IGNORED

Palmer

JasonM88

3 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Not sure, but certainly sounds like Johnson has plans for him. 

I (cynically) think it was typical post-match/season stuff.  Not gonna say he was crap is he.  And I agree with LJ, I think there’s a real player in there, and at 22, a great age too....but LJ will need to think about a different system to accommodate him.  You’d need two energetic players in midfield, I just don’t think you can have Palmer and Pack.  I could see Brownhill, Smith and Palmer, but poor old Korey is out for a good while.

Think there will be other interest, as there will be in the other two.  Gonna be a long summer.

10 minutes ago, grifty said:

All the talk was about whether he’s worth signing at the end of the season, but what if we could get him on loan from the start of next year?

Very good point.  I did wonder whether Kalas on loan again might be an option too.

Can't see Palmer wanting to stay after LJ has mainly used him as a bench warmer. Then take today, best player on the pitch, and he gets subbed off whilst Weimann who had offered nothing (and continued to do so) stay on...

LJs biggest failings for me are not finding a way to accommodate giving Palmer and Eliasson more game time, and dicking around with 3/5 at the back when with Kalas & Webster in a back four we looked really solid with the RB position being the only weak link.

Hope we sign him. I believe he has got great ability. Noticed that LJ has said that his fitness is not high enough & would need a pre season under him ideally. I think a lot depends on the personal relationship they have, if Palmer trusts LJ, I can see it happening. City is a great place for young  players striving to move up the ladder imo. Just depends if Palmer can see that.  COYR 

Since the day he walked in to this club he seemed happy and he has a small family so may like the idea of settling down for a couple of years.

I actually think signing him is not the issue - it is whether LJ wants him and what Chelsea’s plans are.

Meh - we’ll see

20 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

For a 22 year old he is an outstanding prospect. But he has a lot of work to do on the defensive side of his game. 

If we sign him then I am not sure Fam in front of him is the right blend. Kasey looks like he needs an on the shoulder type to get onto his clever through balls. 

Fam needs runners to support him and get onto his knock downs. Kasey doesn't appear to be that kind of player.

Needs a McBurnie, Hogan type to feed.  There was one lovely shimmy today, followed by a through ball without looking....but Fam let it run under his foot, when he would’ve been in.

we should just sign him anyway,hes got talent,he is probs mates with kalas and DaSilva too. might help things there,who knows??. 

the more options we have for midfield the better especially in games where we cant break teams down, someone like palmer doing the unexpected might just get through

Not sure he could play behind Fam as a lone striker, not enough movement. Maybe behind Fam and Semenyo or Weimann but we'd have to play a different formation.

Not sure I'd spend the rumoured £4m but there you go. 

Interesting Johnson saying Palmer wasn't fit enough.

Thought it a while ago- in terms of say Palmer behind A.N.Other- could the solution lie within?

Palmer behind Diedhiou? Not for me. Not so compatible.

Palmer behind Weimann though? I think that could have a lot of potential.

They are both quite technically good, compatible- thinking they really could dovetail, interchange well- Palmer running at players, Weimann with his clever early runs...

Not saying we don't need a high calibre striker too but I think that would be a combination worth considering. If £4m, then that money has potential to be better spent elsewhere too IMO- could depend on wages too.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Very good point.  I did wonder whether Kalas on loan again might be an option too.

Given Chelsea will be restricted on the number of players they can loan out next season I doubt this will be the case.

They will loan out players who they consider might have a future, Mount for example, but look to cash in on those who have been around for a while but not given a chance, Kalas being prime contender.

From Chelsea’s point of view there is little benefit to loaning Kalas again when he has no future at Chelsea.

Same will Palmer who at 22 cannot be regarded by them as one for the future any longer.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thought it a while ago- in terms of say Palmer behind A.N.Other- could the solution lie within?

Palmer behind Diedhiou? Not for me. Not so compatible.

Palmer behind Weimann though? I think that could have a lot of potential.

They are both quite technically good, compatible- thinking they really could dovetail, interchange well- Palmer running at players, Weimann with his clever early runs...

Not saying we don't need a high calibre striker too but I think that would be a combination worth considering. If £4m, then that money has potential to be better spent elsewhere too IMO- could depend on wages too.

