Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

what are peoples opinions on the keeper situation. i think we need a new keeper for next season. i am not sure max is ready to be the no one. Fantastic young keeper who i think could do with having a season long loan.frank looks like he is leaving and nikki seens to have a few injuries. only my opinion.

Needed one last year and still do now, we also still need the so called ‘leaders’ that were talked about last year right through the spine, Kalas being a good start.

Mäenpää and MoL will be the 1 and 2 but squad cover will be needed so LJ will have another keeper on his summer shopping list.

I know he’s been injured but what’s  the situation is with FF? .

• Like 1

Well, we need a new one.

I hope the club are not afraid to spend big to get the best. It's the one position you can't gamble with, across the 3 goalkeepers this season we've done okay but I think the partnership of Kalas and Webster has taken the pressure off a lot more and made us far less 'leaky' at the back.

I agree with HR.  Max could do with a season long league 1 loan where he can prove himself and develop.  Nikki seems a little injury prone but may just have been unlucky, I’m sure Frankie will be off so for me we still need a new quality first choice keeper with Nikki providing cover.

1 hour ago, General Zod said:

I agree with HR.  Max could do with a season long league 1 loan where he can prove himself and develop.  Nikki seems a little injury prone but may just have been unlucky, I’m sure Frankie will be off so for me we still need a new quality first choice keeper with Nikki providing cover.

There has been  paper talk suggesting that we might be in for Steffen on a loan from Man City.

I agree with your post , Maenpaa is a top quality keeper IF he’s not hamstrung by injuries. I’m sure the medical team will give their verdict on the possible availability of the player next season.

I actually feel that it was his injury that caused us to drop the necessary four points which put the kaybosh on our play off hopes .

Max is a very promising young keeper but doesn’t, as yet , have the presence that NM gives to the position.

Credit to the lad for his professionalism however I would also like to see him loaned out to another club for the forthcoming season.

I think Frankie’s time is over at the club . A good Championship keeper and a top bloke but injuries and age count against him when there are better keepers available.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

There has been  paper talk suggesting that we might be in for Steffen on a loan from Man City.

I agree with your post , Maenpaa is a top quality keeper IF he’s not hamstrung by injuries. I’m sure the medical team will give their verdict on the possible availability of the player next season.

I actually feel that it was his injury that caused us to drop the necessary four points which put the kaybosh on our play off hopes .

Max is a very promising young keeper but doesn’t, as yet , have the presence that NM gives to the position.

Credit to the lad for his professionalism however I would also like to see him loaned out to another club for the forthcoming season.

I think Frankie’s time is over at the club . A good Championship keeper and a top bloke but injuries and age count against him when there are better keepers available.

I suspect Steffen is a strong possibility and that Frankie may go to Blackburn.

If he does, it's a shame we didn't get the chance to say goodbye and thanks to him. He has done us proud on and off the pitch 

• Like 3

Simple answer really. We need a top class keeper who will be available more regularly than Maenpaa. Max is too lightweight in certain departments and could do with a seasons loan to toughen up and sort out a few things in his game. We can't risk relying on someone who's good but, prone to mistakes, if we're going to step up, which appears to be the plan.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Simple answer really. We need a top class keeper who will be available more regularly than Maenpaa. Max is too lightweight in certain departments and could do with a seasons loan to toughen up and sort out a few things in his game. We can't risk relying on someone who's good but, prone to mistakes, if we're going to step up, which appears to be the plan.

Exactly this, trigger Niki's contract extension, get someone like Steffen in on loan to compete with him and send Max on loan to league 1 for a year. 

Most years two gets you over the line. This season was nowhere near enough.

NM is class but the fact he fell apart over the long season makes me think he is best served as the second option. 

Max needs a league loan still. Would do him so much good. Maybe even two seasons on loan. Good thing is, should be easier finding him a loan now he has 10 or so champ appearances. 

I think we should resign/extend Maenpaa for the upcoming season. Get a starter in(Steffan would work on loan). Get the best u23 keeper around the first team as third choice. 

Maenpaa is a class act but the injuries casts some doubt on him.

Even so, he is one of the best keepers I've seen for us and should be given a new contract imo.

Frankie is also a good keeper and should be kept on as backup.

Max out on loan to L1 for the season.