IGNORED

A Fairytale ending for all of us at City

WhistleHappy

All in all an eighth place finish, after an exciting bit of a roller coaster of a season is a great achievement and one that most of us could only dream of a while back..

So enjoy your summer break everyone, I'm sure there will be plenty of debate on here before the new season begins, transfers in / out whatever, these transfer windows can provide some exciting times themselves... and I'm sure they will.

So now for the fairytale ending, goodnight everyone, sleep tight, and let's all.....

Live Happily Ever After …. C O Y R 's  ❤

Seems to be going to SL's plan. Improved each of the last few years, do so again next year...

I believe that the year that drops out for FFP is the worst of the current three (I'm sure someone can confirm or call me an ejit), giving a bit more scope to spend this summer. Given we just missed out this year, and weren't too bad last year we should be seen more favourably by players and agents, and compete for signings with others at the top of the championship (jug eared losers aside).

If the funds are spent as we would like rather than wasting money on players who don't even get to warm the bench, next year could be the year we really have a go at it.

Looking forward to this years summer transfer window, please Lee, don't disappoint me! :fingerscrossed:

Just now, JBFC II said:

At the start of the season did you really see us in 8th battling for a place in the play offs on the final day? 

Personally, I said 6th-16th (ok, it’s a wide set of positions)....we’d get off to a slow start, and would be a bit of a slow burner if the players gelled.  They did, we just fell short.

We added quality that we’ve not had before....Webster initially, then Kalas.  They have made a huge difference.  With those two at CB, I question the need to play such a midfielder as Pack in the role he did (the DM), especially at home.  That’s where we can improve next season.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Personally, I said 6th-16th (ok, it’s a wide set of positions)....we’d get off to a slow start, and would be a bit of a slow burner if the players gelled.  They did, we just fell short.

We added quality that we’ve not had before....Webster initially, then Kalas.  They have made a huge difference.  With those two at CB, I question the need to play such a midfielder as Pack in the role he did (the DM), especially at home.  That’s where we can improve next season.

Yep....if LJ gets his way and brings in 6 or 7 new signings we could well see a very different midfield and strike force next season.

Now is the time to seriously strengthen in readiness for the next campaign. SL understands that - one of the criticisms he aimed at GJ was that he never strengthened after getting so close all those years ago. I can’t see him turning down reasonable funding requests particularly after such a decent season.

I know it's been said already, but I'll say it again. I'd have taken 8th given we lost Bobby, Flint and Joe over the summer. I really did think we were going to be relegation candidates this season so I'm very pleased to be proved wrong.

So in comparison to my expectation, well done LJ and the team. 

1 minute ago, Lucan said:

I thought it was possible yes. Hardly a fairytale season.

Delusional people on this forum

I’m surprised. 

When you look at what we lost in the summer. Plus the recruitment (yes we knew Kalas and Weimann were proven) wasn’t looking like it was going to fill the gaps of what we’d lost, add into that how poor the second half to last season was and it didn’t look too rosy last August on here for many. 

I certainly didn’t expect us to trump last seasons efforts

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Yep....if LJ gets his way and brings in 6 or 7 new signings we could well see a very different midfield and strike force next season.

Now is the time to seriously strengthen in readiness for the next campaign. SL understands that - one of the criticisms he aimed at GJ was that he never strengthened after getting so close all those years ago. I can’t see him turning down reasonable funding requests particularly after such a decent season.

You have not got the first idea what lansdown understands or wants  stop pretending you know the bloke

4 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

You have not got the first idea what lansdown understands or wants  stop pretending you know the bloke

I’ve met SL many times but I don’t  know him. It’s not as if we hold deep and meaningful conversations.

It was either at a meeting or in conversation that he said that GJ didn’t strengthen after the pray off final and that had cost us the following season. 

From that I deduce that SL understands how important strengthening the squad is particularly after a very decent season and will be willing to make the necessary funds available. 

