IGNORED

Match Report: Curtain call for City led by its two perennial villains

Olé

Having taken the season all the way to the final day, it was perhaps grimly ironic that City's main limitations this year - a lack of cutting edge and comically bad officiating - both made a further appearance for the last time this campaign, in painful tandem.  

In truth it mattered little as results among rivals elsewhere ended City's fine season anyway, but it was somewhat predictable that we would fall short in our own job due to familiar foe: little forward threat, terrible finishing, and new levels of reffing idiocy.

Famara missed an extraordinary first half open goal - surely strengthening the loud voices of his ample detractors - while the linesman and ref second half produced 2 farcical moments of officiating, ruling out one goal and belatedly approving another.

To make clear their attacking intent, City gave Kasey Palmer a rare start after his important cameo midweek, but the writing was on the wall inside just two minutes as player of the season Webster went down with a hamstring strain and had to go off.

The visitors took the game to Hull and just minutes later Pack ran through the middle and fed Paterson whose through ball was cut out, but Brownhill quickly recycled and swung a right wing cross in which Famara steered at the keeper with a tough header.

On 8 minutes a smart passing move down City's left side allowed the lively Paterson to overlap dangerously in the box, but his cross was well cut out. Nonetheless City were making all the running, encouraging signs for their bumper away day following. 

Sadly that wasn't a prelude for the match as a whole as Hull grew in confidence and for the next ten minutes produced a string of long range shots well over, culminating in Stewart going closest on 18 minutes via a low effort that flashed just wide of goal.

News came in that Derby were ahead and the match seemed to respond, going flat, albeit on 26 minutes Kalas cut a ball back, Palmer dragged the ball across goal, then Paterson lifted a clever ball over the top, and Diedhiou, on the last man, blazed over.

With Boro now ahead too, City's fixture by contrast was scrappy and short of quality, yet on 40 minutes the visitors passed up an easy goal. Brownhill headed a deep cross back across goal, Diedhiou glancing onto the bar from a yard out with an open goal.

Before half time O'Leary tipped Bowen's low shot from the edge of the box around the post, and minutes later Bailey Wright gave the ball away badly on the touchline allowing Hull to centre dangerously across goal - clear reminder the hosts were a threat. 

The second half brought news of a West Brom equaliser at Derby but any hope City would be similarly galvanised was quickly lost as Palmer did a flashy spin on the ball and lost it, Hull broke quickly and flashed a ball across goal, Campbell nearly turning in.

Next City lost the ball at their own corner and another rapid Hull break forced Kelly to race back to cut out the chance. The visitors were making mistakes in a push to score but Diedhiou did fight off a defender and feed Paterson who curled just wide.

But minutes later more errors led to a Hull opener. Dasilva underhit a free kick, which was intercepted, the hosts breaking again and their early ball into the box saw Kelly stick out a foot to block, only to deflect it to unmarked Irvine to slam a low shot home.

City nearly hit back immediately, Palmer spread the ball in midfield, Brownhill ran at the defence and threaded a diagonal ball out wide for Wright, who produced a great cross into the box and Weimann hesitated to shoot, wrongly feeding an offside Diedhiou.

Johnson immediately threw on Taylor and Eliassson, hauling off Diedhiou and Palmer - both poor - and both subs combined for an equalising 'goal' within 5 minutes, both trying to scramble home from a Brownhill cross, Eliasson eventually bundling it in.

There was certainly suspicion of handball but the ref gave the goal and the linesman turned to run back to the halfway line. Yet following hounding from Hull players, the linesman returned to inform the referee it wasn't a goal, despite having not flagged.

Truly comical officiating of a standard that City is now accustomed to. Perhaps it was the right outcome but bizarre to see a VAR style intervention from officials whose only new information was via Hull players, and a lino that was running back to halfway.

Combined with both other key games now going comfortably the way of City's rivals, the day died a death, and besides the odd Eliassson cross, the last half hour fizzled out until minutes from time when O'Leary saved point blank with Bowen clean through.