Really? I think that  Weimann is poor in that department. Needs 3 touches before the ball settles imo. I agree the movements there & the willing work rate. COYR 

I think it'd be very brave of LJ to see him as a project to work on, especially as he enters a results oriented phase of his tenure, but it wouldn't surprise me and I think shows how pragmatic we now think as a club and how confident LJ is in his abilities.

Personally at face value I wouldn't touch Palmer with a barge pole, it's exciting to watch, but he plays the game like he is still in a school playground, the pirouette where he gave it away on halfway in the second half and Hull nearly scored, had been coming.

However there is clearly a good footballer in there and certainly someone who can read the game and sees openings really well. If LJ thinks he can coach discipline and less of the show pony into him without losing all the flair, that's good enough for me.

7 minutes ago, Olé said:

I think it'd be very brave of LJ to see him as a project to work on, especially as he enters a results oriented phase of his tenure, but it wouldn't surprise me and I think shows how pragmatic we now think as a club and how confident LJ is in his abilities.

Personally at face value I wouldn't touch Palmer with a barge pole, it's exciting to watch, but he plays the game like he is still in a school playground, the pirouette where he gave it away on halfway in the second half and Hull nearly scored, had been coming.

However there is clearly a good footballer in there and certainly someone who can read the game and sees openings really well. If LJ thinks he can coach discipline and less of the show pony into him without losing all the flair, that's good enough for me.

I would argue that at 22 he is a very talented player at this level and we should sign him up. We don't want to miss this opportunity.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Needs a McBurnie, Hogan type to feed.  There was one lovely shimmy today, followed by a through ball without looking....but Fam let it run under his foot, when he would’ve been in.

Spot on Dave, I couldn't agree more fella.

He's what we 'haven't got' and we could really build something around him, IF he is prepared to put the defensive work in. Maybe that's what LJ meant when he said he 'needs a pre season under me'?

He has the talent, has he got the hunger? He could be sensational.

Good song as well. ;)

17 hours ago, grifty said:

All the talk was about whether he’s worth signing at the end of the season, but what if we could get him on loan from the start of next year?

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The new loan rules could help or hinder us/Chelsea. With the limit dropping to 20 (I think) , really looks like Chelsea will have some choices to make. They have an embargo coming into effect so might have to use some of the better ones themselves , but they will surely be looking to trim their younger squads. Plus Kalas has stated his wish for a permanent move (?) , and with JDS fee agreed, why couldn't we get all 3 for a reasonable fee. Not nearly as far fetched as it would/could have seemed a few months ago. 

February 22 2019

The Blues have been banned from registering players for two consecutive transfer windows for 29 incidences of breaching article 19, which relates to the transfer of players aged under 18

Just looked and FIFA's new rules are not in until 2020-2021,  and they are even harsher than I thought. Only 6-8 players allowed out on loan. This is a bit from the site......

Chelsea face having to sell around 30 players in the next 18 months after it was revealed that FIFA’s plans to drastically cut the number of loans could come into force for the 2020-21 season.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/premier-league/2018-2019/football-news-fifa-s-new-loan-rules-could-force-chelsea-to-sell-30-players_sto7031862/story.shtml

12 hours ago, Olé said:

I agree. Fantastic to watch at times but as you say, plays like a young kid at times with no real discipline. 

I guess it all comes down to money aswell. We all know the sort of player we want / need in midfield...but it's whether we are willing to spend the cash. 

I still wish we took a punt on Bradley Dack when he was a Gillingham. Fantastic player on his day 

15 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I agree. Fantastic to watch at times but as you say, plays like a young kid at times with no real discipline. 

I guess it all comes down to money aswell. We all know the sort of player we want / need in midfield...but it's whether we are willing to spend the cash. 

I still wish we took a punt on Bradley Dack when he was a Gillingham. Fantastic player on his day 

I think you will find that 'we' would have liked to have signed him, but it was him or, rather, his club chairman who was less than keen....

2 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

I still wish we took a punt on Bradley Dack when he was a Gillingham.

I thought we did enquire, but at the same time as they looked good for promotion/playoffs we were flirting with relegation. He thought he was better off staying , think he signed a new contract. 

Archived