IGNORED

Safe standing?

leadman

2020/21 I'd have thought, in terms of legislation

With the dreaded 'B' word safe standing along with most other things are on the back burner just crawling along.

The good news is that a poll of 100 MPs had 2/3 in favour. 65% IIRC. The Sports Minister is yet to be totally convinced I believe and fans behaviour in the ground especially will have an impact on timescale especially.

35 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Need to extend the unreserved section by 1 block.

Don't disagree. Will the SAG give the go-ahead though? Could have a compromise for now with unreserved section as it is and a partially relaxed approach in Atyeo.

For example away fans, segregation then some home fans who you give some leeway too but can't be as much as S27-S25.

6 minutes ago, Lucan said:

I know I’m in the minority here, so don’t flame me but I am dead against it.

I understand standing and singing improves atmosphere, no arguments. But if there is even a 0.0001% chance it is less safe I don’t want it.

having been in a stadium crush situation (no, not Hillsborough) and fearing for my wife’s life I never want to see another disaster. 

I know my fears may seem irrational.

Also, I’m a shorty so getting stuck behind a 6ft bloke really stuffs up my views... 

Fair points but the desire is for a small section of the ground to be safe standing and the rail seats prevent people from falling or being pushed into the row below.

It's not going to be imposed upon anybody and stadiums will remain primarily all seater.

Personally I'd rather stand so would like to have that option at AG.

47 minutes ago, Lucan said:

I understand standing and singing improves atmosphere, no arguments. But if there is even a 0.0001% chance it is less safe I don’t want it.

having been in a stadium crush situation (no, not Hillsborough) and fearing for my wife’s life I never want to see another disaster. 

Also, I’m a shorty so getting stuck behind a 6ft bloke really stuffs up my views... 

I think if you read up on it that should ease your concerns.

It won’t be entire stadiums, only certain sections.

It’s not open terrace like the old days, it’s seats with a raised rail behind that you can lean on and will stop people falling forward so no danger of a crush. It’s actually a lot safer than the current arrangements in standing areas in stadiums.

47 minutes ago, Lucan said:

I would say it's safer than some of the seats I've sat in. Remember in the old EastEnd, there were some seats where the backs were the same level as the pathway. At Man City the front few seats were covered but were only just above feet level, both I could easily see someone tripping over. The gap between seats and or rails are the same , and the supports mean you can't fall forward. Seems much safer to me.

Unless you get someone about a foot or more taller you should be ok, the steps would give you about an 8" head start.

• Admin
14 hours ago, Lucan said:

Interesting to read, and fully understand your thoughts

But by design, these rail seats would be safer for someone standing that someone standing behind a seat as is now

Archived