IGNORED

Will LJ Leave.

bpexile

Just for the record I'm really hoping that LJ continues his good work with us but I have a gut feeling that if the board don't back him during the summer we will lose him. I just have this feeling that his statement of "Bristol City being bold in the summer transfer market" could be a message with a warning to the board & SL that if he doesn't get the backing he needs, he could get it elsewhere. There is no shortage of rumours of other clubs showing interest in him & why wouldn't they ?. As I said I really hope he stays because the club has made big inroads & would hate him to leave without achieving his & our dream.

What are the thoughts of other supporters out there ?

Be 'bold' yes, but not risk the finances of the club would be my feelings exile. If he isn't happy with what we can afford to spend, then he leaves to fulfill his ambitions at a club with more £££ I guess.

Being held to ransom by a head coach / Manager isn't a good place to be IMHO and I can't see SL putting up with threats.

Yes, I would like him to stay but under the terms of what BCFC can afford to do, not what Lee Johnson wants per se.

5 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Be 'bold' yes, but not risk the finances of the club would be my feelings exile. If he isn't happy with what we can afford to spend, then he leaves to fulfill his ambitions at a club with more £££ I guess.

Being held to ransom by a head coach / Manager isn't a good place to be IMHO and I can't see SL putting up with threats.

Yes, I would like him to stay but under the terms of what BCFC can afford to do, not what Lee Johnson wants per se.

Thanks SJ but I wasn't thinking of a ransom situation or putting the clubs finances at risk, I know LJ has stated many times of the need for sensible finance management. I do however feel his frustrations for failing to secure a top striker in the last period, for whatever reasons. I guess I was just airing my fear of him leaving if the funds to improve were not available. But in saying that I'm obviously aware that SL has sunk huge amounts of £'s into BCFC to which we should all be very grateful. Hopefully LJ gets the backing he needs.

6 hours ago, maxjak said:

How many more times does this need to be said???  LJ is going nowhere........he WILL be here nevt season ???

As quoted in Bristol Live when responding to questions about other clubs

”this is my team and my club”

not a chance him leaving here,

2 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

As quoted in Bristol Live when responding to questions about other clubs

”this is my team and my club”

not a chance him leaving here,

Absolutely right.

LJ loves Bristol City and thinks he has the dream job. I can’t see him choosing to go anywhere.

To me he has the safest job in football.

I think the difference now is that LJ holds the cards so to speak.

Before...SL gave him the opportunity....with no experience at this level.

Now...LJ has proven he has the ability to play productive football on a Limited budget.

I think he's proven that you can take a team so far under the present system. To get over the line we just need that bit more quality. 

Players we've invested in and developed paired with that added quality are what's needed for that final push so to speak.

I think we all know that...and I think LJ realises that. Hence the comments about recruitment.

It imo is now down to the board to agree and for targeted players to come.

If he's not backed...then I could see him moving the following season.

How far do you/can you back a manager if he only has one year left on his contract? Surely the club need to show they support him fully by sorting his own future contract out first.

Once sorted you then have an implied commitment on both sides. In my opinion it is at that point you give him the funds to carry on building his team.

3 minutes ago, Redstart said:

How far do you/can you back a manager if he only has one year left on his contract? Surely the club need to show they support him fully by sorting his own future contract out first.

Once sorted you then have an implied commitment on both sides. In my opinion it is at that point you give him the funds to carry on building his team.

What do you know about anything , Redstart? You only come here in the summer and sod off to warmer climes in the winter!   :laugh:

Joking aside, i totally agree with what you say

SL has shown enormous loyalty to LJ. It’s now time that LJ reciprocated.

In any event, I really can’t see a top half premiership team coming for him. Therefore, to get his chance in the holy land, he’s going to have to settle for a struggling bottom half team. 

And as a number of our ex-players have found, the grass is not always greener (although the pay chèque will undoubtedly be better if that’s his true motivation).

I would be amazed if any Prem club came in for him, what’s he done, can he manage big money stars and what’s he done????

perhaps if he leads us to the play-offs or better some club might be interested. 

He’s only a babby, Uncle Steve will look after him , too young to leave home???

9 hours ago, bpexile said:

Just for the record I'm really hoping that LJ continues his good work with us but I have a gut feeling that if the board don't back him during the summer we will lose him. I just have this feeling that his statement of "Bristol City being bold in the summer transfer market" could be a message with a warning to the board & SL that if he doesn't get the backing he needs, he could get it elsewhere. There is no shortage of rumours of other clubs showing interest in him & why wouldn't they ?. As I said I really hope he stays because the club has made big inroads & would hate him to leave without achieving his & our dream.

Nobody will come in for him.

1 hour ago, Redstart said:

SL was asked if there were any plans to discuss an extended contract and said I don't know, you're asking the wrong guy. So it's down to Ashton.

10 hours ago, bpexile said:

Spot on.

That statement wasn't off the cuff, he will go if the board/SL doesn't back him.

And rightly so

He will have offers no doubt.

Interesting he only has 1 year left on his deal. Given how proactive the club have been in keeping him signed up (remember THAT contract extension?!) what's happened this time? Is LJ stalling this time?

