IGNORED

Ashton should take note...

old_eastender

17 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Lots of similarities with what we're trying to achieve on a relatively limited player budget. This made me laugh:

"We've not taken too much notice, but all I hear about is Frank Lampard's Derby, Leeds United - because it's Leeds United - Aston Villa and Chris Wilder's Sheffield United, because of the amazing job that he's done there," Webber said.

Good to know that others have similar views to many expressed here ?

We just need to find a Pukki.

15 minutes ago, Xiled said:

Lots of similarities with what we're trying to achieve on a relatively limited player budget. This made me laugh:

Good to know that others have similar views to many expressed here ?

We just need to find a Pukki.

Thing is, when fans from clubs like ours moan about it we are called 'jealous' or 'bitter'

It really is cringe how far up the asses of Derby / Aston Villa these pundits and ex-pro's go.  I always used to take it with a pinch of salt when people would say the refs favored these bigger clubs to.....and never used to pay much attention to it.  Again, I myself would actually put it down to sour grapes.  Then after that penalty decision vs Villa, Derby's shocking penalty vs QPR, then the referee's shocking performance in Derby's game vs us....you cant help but believe that these ref's, maybe subconsciously, favour these clubs.  You see them on the pitch nattering away and joking with the ex-prem players!

Lets not forget another dubious Derby decision vs West Brom yesterday to give them a penalty

I cant wait to see what these morons do in the play-offs.  Imagine a Derby v Villa final.....the ref will literally implode as he wont know what to do

17 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Thing is, when fans from clubs like ours moan about it we are called 'jealous' or 'bitter'

It really is cringe how far up the asses of Derby / Aston Villa these pundits and ex-pro's go.  I always used to take it with a pinch of salt when people would say the refs favored these bigger clubs to.....and never used to pay much attention to it.  Again, I myself would actually put it down to sour grapes.  Then after that penalty decision vs Villa, Derby's shocking penalty vs QPR, then the referee's shocking performance in Derby's game vs us....you cant help but believe that these ref's, maybe subconsciously, favour these clubs.  You see them on the pitch nattering away and joking with the ex-prem players!

Lets not forget another dubious Derby decision vs West Brom yesterday to give them a penalty

I cant wait to see what these morons do in the play-offs.  Imagine a Derby v Villa final.....the ref will literally implode as he wont know what to do

The really good news is...........two or even three of FLDC, Leeds and Villa  will end up feeling suicidal come end of the play-offs !:clap:

50 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

The really good news is...........two or even three of FLDC, Leeds and Villa  will end up feeling suicidal come end of the play-offs !:clap:

I hope WBA or Leeds go up, I want to see what happens with the other 2 "giants" and FFP/EFL .

11 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I hope WBA or Leeds go up, I want to see what happens with the other 2 "giants" and FFP/EFL .

I hope it's WBA that go up. Can't stand how Villa have been since their relegation (and as you say it would be funny to see what happens with FFP) and after watching Leeds at Ashton Gate a few weeks ago, I've nothing but contempt for their time-wasting and injury feigning.

3 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

So when title it 

Ashton should take note..

What do you mean? well done you are going about it the right way, as I would say we are very similar

Similar aspirations but poorer execution I'd say... Examples 1.8m on a RB who cant defend 1 on 1 against any winger with a bit of pace (Hunt) . 1.5m on a striker virtually never played (Eisa). 1m on a midfield flank player when we have at least 4 better players (Watkins). Very limited chances given to Walsh and Morrell, despite poor form from Pack. 

34 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Similar aspirations but poorer execution I'd say... 

You could have said that a season ago about Norwich or the past few seasons. They built things up and it didn’t have overnight. 

We have the strategy right - just need to keep improving. 

Imo we need a Head Scout that knows players very well in the European leagues. Back in January we were still interviewing for this post.

It's something we lack and we are missing out imo, as there is value for money abroad.

Unfortunately we've got stung in the past with the likes of Engval and Diony...both not right for us DNA wise.

Wolves, Huddersfield and now Norwich have all done extremely well from employing that knowledge in different ways. Brentford similarly who imo have underachieved for two seasons.

I'd love to see a Knowledgeable Director of football at City.

Our set up is thus...

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-transfers-scouts-team-1503989

46 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Similar aspirations but poorer execution I'd say... Examples 1.8m on a RB who cant defend 1 on 1 against any winger with a bit of pace (Hunt) . 1.5m on a striker virtually never played (Eisa). 1m on a midfield flank player when we have at least 4 better players (Watkins). Very limited chances given to Walsh and Morrell, despite poor form from Pack. 

So you think Norwich have not got any players that they spent money but have not worked out and they have got full value from every player in there squad?

Eisa whilst not young is still raw has a great scoring record, bit early to write off

Walsh got injured, so without injury may have played more,

Morrell is still young and LJ who sees in training has decided not ready or better than Pack

Watkins also got injured, dont think much him,  but LJ knew him from previous and brought in to do a job but not lived up to expectations

But with hindsight its easy to knock any decision the club makes and I am sure they will review and decide who goes or stays. Unfortunately you have to buy players based upon who is available, who you can afford, whos wage demands fits your policy, who wants to come here, who is also not being courted by another club with deeper pockets and then with your research appears to have the right DNA and a good fit.  

