IGNORED

SIGNED: Sammie Szmodics

BessexRED

Yes this signing could be different but for me  this signing is no different to Eisa and Adelukun - they’re going to take time to make the step up, if at all. 

I personally feel that LJ is holding out on his contract talks to make sure he’s getting the backing he wants. 

Got a feeling this lad will be a gem based on the local press guys in Colchester. Not only has he proved his ability at lower levels L1 & 2, his character is exactly what LJ looks for in players

They all reckon he’s ready to step up to Championship standard so let’s see if this transfer does become reality and LJ has unearthed a diamond

9 minutes ago, Saunders87 said:

Yes this signing could be different but for me  this signing is no different to Eisa and Adelukun - they’re going to take time to make the step up, if at all. 

I personally feel that LJ is holding out on his contract talks to make sure he’s getting the backing he wants. 

This signing would cast a bit of a cloud under Paterson as well, as they seem quite similar players.

I would be more than happy to get another 4-5 quality loan players from the prem clubs this season. It's worked in the past (Huddersfield), and Derby has used it well this season as well.

Our three from Chelsea were some of the main drivers; for us getting close to the playoffs this season.

24 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Got a feeling this lad will be a gem based on the local press guys in Colchester. Not only has he proved his ability at lower levels L1 & 2, his character is exactly what LJ looks for in players

They all reckon he’s ready to step up to Championship standard so let’s see if this transfer does become reality and LJ has unearthed a diamond

I get the same feeling but LJ needs to use him if we sign him. Ok he sees people in training but they need to have a platform to train well. 

I’d like to see players like Szmodics(if he signs), Adelakun, Semenyo and Vyner on the bench rather than Watkins, Baker and Taylor. Cheaper and will be more keen to impress. Let them be your impact subs along with 1-2 starting XI types(Eliasson, Weimann, Wright). 

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I get the same feeling but LJ needs to use him if we sign him. Ok he sees people in training but they need to have a platform to train well. 

I’d like to see players like Szmodics(if he signs), Adelakun, Semenyo and Vyner on the bench rather than Watkins, Baker and Taylor. Cheaper and will be more keen to impress. Let them be your impact subs along with 1-2 starting XI types(Eliasson, Weimann, Wright). 

Szmodics could possibly step right in ahead of Paterson.

2 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

I've got a feeling this could be a real gem of a signing. 

Hope so, and obviously never seen him play, but im sure people were saying something similar after adelakun and eisa signings last year. If lj is saying anyone coming in has to be capable of playing premier league football, then the chances of colchester players being at that level wouldnt seem to be high

13 minutes ago, Keith Welch said:

A no brainer for free or even if we have to pay compensation. Need goals from midfield.

Not sure how anyone could complain about this - clearly a good footballer.

Looks a whole of a lot less raw than Eisa or Adelakun are or were.

It’s still league 2 - good footballer or not there is still an element of a risk. 

As you said for free then it makes sense to bring him in, I just hope that we aren’t putting all our eggs in one basket for this position.

25 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Szmodics could possibly step right in ahead of Paterson.

Paterson was pretty poor for most of last season. Judging on his performance against Ipswich at home my mother in law could step ahead of him!

22 minutes ago, mozo said:

Am I right in saying that he's had a couple of broken legs in recent seasons? If so, is it a worry?

Good news - he can't have more than a couple of broken legs!

11 hours ago, mozo said:

Am I right in saying that he's had a couple of broken legs in recent seasons? If so, is it a worry?

I broke my leg when I was 18.

It didn't affect me after I recovered and started playing again.

I was still crap!

2 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

Seen this from the Supporters Page. They’re usually pretty reliable.

Isn't he out of contract?

£750k sounds a lot of money to avoid a tribunal.

Paid a lot less for Adelenkun, who performed in a higher division.

I'm not saying he's not coming. Just that price doesn't seem right.

19 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

Isn't he out of contract?

£750k sounds a lot of money to avoid a tribunal.

Paid a lot less for Adelenkun, who performed in a higher division.

I'm not saying he's not coming. Just that price doesn't seem right.

Agree.  Sounds a strange comment, but hey-ho.  I like the look of him.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Agree.  Sounds a strange comment, but hey-ho.  I like the look of him.

He really does look quality doesn't he. Yes it's only the good bits. But it shows us what kind of player he is.

10 hours ago, TammyAB said:

Seen this from the Supporters Page. They’re usually pretty reliable.

Looks like Bobby Reid if Bobby could score from outside the box. 

RE: the cost, he's been at Colchester since he was a school boy, the compensation system places a value on that, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a fair bit. We may also be looking to pay more now to limit sell on fees to Colchester if we think he's going to be a good player at the higher level

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

He really does look quality doesn't he. Yes it's only the good bits. But it shows us what kind of player he is.

6 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Looks like Bobby Reid if Bobby could score from outside the box. 

RE: the cost, he's been at Colchester since he was a school boy, the compensation system places a value on that, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a fair bit. We may also be looking to pay more now to limit sell on fees to Colchester if we think he's going to be a good player at the higher level

He looks quick, he is also sturdier than I thought from the other videos. Good balance, gets his head up and thinks quickly. If that all translates to a higher level then he should be good competition for Patto and freshen up our midfield. 

Looking at that vid.

Yes, they only show the good bits and yes, it is against lower league opposition but it's obvious that he has very good technical ability and is quite pacy - he aint raw thats a fact. If the fee is under 1m it could be a good bit of business imo.

Archived