Also has anyone else noticed in the press conferences.....MacGregor - always seems to be the one to ask very specific, often pointed, questions and LJ is always ready with a detailed answer? I've thought it for weeks now.

For me, they sound too prepared and I think MacGregor is having a quiet coffee with LJ every week.....

So what does he ask him this week - "you've only got a year left on your deal...." followed by "what about your Chelsea loaness..." which LJ says I want to keep them all. Quite the message.

It's been said elsewhere but it's getting clearer to me LJ expects some serious backing this summer and he's been ramping up the rhetoric the last few weeks.

Those who think he won't be off because his job here is too cushty underestimate how ambitious and how confident the man is in his own ability, IMO.

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Spot on.

That statement wasn't off the cuff, he will go if the board/SL doesn't back him.

And rightly so

He will have offers no doubt.

I’d be very very surprised if LJ left City of his own accord. I think he has enough brownie points in the bank to convince the board that he’d need funds to enable City to push on next season.

That said if he doesn’t get the backing that might leave him feeling aggrieved enough for him reconsider his position.

Im pretty sure he’ll get what he’s asking for tho.

11 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Interesting he only has 1 year left on his deal. Given how proactive the club have been in keeping him signed up (remember THAT contract extension?!) what's happened this time? Is LJ stalling this time?

Also has anyone else noticed in the press conferences.....MacGregor - always seems to be the one to ask very specific, often pointed, questions and LJ is always ready with a detailed answer? I've thought it for weeks now.

For me, they sound too prepared and I think MacGregor is having a quiet coffee with LJ every week.....

So what does he ask him this week - "you've only got a year left on your deal...." followed by "what about your Chelsea loaness..." which LJ says I want to keep them all. Quite the message.

It's been said elsewhere but it's getting clearer to me LJ expects some serious backing this summer and he's been ramping up the rhetoric the last few weeks.

Those who think he won't be off because his job here is too cushty underestimate how ambitious and how confident the man is in his own ability, IMO.

Really? So LJ sits down evry week with Gregor McGregorface and tells him his plans?  After due consideration..........do you believe that to be true?  IMHO, that is beyond comprehension. I'm trying to be polite .

respect and being loyal is 2 way and I'm sure lee appreciates Steve has stuck by him and lets be honest so have us fans.i think a good relationship is being built from top to bottom and steve will back lee in the summer as the time is right for a big push.

From the bit I heard of SL on the radio pre-match he seemed to say there was no intention to change the strategy. You can interpret that different ways but it didn't sound like they are about to start a new phase, or make some kind of significant splurge on new players.

I'm sure people will say it is better to do it all in secrecy. I just don't get the impression that SL plays games like that though.

11 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

From the bit I heard of SL on the radio pre-match he seemed to say there was no intention to change the strategy. You can interpret that different ways but it didn't sound like they are about to start a new phase, or make some kind of significant splurge on new players.

I'm sure people will say it is better to do it all in secrecy. I just don't get the impression that SL plays games like that though.

I don't think it's about changing strategy....more a case of adapting it in line with progress.

If we were a prem top 6 team....we wouldn't be signing Liam Walsh and Matty Taylor. We are now top half champ team so with that comes changing of targets fees wages.....in line with new expectations.

He will not change philosophy, but he should adapt the boundaries in line with progress 

3 hours ago, spudski said:

I think the difference now is that LJ holds the cards so to speak.

Before...SL gave him the opportunity....with no experience at this level.

Now...LJ has proven he has the ability to play productive football on a Limited budget.

I think he's proven that you can take a team so far under the present system. To get over the line we just need that bit more quality. 

Players we've invested in and developed paired with that added quality are what's needed for that final push so to speak.

I think we all know that...and I think LJ realises that. Hence the comments about recruitment.

It imo is now down to the board to agree and for targeted players to come.

If he's not backed...then I could see him moving the following season.

Be interesting to know. Remember that 12 months ago, SL said he wanted us to "get in the top six .... and vie for promotion at the end of the season." 

Are they squabbling, or disputing this? Did next season's budget depend on finishing place this season?

Lee: "we were vie-ing for promotion, we were! Right till the end!"

Steve: "we're not in the top six"

Lee: "we will be, next season. If you cough up for Kalas. And six more."

Steve: "-Top six first. Then the budget follows."

Lee: "Marlon hasn't slept for weeks ... the ref at Villa, and all Wiemann's disallowed g"

Steve: "Top six!!"

2 minutes ago, Lez said:

I don't think it's about changing strategy....more a case of adapting it in line with progress.

If we were a prem top 6 team....we wouldn't be signing Liam Walsh and Matty Taylor. We are now top half champ team so with that comes changing of targets fees wages.....in line with new expectations.

He will not change philosophy, but he should adapt the boundaries in line with progress 

3 minutes ago, Lez said:

If SL was to come out and say we are going for it next season what would the selling clubs do?          Yes they up the price!

I hope that they can do business with Chelsea early on the players we want from their. As for other targets it will be a case of approaching the club with an offer the club saying Yes/No or they go public hoping for a better bid from a richer club.

SL main statement is that the club need to stay within its means and not break the club. SL continues to put in his own money to prop up the club finances. 

With record crowds this season they may fill that they and stretch the wages a little more. The club is willing to spend money on the right player but they must fit in the wage structure.

Archived