arses. 

For accuracy, I and others also have antipathy towards Derby as they appear to be financially cheating to the tune of about £40m...Google "Mel Morris Pride Park deal".

They're quite possibly under a transfer embargo so- hell I'd rather Leeds won playoffs than Aston Villa or Derby because of their financial cheating.

However until that point? Personally- found them alright.

On 05/05/2019 at 16:40, magunn said:

Given that our participation is now not happening, who would we like to win the playoffs.

In reality for me it’s anyone but Villa, but if I had to choose it would be Derby for no other reason than it could of been us.

WBA.

I think it’s correct that if WBA go up their parachute moneys owed get shared out. Appreciate it’s across the whole division; but a little windfall and a little more of a boost to ffp compliance/ headroom. 

1 minute ago, 29AR said:

I think it’s correct that if WBA go up their parachute moneys owed get shared out. Appreciate it’s across the whole division; but a little windfall and a little more of a boost to ffp compliance/ headroom. 

Nope!!!

Gets shared out amongst the Prem teams....it’s called looking after your own!

Shocking, eh?  

3 hours ago, Midred said:

Like city you mean?

Not quite sure what you mean. If you mean would I still want Leeds to win the playoffs if We had finished 6th then of course no. But if we aren’t in the playoffs then I generally think whoever has finished third should go up.......

....unless it’s Cardiff 

1 hour ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Not quite sure what you mean. If you mean would I still want Leeds to win the playoffs if We had finished 6th then of course no. But if we aren’t in the playoffs then I generally think whoever has finished third should go up.......

....unless it’s Cardiff 

We were third in 2008 weren't we after dropping out of the top two? 

I think we were unlucky to not get the play offs. But with Bolton's situation I feel things could be a lot worse for our club and i feel privileged to have an owner like Lansdown. For me WBA have to win the play offs to get them out of this league as they are by far the most ambitious

On 05/05/2019 at 17:58, BS3_RED said:

Villa cos of the Kodjia bonuses. Plus I think they will be the biggest threat if they stay down. 

Same here. For me it's about who I'd rather not be competing with next season.

And, whilst FFP could have an impact on them, I think they're still the strongest placed for next season. 

Leeds please. 

Not West Brom because it would justify their ridiculous sacking of Darren Moore. 

Not Aston Villa because then they'll never get held to account for their crazy level of expenditure.

Not Frank Lampard's Derby because they reacted like they'd won the Champions League after their win at Ashton Gate. 

So Leeds. Lesser of four evils. They might have an incredible level of entitlement, but at least they've spent within their means. 

Archived