Fair play to you @Robbored In December/January I said no way were we top 8, you said we were... you were right

even if i was only one place out from being right  :laugh:

City can and should feel proud of the season. Cheers, Robbored

8th is good in that it's a slight progression on last season and (most importantly) wasn't the backwards step that many of us thought it could be when we lost our 3 best players in the summer.  It's definitely not a massive achievement or anything though.  We've been flirting around the play off places for 3 seasons now.  Anything other than top 6 next year will be seen as a let down (although I think another top 10 finish wouldn't be terrible).

2 hours ago, Loco Rojo said:

I know it's been said already, but I'll say it again. I'd have taken 8th given we lost Bobby, Flint and Joe over the summer. I really did think we were going to be relegation candidates this season so I'm very pleased to be proved wrong.

So in comparison to my expectation, well done LJ and the team. 

My view exactly. What we have seen under LJ is steady progress and I am very happy with a top ten finish this season. 

I am optimistic that LJ will stay with us and re-build over the summer and my gut feeling is that next season will be our promotion season. 

Yes, mistakes have been made but I have faith in the current management team and I trust them to set us up well for the start of next season. 

I’ve met SL many times but I don’t  know him. It’s not as if we hold deep and meaningful conversations.

It was either at a meeting or in conversation that he said that GJ didn’t strengthen after the pray off final and that had cost us the following season. 

From that I deduce that SL understands how important strengthening the squad is particularly after a very decent season and will be willing to make the necessary funds available. 

I have also met SL. Very decent bloke and definitely "one of our own". 

Did you hear the Hull fans today chanting abuse at their current owners ?

We are very fortunate to have SL. Bristol born. Genuine fan and hugely wealthy - it does not get better. 

3 hours ago, JBFC II said:

At the start of the season did you really see us in 8th battling for a place in the play offs on the final day? 

There is a clear tendency for people to forget that in the second half of  last season we were in an auto promotion position. 

This is the second season running that we tailed away.

I know it doesn't meet the current agenda of the forum, where it seems like we are meant to tow the line that we are over achieving. 

Personally I think we really lack experience in the coach and the coaching staff, we got ourselves into a position where a good to average last half a dozen games would see us clearly in the play offs, but don’t seem to have the know how, nouse and experience to finish off the job.

I can remember an interview with SL where he said something along the lines of "due to the playoffs and heightened profile of the club players were available that in hindsight we probably weren't ready for" (it might have been a fans meeting a while ago - maybe when we played forest). Unsurprisingly I took this to be the exact opposite of what you describe.

Was your understanding that the players we did sign weren't good enough or that we just didn't sign enough? 

4 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Was your understanding that the players we did sign weren't good enough or that we just didn't sign enough? 

Both. 

GJ was too loyal to the players that had reached the pray off final rather than strengthening to go again the following season. As we know it all went tits up......

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

Both. 

GJ was too loyal to the players that had reached the pray off final rather than strengthening to go again the following season. As we know it all went tits up......

When you say tits up - I thought 10th in our second season in this league was successful, certainly better than we have managed this time around when we finished 18th in our first season and 17th in our second. 

8 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

There is a clear tendency for people to forget that in the second half of  last season we were in an auto promotion position. 

This is the second season running that we tailed away.

I know it doesn't meet the current agenda of the forum, where it seems like we are meant to tow the line that we are over achieving. 

Personally I think we really lack experience in the coach and the coaching staff, we got ourselves into a position where a good to average last half a dozen games would see us clearly in the play offs, but don’t seem to have the know how, nouse and experience to finish off the job.

Maybe next season they will have learned from their ‘ mistakes ‘.

I know LJ changed our style to avoid the burn out that we had last year . 

Undoubtedly a great finishing position and another season of improvement.  I should be ecstatic but once again i’m left thinking it should/could have been so much better.  A few bad runs, terrible home form which the coaching team couldn’t address, a lack of creativity and a perceived lack of investment by the board when once again we were in a position to consolidate top 6. It was still a great season so not moaning but from the position we found ourselves in close to the end of the season and the poor form Derby and Boro were in we really did let ourselves down and realistically there’s lots to work on from all involved if we really want to be contenders next season.

13 hours ago, Lucan said:

Delusional people on this forum

You know what a delusion is?

its a false belief not shared by others of the same race or religion and that cannot be altered by rational argument.

Maybe it’s you who are delusional....................:cool2:

Archived