IGNORED

SIGNED: Sammie Szmodics

BessexRED

Not a really inspiring signing, think we need to be signing proven championship players to be in with a chance of automatic promotion. That being said, if he doesn't cost too much and we can take a punt (taken too many of those in the past few years) then why not I guess, just dont want us to piss the Kelly money away and not sign JDS and Kalas

2 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

Not a really inspiring signing, think we need to be signing proven championship players to be in with a chance of automatic promotion. That being said, if he doesn't cost too much and we can take a punt (taken too many of those in the past few years) then why not I guess, just dont want us to piss the Kelly money away and not sign JDS and Kalas

I don't think we are going to have to pay £13m in compensation for an out of contract player fortunately.

6 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

yeah but its wages that are going on a player that we could be saving for a bigger striker, but I see your point

He's not going to break the bank on wages either.

From what I have heard about him he could well be a Bobby Reid type player. He will need to get to Championship fitness levels though.

17 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

i like the idea of getting the best players from the lower leagues but we have to remember we are in a very tough league and a couple of quality championship proven players is a must for me. 

They are out there though if your scouting`s up to it. Ollie Watkins, Bradley Dack, Sam Clucas, Jarred Bowen and no doubt many others. Many of them players the club knew about and watched for a long time but didn`t actively pursue (with the exception of Dack who didn`t want to come).

Other clubs seem to be able to unearth these gems, why can`t we? Are we too risk averse?

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Hunt, Baker, Weimann all proven championship players and certainly not our best players.

Indeed, and how long have we all been whinging that we have been sat watching lower league players and watching them go to other clubs and pass us by. We should have bought Ollie Watkins ages ago for bugger all, if we wanted him now we'd have to be paying out 8-10 million quid. 

If we want the clout to sign proven championship players we need to be generating large profits on players that we pick up cheap. 

47 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

They are out there though if your scouting`s up to it. Ollie Watkins, Bradley Dack, Sam Clucas, Jarred Bowen and no doubt many others. Many of them players the club knew about and watched for a long time but didn`t actively pursue (with the exception of Dack who didn`t want to come).

Other clubs seem to be able to unearth these gems, why can`t we? Are we too risk averse?

I thought that part of the problem was that he did exactly that....

27 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

Indeed, and how long have we all been whinging that we have been sat watching lower league players and watching them go to other clubs and pass us by. We should have bought Ollie Watkins ages ago for bugger all, if we wanted him now we'd have to be paying out 8-10 million quid. 

If we want the clout to sign proven championship players we need to be generating large profits on players that we pick up cheap. 

I would have liked Watkins too but LJ reckons they considerably increased what they wanted for him when we asked. I believe he went to Brentford for something like £1.8m. Imagine the uproar on here if we had paid a lot more than that for a League 2 player.

11 hours ago, Judda said:

Spazmodics? Weren't they a Bristol punk band? Think I just about remember moshing at the fleece one night!

Remember seeing them at Ashton Court, probably late 80s? Plenty of energy back then but way pay past their best now, definitely not what our squad needs.

It's a no from me. 

16 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I would have liked Watkins too but LJ reckons they considerably increased what they wanted for him when we asked. I believe he went to Brentford for something like £1.8m. Imagine the uproar on here if we had paid a lot more than that for a League 2 player.

Thats kind of my point By then it was too late, he had been on our radar for years before that, we are doing now what we should have done then, pick them up before they cost large sums of money, it means we will certainly get more wrong, but for every 1 we get right we can get 5 or 6 wrong.

2 hours ago, paul_fox said:

If he's going to be cheap then no problem. A goal scoring midfielder is something we've been missing so if he can continue that then all good. Still need a couple of proven players to add some experience and leadership 

I don’t mind transfers like this or Adelakun for example. Young but experienced. Costing less than 750k and probably on 5k or less a week. These I can live with. I’d like less of the Eisa, Moore and Engvalls. Not writing off Eisa or Moore but the higher investment means more pressure. 

Go and get 1 OOC lower league player a season but don’t spin it when he signs like he is a high level player from the start. We need top investment in 2-3 starters for us to continue to progress on the pitch. 

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I don't think our quality of development of players we sign is all that consistent yet- some of it is good but some really is not.

Eisa and Adelakun- wasted a season of possible development. Now it maybe that they aren't good enough for us, but then loan them to a good League One side in January- at the least regular game time keeps their profile and value up.

Taylor Moore- I question. Bundesliga 2 club maybe would have been useful instead of Southend.

Even Ligue 2 given his time spent with Lens but Bundesliga 2 maybe a useful middle ground between lower Leagues here and Championship- closest of major 2nd tiers stylistically as well, probably stylistically- and again if not what we need, puts him in shop window for a wider audience.

OTOH those who come through our own academy- Kelly, Bryan, Reid and possibly we'll see on, Vyner. We develop them quite well it seems, but players we sign from elsewhere? More hit and miss for sure!

Eliasson though has progressed nicely, and Webster a revelation.

We can't get it all correct but I do question how well we can develop signings from lower Leagues...would Dack, Clucas, Watkins and Bowen have developed right here?

3 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Remember seeing them at Ashton Court, probably late 80s? Plenty of energy back then but way pay past their best now, definitely not what our squad needs.

It's a no from me. 

They'd still put fear into the opposition though!

On 18/05/2019 at 19:04, Red Right Hand said:

Possibly another Bradley Dack (without the unpleasant hotel room behaviour) that we won`t miss out on this time?

According to this RRH you are spot on: https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/hes-the-next-bradley-dack-bristol-city-edge-closer-to-sealing-transfer-agreement-opinion/

22 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

We edge closer and express interest and Bournemouth just go and sign the player they want. I really hope we get the players we are after early and don't delay and lose out.

The problem is that we probably have an A-list of first choice targets who will have the most options and take their time deciding. It maybe that names on our B-list and C-list could be easier to sign but then we give up on the main targets. It is a difficult balancing act at this time of year but I would prefer to wait for a top target if we have a chance. 

9 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

That's just a summary of the Mirror article from the weekend.

I see. Just confident of this one being genuine.

It’s the exact type of player I’d expect LJ to be interested in.

On 19/05/2019 at 12:58, Mr Popodopolous said:

OTOH those who come through our own academy- Kelly, Bryan, Reid and possibly we'll see on, Vyner. We develop them quite well it seems, but players we sign from elsewhere? More hit and miss for sure!

Isn't that the point tho. We have a model where we go for quite a number of players like this that are low risk financially so we can afford for it to be hit or miss. Go for 10 and if 2 or 3 come off then it wont have cost us too much.

The problem is some on here will focus on the failures and use it as evidence of bad recruitment but it isn't an art. We're gonna make mistakes just hopefully more cheap ones like Eisa or Walsh rather than expensive ones like Tomlin or Engvall.

Archived