IGNORED

Championship - Next Season.

Bristol Rob

Is it just me who thinks the division might be weaker next season?

With more clubs likely to curb spending due to FFP and the sides being relegated seemingly not that special, will it be the most open division in years, or will it come down to the relegated sides and the remaining big-name?

I've been thinking the same, particualrly due to the 3 clubs coming down; Fulham, Cardiff and Huddersfield along with the 2 confirmed teams coming up; Barnsley & Luton it's already shaping up to be a slightly weaker league in terms of the quality of opposition

4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Huddersfield, a Fulham in disarray and Cardiff. Dont see a problem there.

Sheff Wed fancy themselves, as will the 3 play off teams but another wide open division awaits as it stands

Do Wednesday have any money to spend, or are they at the limit though?

I think the likes of Forest could well kick on, they`ve had a quiet season. Financially they seem OK and seem to have opted for a bit of stability recently. Swansea & Stoke, who knows if they`ll make a better fist of it - Swansea in particular looked to be getting it together towards the end of the season. Brentford & PNE will be there or thereabouts again IMO.

FFP might sort a few out though.

25 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Is it just me who thinks the division might be weaker next season?

With more clubs likely to curb spending due to FFP and the sides being relegated seemingly not that special, will it be the most open division in years, or will it come down to the relegated sides and the remaining big-name?

Gary Owers mentioned it on RB too, especially if Leeds Utd go up.

The relegated sides look weaker but think they have some strengths that are perhaps overlooked as they are more associated with this level and below.

Cardiff- If Warnock stays they should be in a solid place. They have money to strengthen, a solid financial position for retention and perhaps fairly importantly Smithies, Cunningham, Murphy and Reid all strong at this level. Bacuna could do alright at Championship level too.

I remember saying early in the season that Burnley or similar maybe a model they follow... a lot depends on Vincent Tan though- will he stick with that or will he sack Warnock and appoint some randomer! They also likely have to replace Gunnarson, Camarasa and Arter- could leave a hole in their midfield!

Fulham- Annoyingly for the division after appointing Parker they seemed to get some stability. Last few weeks seemed to be looking more like the Fulham of last season too! Lot will depend on summer business, whether Scott Parker gets the job or they fancy someone more proven IMO. Think he could be a sound choice however.

Huddersfield- Funny one. They seem to building up the infrastructure and like Blackpool their promotion a huge bonus on the pitch a huge bonus on and off the pitch. Staying up only added to that- ON PAPER off the pitch a lot of boxes to tick but on it they need rid of their manager absolutely. They may as well have kept Wagner.

New owner maybe a wildcard- is he rich, is he mad- charalatan, sound character? Hoyle was very good...new owner total unknown quantity though he is apparently a Huddersfield fan!

Nome of those will dominate however. Should be an open League.

16 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Always seems to be a surprise team like Sheffield United this season. Hopefully its us next term ?

See where your coming from, if Luton hold on to their strike force and with a couple of astute signings can see them being at least a top half side.

As for Sheff Utd. That didn't come as a surprise to me, or to many I would suspect.

5 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

See where your coming from, if Luton hold on to their strike force and with a couple of astute signings can see them being at least a top half side.

As for Sheff Utd. That didn't come as a surprise to me, or to many I would suspect.

I think for automatic promotion Sheffield United was slightly surprising.  Luton as you say could be a threat but this league is brutal  ( I believe we are sniffing around one of the strikers , along with a host of others no doubt  )

Four big clubs in the play-offs (only one can win 'em) plus Swansea and Hull could be good next season, Forest, Wednesday as people have said. Easier? Probably not. The Championship will most likely be as tough as ever and we will need some bloody good signings to compete again.

50 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Very near the limit I believe

@Mr Popodopolous will no doubt clarify

It's a hard one to say. I will put an asterix by my answer for that reason.

*All logic suggests they're close to, at or over their limit. Financial results and lack of sales reinforce this in 2015/16 and 2016/17. @OwlsonlineAdmin seems to think they're okay though. Can't see how...

*Now this is where it gets interesting and murky.

Their financial year ran to May 31 2018. Their results were therefore due out at end of Feb 2019 or in practical terms probably a few days on.

*However on 27th Feb 2019 it was announced that their reporting period extended to 31 July 2019.

This may have reduced outgoings for 2 months wages for players released last summer, had Jack Hunt's move to us down in 2017/18 accounts instead of 2018/19 or have meant season ticket revenue in last season instead of this- perhaps elements of all 3?

Truth is, we just don't know still..their accounts for last season were originally due out Feb 28th 2019, then after the extension it was April 30th 2019. Now 2 months on and now they're nearly overdue. If they're not out soon they surely technically will be overdue!

They must surely have breached though or at best be kicking the can down the road.

*- Their can kicking creates doubt. Smoke and mirrors.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's a hard one to say. I will put an asterix by my answer for that reason.

*All logic suggests they're close to, at or over their limit. Financial results and lack of sales reinforce this in 2015/16 and 2016/17. @OwlsonlineAdmin seems to think they're okay though. Can't see how...

