IGNORED

Will LJ Leave.

bpexile

7 minutes ago, redsapper said:

If SL was to come out and say we are going for it next season what would the selling clubs do?          Yes they up the price!

I hope that they can do business with Chelsea early on the players we want from their. As for other targets it will be a case of approaching the club with an offer the club saying Yes/No or they go public hoping for a better bid from a richer club.

SL main statement is that the club need to stay within its means and not break the club. SL continues to put in his own money to prop up the club finances. 

With record crowds this season they may fill that they and stretch the wages a little more. The club is willing to spend money on the right player but they must fit in the wage structure.

I think we can break the wage structure a bit if:

A) It is for the greater good- continued growth, progression.

B) Most importantly if it is for the right player. No names for the sake of it- have to fit age profile, stylistically, perhaps leadership if they're a bit older and no bad apples.

C) They buy-in. To what we have here, we are trying to go- no easy payday or coasters wanted!

If they fit these, it maybe worth breaking it for one or two.

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Really? So LJ sits down evry week with Gregor McGregorface and tells him his plans?  After due consideration..........do you believe that to be true?  IMHO, that is beyond comprehension. I'm trying to be polite .

I’m not saying for one second LJ tells him all his future plans.

I am saying however, that I’ve heard MacGregor call LJ “mate” in a press conference and that it is often MacGregor who seems to ask those ‘interesting’ questions that give LJ the chance to make his most sound biteable statements to the press.

It is completely in my comprehension that LJ could cultivate a relationship with a reporter where there is a scratch my back situation. LJ feeds him some exclusives....for example the 6/7 new transfers this summer scoop he ran a few weeks ago in exchange for asking LJ a specific questions so he can use the media platform to get his message across.

Nothing new there, it’s been done by politicians, businesspeople and sports people for years. 

It would be very high-risk for LJ to change clubs, if he had a bad run like he's done before it could be enough to get him the sack elsewhere, then he'd be looking for a job in L1/2 a bit like his dad after he left us. If he stays he's got a fair chance of winning promotion next season and ending up a Prem manager, there's also his family to think of who've settled in the area. I know he grew up in the Fulham area and has some connections there but I don't think they'll be any better than us next year even with parachute money.

No, why would he?

Would you leave a job where you get 100% backing from your boss, about to get a significant transfer kitty (hopefully), doesn't sack you at the first sign of trouble, invests in a top training facility to support your vision of taking the club forward year on year?

Or take a sizeable pay packet at a bigger club that want instant success then sack you when you go on a losing streak and get stuck in the revolving door and back on the managerial merry go round?

I know which scenario I would prefer and it's not the latter.

He's not going anywhere and I dare say he will extend his contract in the near future also

The next few months are going to be interesting regarding our transfer activity and would not be surprised to see some early moves by the club to bring in certain players that have been sounded out and contracts agreed in principle back in January when they could talk to clubs

We will see just what LJ meant by being robust and trading players in and out!

21 hours ago, maxjak said:

How many more times does this need to be said???  LJ is going nowhere........he WILL be here nevt season ???

Don't count on that just yet money talks and Fulham will be a massive lure if things don't go the way he wants which I'm sure will take place sooner rather than later as those other clubs need a manager and LJ wants to know how much he can spend. I certainly think he will see his contract out but like I said money talks.

1 hour ago, INCRED said:

No, why would he?

To further his career, enhance his reputation and earn more money.

He’s relatively young (in football management terms) but he’s not inexperienced at all - the seemingly widespread, romantic, notion that LJ would never leave us is pure fantasy - he’s obviously ambitious and if he was offered an alternative, attractive opportunity he’d be gone ....

23 hours ago, bpexile said:

Just for the record I'm really hoping that LJ continues his good work with us but I have a gut feeling that if the board don't back him during the summer we will lose him. I just have this feeling that his statement of "Bristol City being bold in the summer transfer market" could be a message with a warning to the board & SL that if he doesn't get the backing he needs, he could get it elsewhere. There is no shortage of rumours of other clubs showing interest in him & why wouldn't they ?. As I said I really hope he stays because the club has made big inroads & would hate him to leave without achieving his & our dream.

What are the thoughts of other supporters out there ?

For me it’s no concern at all, simply because I still don’t believe he has the answers to get us to the next level. It was clear to me with a few games to go that we would fall short again. I simply don’t believe LJ has the steely determination when it gets tough, to transmit that steel to the players. To successfully take a club like ours to the next level is a tough ask, my honest opinion is I don’t believe he has what it will take. 

I can see why SL and LJ would not be completely on the same page on level of spending and bold transfers.

If I was SL I'd ask to revisit last summers PowerPoint about Mo Eisa first, before I entertained any new ones.