Amazingly it stung a final effort from City and heading into injury time Eliasson cut back onto his left foot out on the right and swung a deep cross that Brownhill headed goalwards from beyond the far post. It hit a defender, went under offside Taylor and in.

The same linesman flagged Taylor offside and City's striker protested furiously as he had hopped deliberately over the ball - the ref returning for another lengthy chat and this time awarded the goal, adjudging that a Hull player had got the final touch.

More odd officiating totally lacking in any confidence or decisiveness, but City could at least be thankful that there was nothing left riding on this entertaining sideshow by the men in black. It summed up a game that full of mistakes and low on quality.

In the end a fair result and it certainly wasn't one that merited a playoff berth, not that it was ever likely. City will have at least got the sharpest reminder before the summer where they must strengthen - up front and quality on the ball out of central midfield.

Unfortunately Johnson's men can't rectify the quality of match officials similarly this off season - the worst in my 26 years - so we will have to rely on the EFL to pull their finger out, although I suspect they will be far too busy ignoring FFP breaches instead.

Enjoy your summers.

O'Leary 6 One great save and could do little about the goal

Wright 6 One of our better players and got forward to good effect 

Dasilva 6 Tireless but little forward threat and set pieces were poor

Webster n/a Off too soon to rate

Kalas 6 Struggled a little with Hull's pace on the break but we are really going to miss his quality

Pack 6 Didn't really get control of midfield and got a silly yellow for losing the ball and then hacking the player down 

Brownhill 7 One of his better games and always a threat around their box

Palmer 5 Occasionally bright but mainly a massive show pony who wants too many touches and doesn't respect possession

Paterson 6 Picked up where he left off on Tuesday and was by far our most influential player first half, faded badly in the second (was virtually non-existent)

Weimann 5 Thought it was a poor game for him, never really got into it and was little threat, as much as he runs around

Diedhiou 5 One for his dissenters, wasted two good chances, one spectacular in how bad it was, did not look happy going off but manager had little option

Kelly 6 One goal saving track back and tackle offset by a half hearted block that led to their goal

Eliassson 7 Provided the quality delivery we badly needed, and tellingly from both wings, sadly not enough good strikers to make use of the supply line

Taylor 6 Was busier than Diedhiou and is something different for defenders to think about but frankly with both other games well set I'd rather have seen Eisa or Janneh or literally anyone else

Thanks Ole for your insightful reports this season. To be fair to yesterday's officials farcically deliberating about whether to allow City's two goals, they reached the ground late and didn't have time to deliberate in the dressing rooms before kick-off whether to allow any City goals/give opponents a dodgy pen/send A City player off or even all three as the refs and linos normally do.

Thanks for this @Olé and for the reports all season. They are always good to read the morning after an away game.

As you say, Max didn't have lots to do, and I wouldn't argue with the 6, but I felt that the game showed just how much he has learnt very quickly during his unexpected run in the side. He was making good decisions about when to come for balls and when's not, and when he came he was claiming them. He just gave an air of a bit more confidence. I'm sure he won't start next season, and probably a loan in league 1 would be the ideal next step, but he's benefitted hugely from the last few weeks, even if we'd possibly have more points had we not been forced to use him!

Dasilva: similarly, no argument with a 6 yesterday, but he now looks a lot more comfortable with his defensive role than he did earlier in the season. For all the Brentford's when his attacking flair won us the game there was a Reading when he disappeared defensively and cost us the game. Much more consistent yesterday and now.

Palmer: I'm with others who give him more credit for yesterday. More came off than didn't, and although you could argue it's a matter of luck, his mistakes didn't cost us. He's undoubtedly a threat when his tricks come off, and I guess with any player like that you have to accept that not all of them will. If they did he'd be playing Champions League with Barcelona! I think he's always looking for someone to make that incisive run he can play too, and when they don't he holds on to the ball until they do. He maybe needs to pass backwards sometimes. I did think he looked more interested in tracking back yesterday than he sometimes has.

Pack was getting back to being Pack yesterday. Much more effective, passing was so much better than of late, albeit it probably couldn't get any worse! Again, no argument with the 6, but it was good to see the greater positivity from him.