*Now this is where it gets interesting and murky.

Their financial year ran to May 31 2018. Their results were therefore due out at end of Feb 2019 or in practical terms probably a few days on.

*However on 27th Feb 2019 it was announced that their reporting period extended to 31 July 2019.

This may have reduced outgoings for 2 months wages for players released last summer, had Jack Hunt's move to us down in 2017/18 accounts instead of 2018/19 or have meant season ticket revenue in last season instead of this- perhaps elements of all 3?

Truth is, we just don't know still..their accounts for last season were originally due out Feb 28th 2019, then after the extension it was April 30th 2019. Now 2 months on and now they're nearly overdue. If they're not out soon they surely technically will be overdue!

They must surely have breached though or at best be kicking the can down the road.

*- Their can kicking creates doubt. Smoke and mirrors.

How do football clubs account for their season ticket sales?  Cash basis? 12ths? over the playing season?

I can see all kinds of fun & games by extending their accounting period into the close season!  

37 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

How do football clubs account for their season ticket sales?  Cash basis? 12ths? over the playing season?

I can see all kinds of fun & games by extending their accounting period into the close season!  

Unsure how it'd be accounted for.

It's only a guess of mine, but maybe the period of season ticket sales for 2018/19 between end of May-end of July may appear in the 2017/18 accounts.

This kicks the can down the road for the 3 year period to last season but surely that gain would in this scenario be offset by no revenue for Hunt, and more importantly for season tickets sold in these 2 months.

As you say all sorts of chicanery, jiggery pokery etc possible with moves like this!

One for @Coppello perhaps?

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Do Wednesday have any money to spend, or are they at the limit though?

I think they are in the FFP s**t also and may have to trade players 

I think Brentford will do well next season if they can keep their key players, I also for some bizarre reason fancy us to do well and push for a top 2 spot

Unsure how it'd be accounted for.

It's only a guess of mine, but maybe the period of season ticket sales for 2018/19 between end of May-end of July may appear in the 2017/18 accounts.

This kicks the can down the road for the 3 year period to last season but surely that gain would in this scenario be offset by no revenue for Hunt, and more importantly for season tickets sold in these 2 months.

As you say all sorts of chicanery, jiggery pokery etc possible with moves like this!

One for @Coppello perhaps?

@Drew Peacock There’s two real ways of doing it:

1) You recognise the income across the number of games in the season. As one game occurs, you recognise 1/46 of revenue. 

2) You spread evenly across 10 (?) months of the playing season and recognise it in even increments.

Overall, they’d end up in the same result as both June and May year ends fall outside of the playing season.  

8 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I think they are in the FFP s**t also and may have to trade players 

I think Brentford will do well next season if they can keep their key players, I also for some bizarre reason fancy us to do well and push for a top 2 spot

Steve Bruce as per their forum said he would like 5-6 players incoming.

If they've worked round the system they are an odious bunch of cheats.

Same as Aston Villa, Derby and anyone else trying it- there I've said it. Embargo and points please if this is the case.

8 minutes ago, Coppello said:

@Drew Peacock There’s two real ways of doing it:

1) You recognise the income across the number of games in the season. As one game occurs, you recognise 1/46 of revenue. 

2) You spread evenly across 10 (?) months of the playing season and recognise it in even increments.

Overall, they’d end up in the same result as both June and May year ends fall outside of the playing season.  

Couldn’t it just be as simple as account for it in the period received?  For those of us who pay in full, account for it in full, etc etc.

1 minute ago, Diddlydonkey said:

Swansea to be bottom 8, if not relegated. The guys they have in charge are not cool.

As long as they keep McBurnie, they'll be okay. Any side with a decent forward should be well away from the wrong end of the table. 

8 minutes ago, Diddlydonkey said:

Swansea to be bottom 8, if not relegated. The guys they have in charge are not cool.

I thought that about this season, yet Potter even managed a late push for the play offs.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Couldn’t it just be as simple as account for it in the period received?  For those of us who pay in full, account for it in full, etc etc.

That would make life a little easier. But one of the principles of accounting is the matching concept. Basically, you need to match revenues and expenses in the period in which they are earned/incurred. As the 19/20 football season hasn’t started, and have you haven’t actually let anyone through the turnstiles yet, you can’t recognise the income.

Similarly, any promotion bonuses for Norwich may not be paid out until August 2019. However, as they relate to this season, they’d need to be recognised in the 18/19 accounts. 

Can't see them going down- their owners seem terrible however. Lower midtable?

Their owners are essentially asset stripping. Daniel James won't be the only player they sell this summer imo.

Under the circumstances Graham Potter has done a fine job.

15 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Their owners are essentially asset stripping. Daniel James won't be the only player they sell this summer imo.

Under the circumstances Graham Potter has done a fine job.

McBurnie, if you could get him cut-price would be a very good signing.  He won’t be cut-price, but we can But dream.

Archived