With hindsight I am sure Ashton and LJ could pick a fantastic squad and will I could also pick last weeks lottery numbers

Funny this topic was posted as I have attended a very successful day at Bath races this afternoon with the family and bumpt into a few people connected with BCFC on different levels and I have to say after feeling mixed emotions yesterday of what might have been I have left the race course with pure excitement and if true we should all be very excited for this summer as I reckon it will be the biggest in the clubs history and maybe just maybe what we've all been waiting for..... COYR 

11 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

Funny this topic was posted as I have attended a very successful day at Bath races this afternoon with the family and bumpt into a few people connected with BCFC on different levels and I have to say after feeling mixed emotions yesterday of what might have been I have left the race course with pure excitement and if true we should all be very excited for this summer as I reckon it will be the biggest in the clubs history and maybe just maybe what we've all been waiting for..... COYR 

So what have you heard today?

38 minutes ago, spudski said:

Imo we need a Head Scout that knows players very well in the European leagues. Back in January we were still interviewing for this post.

It's something we lack and we are missing out imo, as there is value for money abroad.

Unfortunately we've got stung in the past with the likes of Engval and Diony...both not right for us DNA wise.

Wolves, Huddersfield and now Norwich have all done extremely well from employing that knowledge in different ways. Brentford similarly who imo have underachieved for two seasons.

I'd love to see a Knowledgeable Director of football at City.

Our set up is thus...

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-transfers-scouts-team-1503989

From memory Mathieu Louis Jean...played a part in Kodjia transfer?

Still not yet replaced. Think Mervyn Day oversees the whole shebang, but with respect what does he know of the European Leagues.

Maupay- now very prolific and a great all-round striker- cost Brentford a mere £1.6m. Why weren't we in for him- we can't afford him now at this level but why was he not on our radar in 2017?

Saw a good scouting report about him from a few months before he joined Brentford on another page. It's all there...

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/01/31/scout-report-neal-maupay-saint-etiennes-pacey-forward/

The poster likely isn't going to reveal it..

At best, we'll get some indicators but nothing specific I wouldn't have thought.

If it's a spending spree can it be more like Wolves 2016 and 2017 summer and not Aston Villa summer 2016, Derby summer 2015 or Sheffield Wednesday Jan and Summer 2017?

Thanks.

I posted after the Reading game after a few discussions with old faces in the fan zone regarding our scouting set up and personnel and Brentford was the club highlighted. Today shed a lot of light on how we have and are continuing to improve our scouting policies and more importantly it looks like we are now in a position to up our wage structure within reason to bring in players needed. As a season ticket holder like many on here hold tight as special things are around the corner.

4 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

I posted after the Reading game after a few discussions with old faces in the fan zone regarding our scouting set up and personnel and Brentford was the club highlighted. Today shed a lot of light on how we have and are continuing to improve our scouting policies and more importantly it looks like we are now in a position to up our wage structure within reason to bring in players needed. As a season ticket holder like many on here hold tight as special things are around the corner.

Hopefully we will have lined up a much needed International head scout...or even Director of football.

9 hours ago, Xiled said:

I hope it's WBA that go up. Can't stand how Villa have been since their relegation (and as you say it would be funny to see what happens with FFP) and after watching Leeds at Ashton Gate a few weeks ago, I've nothing but contempt for their time-wasting and injury feigning.

Not saying you’re wrong - but there seems to be posts on here after every home game accusing the away team of time-wasting and feigning injury ..... so they all do it?! 

48 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not saying you’re wrong - but there seems to be posts on here after every home game accusing the away team of time-wasting and feigning injury ..... so they all do it?! 

Not all of them!

I thought Preston and QPR were extremely cynical. Play acting and clutching their heads when they fell to the ground (the referee inevitably had to keep stopping the game). By contrast, I thought Wigan were an honest side that kept looking for a second goal when it would have been easier to start all the tedious stuff after half-time.

But Leeds were far and away the worst I saw this season. With the talent they have and the dominance of their first half display, they could have played us out of the game for 90 minutes. We improved in the second half but they used every trick in the book to spoil the game and use up time.

I know that there's always been time-wasting and I've no problem with a player taking a ball to the corner flag but some of Leeds' tactics were cheating. The game should be about entertainment and I've got no time for a team that gets results by destroying gameplay.

37 minutes ago, Xiled said:

Not all of them!

I thought Preston and QPR were extremely cynical. Play acting and clutching their heads when they fell to the ground (the referee inevitably had to keep stopping the game). By contrast, I thought Wigan were an honest side that kept looking for a second goal when it would have been easier to start all the tedious stuff after half-time.

But Leeds were far and away the worst I saw this season. With the talent they have and the dominance of their first half display, they could have played us out of the game for 90 minutes. We improved in the second half but they used every trick in the book to spoil the game and use up time.

I know that there's always been time-wasting and I've no problem with a player taking a ball to the corner flag but some of Leeds' tactics were cheating. The game should be about entertainment and I've got no time for a team that gets results by destroying gameplay.

Cheers for the reply - our chaps need to be more streetwise in some aspects of the game that would get us an advantage - we’ve been naive in some areas for some time ...

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Cheers for the reply - our chaps need to be more streetwise in some aspects of the game that would get us an advantage - we’ve been naive in some areas for some time ...

Looking at the stats thread we don't really give ourselves chance to be streetwise. You can't really be streetwise with nothing to lose.

Watching a few away games I think we give ourselves more opportunity to do this away than at home, which unsurprisingly matches our form.

Archived