I'm normally a Diedhiou fan. Maybe most of his recognition comes from those who travel away. But agree yesterday was very poor from him. I wasn't surprised or sorry to see him subbed. And to be fair we did start to keep the ball on the deck after he went off, and got forward in some numbers. 

I wonder how many of the players you've scored above we will see our first game in August. Hopefully your reports will still be with us. Have a good summer! 

10 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Eliasson needs to be the first team on the team sheet next year, our one player who can make something from nothing. Most assists for us in the league also despite quite often not even being a starter. 

I think he will be. It seems to be how we do things. Younger players especially, brought through slowly, with bit parts one season then more established the next. Likewise with Lloyd Kelly (tho I'm not sure where he fits in, assuming we keep Dasilva and Webster and 4-4-2). 

Just now, italian dave said:

I think he will be. It seems to be how we do things. Younger players especially, brought through slowly, with bit parts one season then more established the next. Likewise with Lloyd Kelly (tho I'm not sure where he fits in, assuming we keep Dasilva and Webster and 4-4-2). 

Think Kelly will be at left centre back next to Webster if we can't keep Kalas. With Baker coming in if Kelly is out of form or injured. 

Just now, marcofisher said:

Think Kelly will be at left centre back next to Webster if we can't keep Kalas. With Baker coming in if Kelly is out of form or injured. 

Isn't Webster left footed as well though. You may well be right, and I'd be happy with that, provided Webster is as comfortable right side of the back two. 

(Even happier if we kept Kalas, although that would make it harder for Lloyd to push on, and he needs to do that next season).

32 minutes ago, italian dave said:

As you say, Max didn't have lots to do, and I wouldn't argue with the 6, but I felt that the game showed just how much he has learnt very quickly during his unexpected run in the side. He was making good decisions about when to come for balls and when's not, and when he came he was claiming them. He just gave an air of a bit more confidence. I'm sure he won't start next season, and probably a loan in league 1 would be the ideal next step, but he's benefitted hugely from the last few weeks, even if we'd possibly have more points had we not been forced to use him!

I rate Max and feel that he’s done very well when called upon. Yesterday, on a couple of occasions, he passed or threw out balls which were won or intercepted by the opposition resulting in dangerous positions which were entirely self inflicted. Max’s distribution is generally good but yesterday showed that there is considerable room for improvement. But he’s young and he will improve. 

7 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I rate Max and feel that he’s done very well when called upon. Yesterday, on a couple of occasions, he passed or threw out balls which were won or intercepted by the opposition resulting in dangerous positions which were entirely self inflicted. Max’s distribution is generally good but yesterday showed that there is considerable room for improvement. But he’s young and he will improve. 

You're right, and I'd forgotten those. But as you say his distribution generally is good. I sometimes watch him in the warm up, when he kicks balls from the penalty box to the goalkeeping coach who stands out on the touch line around the half way line. 9 times out of 10 Max will land the ball straight into his hands without him having to move. Amazing! 

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

You're right, and I'd forgotten those. But as you say his distribution generally is good. I sometimes watch him in the warm up, when he kicks balls from the penalty box to the goalkeeping coach who stands out on the touch line around the half way line. 9 times out of 10 Max will land the ball straight into his hands without him having to move. Amazing! 

I read on here people suggesting that Max be loaned out next season to a League One team to gain more experience. I disagree. I feel that he needs to be our regular keeper on the bench assuming that we have one!).

i do think that he needs to work with better keepers and possibly coaches in order to take his game to the next level. There are some aspects of his game which are very reminiscent of Frankie, both good eg reaction saves, and not so good eg crosses (although he did look far more confident both at Millwall and Hull).

Max has a very bright future but it needs to be cultivated. The better keepers and coaches with whom he works, the better he’ll become. 

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Isn't Webster left footed as well though. You may well be right, and I'd be happy with that, provided Webster is as comfortable right side of the back two. 

(Even happier if we kept Kalas, although that would make it harder for Lloyd to push on, and he needs to do that next season).