I suspect LJ didn't have much involvement in the Mo Eisa deal.  Not least because there might be a perceived conflict of interest with his dad being manager of Cheltenham and potentially being on a % of transfer profits arrangement.  The fact he hasn't played him also suggests it wasn't something he pushed for.

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

To further his career, enhance his reputation and earn more money.

He’s relatively young (in football management terms) but he’s not inexperienced at all - the seemingly widespread, romantic, notion that LJ would never leave us is pure fantasy - he’s obviously ambitious and if he was offered an alternative, attractive opportunity he’d be gone ....

This.

There are plenty on here that have some romantic view that Lee will be here forever and he loves the club so much he won’t ever leave (by choice). Utter bollocks. He is clearly ambitious and if City don’t match his ambition he will be gone. Particularly if someone offers him a bunch of cash that sees him right for the rest of his life

9 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

For me it’s no concern at all, simply because I still don’t believe he has the answers to get us to the next level. It was clear to me with a few games to go that we would fall short again. I simply don’t believe LJ has the steely determination when it gets tough, to transmit that steel to the players. To successfully take a club like ours to the next level is a tough ask, my honest opinion is I don’t believe he has what it will take. 

I know it’s a cliche but he needs to bring in “winners”.

I’m sure they all work very, very hard (players and staff), but I don’t see enough praise / penalty mentality.  I mean by that, that players who play well, get praise and stay in the team, players that don’t, lose their place.  It’s a tad cosy!  A few players get a bit of favouritism and done get harshly treated.

22 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

It may be just me, but his post-match comments about how wonderful etc. the club is, sounded like a goodbye valedictory........to me ,at least .

You’ve been bummed off too often my friend.

Girlfriends like ; 

» I love you Slartibartfast but I think we should take our time « 

«  You’re a great bloke but ... « 

Poor old Slarti .

:sad26:

Ruined for life .

There's one aspect to this story that hasn't been touched on.

LJ is a former Bristol City player. He also played for the club under his father, and the last time we achieved a playoff position was under his father.

Considering how close they both are, and how they seem pretty competitive as a family, I think LJ would prefer to be promoted with us over winning promotion elsewhere.

Also, to a letter extent, LJ didn't have the best of times with our fans during his playing days. From the start, many fans criticised him as only being here because of daddy, and being a weakest link in a promotion-chasing side. In reality, what he lacked in ability he made up for in work rate, and when he left us we missed that presence sorely. LJ has had his share of probems as manager of this club, but there would be no sweeter sense of vindication than winning promotion for his harshest professional critics.

11 hours ago, Allwaysred said:

Don't count on that just yet money talks and Fulham will be a massive lure if things don't go the way he wants which I'm sure will take place sooner rather than later as those other clubs need a manager and LJ wants to know how much he can spend. I certainly think he will see his contract out but like I said money talks.

Why do people keep talking him up for Fulham ?

Scott Parker will be in that role until Christmas at least.

20 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Loyalty goes out of the window for a price 

I believe that LJ is not short of a bob or two and values his career more than the financial aspect .

I also firmly believe that every coach arrives at a moment where they want / need a fresh challenge.

If LJ feels that he can’t take us any further and is offered a position where he can achieve greater things then he will leave.

I think this summer is pivotal for him and the club. 

11 hours ago, Allwaysred said:

We'll agree to disagree.........beacause LJ is going nowhere for at the very least, two seasons.

Unless we are promoted next season, I've got a hunch that Lee will look to leave next summer.  His stock is rising quickly enough to warrant leaving City for the next challenge, if we remain in the same sort of league position in 12 months time.

Clearly, all sorts of things could change to alter this, but it seems likely -  LJ has often said how ambitious he is as a manager.

6 minutes ago, maxjak said:

We'll agree to disagree.........beacause LJ is going nowhere for at the very least two seasons.

Why do you feel he will definitely stay here for at least another two seasons?

On 06/05/2019 at 08:53, HitchinRed said:

SL has shown enormous loyalty to LJ. It’s now time that LJ reciprocated.

In any event, I really can’t see a top half premiership team coming for him. Therefore, to get his chance in the holy land, he’s going to have to settle for a struggling bottom half team. 

And as a number of our ex-players have found, the grass is not always greener (although the pay chèque will undoubtedly be better if that’s his true motivation).

It simply doesn't work that way.

LJ is highly ambitious and does not lack belief in his own abilities - good for him, nothing wrong with that.

If he feels that HE needs and deserves to be backed to get to the PL, which I feel certain he does, and that is not forthcoming...........

If the owner is going to continue with the steady progression model, and that is his prerogative, there are risks in that for LJ's career path.

It is going to be a big summer either way.

Archived