I'm sure Webster is predominantly right footed  but can certainly use his left. Any way he's the best two footed player we have!

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Pretty sure he’s right footed, just been playing left side to accompany Kalas.

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I read on here people suggesting that Max be loaned out next season to a League One team to gain more experience. I disagree. I feel that he needs to be our regular keeper on the bench assuming that we have one!).

i do think that he needs to work with better keepers and possibly coaches in order to take his game to the next level. There are some aspects of his game which are very reminiscent of Frankie, both good eg reaction saves, and not so good eg crosses (although he did look far more confident both at Millwall and Hull).

Max has a very bright future but it needs to be cultivated. The better keepers and coaches with whom he works, the better he’ll become. 

The other thing is which L1 team (other than rovers because Max is better than anything they have) wants to throw a young inexperienced keeper in as first choice? The reality with keepers, unless they're a wonder kid then very few teams outside of Non-League will play them as anything other than backup as the risk of throwing a young keeper in is probably too great.

Max is a good keeper but still learning, i can't see many clubs in L1 or L2 taking that risk over their 'proven' experienced keeper.

2 hours ago, Gimme Shelton said:

I'm sure Webster is predominantly right footed  but can certainly use his left. Any way he's the best two footed player we have!

2 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Pretty sure he’s right footed, just been playing left side to accompany Kalas.

Fair enough. In which case, if we can't keep Kalas, I'd be very happy with us starting next season with Kelly alongside Webster. And spend what we save further upfield! 

3 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Thanks for the reports this season Ole, you do a ******* good job of remembering everything.

I'm thinking @Olé must take notes.  Me, I forget critical details of games by the time I get to the stadium exit...   :wacko:

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm thinking @Olé must take notes.  Me, I forget critical details of games by the time I get to the stadium exit...   :wacko:

I used to treat it as a memory exercise and chain events into a long mental sequence of player initials as triggers to events that I could remember afterwards.

Now I drink too much, such a prospect is completely beyond me, so I tap this shorthand into my mobile, alongside checking on in play bets on the match too.

It's a small distraction but when I couldn't afford to go to away games I always hung on other OTIBers reports, and writing passes time on long train trips back.

There hasn't been a season like this for quality away results in my lifetime (and fantastic support too) so it's ideally about promoting the great experience it is.

If people have the opportunity (I know not everyone can) do try and get to away games, the atmosphere, friendliness, passion etc is lightyears better than AG.

For me home games are more of a social occasion, away games by contrast feel much more like cup ties / conquests and City have done us proud all season!

thought Palmer flattered to deceive - too many tricks and not enough end product. Very nearly presented Hull with a goal when simple passes would have been much more effective. Certainly talented but needs to learn when to use tricks, dribbles and when to make the simple pass. Famara unlucky the header that missed seemed to be because the headed "cross" from Brownhill cam marginally too fast and too high. Agree officiating was , as has become standard in our games of late, utterly incompetent.

Not sure I agree about Palmer. His distribution isn’t amazing but he seems to try tricky passes when you feel he could just run at them a little longer. He seems to have no problem running past people. Whenever I watch him, I wish he just tried to run through the defence as opposed to playing a heavy pass to Fam.

1 hour ago, Nathandao said:

Not sure I agree about Palmer. His distribution isn’t amazing but he seems to try tricky passes when you feel he could just run at them a little longer. He seems to have no problem running past people. Whenever I watch him, I wish he just tried to run through the defence as opposed to playing a heavy pass to Fam.

LJ  seems to like Palmer. and is quoted as wanting to sign him.   He stated that he felt that Palmer was not sufficieintly fit, and that given a full pre-seasom Palmer would be a better player, and would be a great addition.  I trust LJ........so lets hope he signs?           PS.  Big Big thankyou to Ole for his outstanding away match reports, that leave the Post's efforts looking decideldy average.  They are always honest, insightful and essential reading.   Please come back for next seasons promotion season Ole, as your match reports will be the cherry on the Championship cake!!

Archived