IGNORED

SIGNED: Sammie Szmodics

BessexRED

18 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Peterboro chairman airing his views on this lad not even meeting them. 

Suppose if he’s already spoken to us (?) then he might not see the point.  Like MacAnthony’s honesty (bit like Simon Jordan in that respect), but always tinged with a bit of self-bias.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

If we sign Szmodics then put him up top with Diedhiou. I imagine Diedhiou might score 1 in 2 again with a Bobby type up there with him.

Hopefully, Semenyo breaks through and we also get a striker in.

Szmodics behind two would be good.

3 hours ago, TammyAB said:

Fair play to him for not wasting DMac's time if he knows if doesn't want to sign. Can't have any complaints about that.

IIRC Dwight Gayle had no interest in discussing terms after we’d had an offer accepted. And I think the majority view wasn’t ‘fair play to him’, as shown by the reception he gets!

Szomodics looks a decent talent though, so could be good business picking him up relatively cheaply (unlike some of our other punts).

11 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

IIRC Dwight Gayle had no interest in discussing terms after we’d had an offer accepted. And I think the majority view wasn’t ‘fair play to him’, as shown by the reception he gets!

Szomodics looks a decent talent though, so could be good business picking him up relatively cheaply (unlike some of our other punts).

I'd say fair play to him. He probably pissed himself when he heard we had a bid accepted for him.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Hopefully, Semenyo breaks through and we also get a striker in.

Szmodics behind two would be good.

Yeah could be but I would like to see Eliasson playing most games and not sure how he'd fit in with Szmodics and 2 strikers in the side.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah could be but I would like to see Eliasson playing most games and not sure how he'd fit in with Szmodics and 2 strikers in the side.

I think that top striker will be elusive and we’ll go with a no10-type striker (or two) and for with a 4411 type set-up.

It got us to 5th in the league last season.

51 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Rumour he has gone to Hull  fact or fiction ? 

press talk we r in a three horse race to sign him and Hull in that race......   We have to be in better shape than Hull 

Our top 7 finish does show we are a better team and have manager who had been in charge a long time , however there is still the possiblity he wants to live up north or considers a better chance of getting into the first 11 of a less competitive Hull. 

1 hour ago, DT The Optimist said:

Rumour he has gone to Hull  fact or fiction ? 

press talk we r in a three horse race to sign him and Hull in that race......   We have to be in better shape than Hull City 

The same Hull who have no money which is why Adkins left?

Financially Hull (hopefully) could not compete with us and we have stability behind the scenes as well, where as Hull have an owner looking to sell, a new manager who will have his own ideas and a squad which is apparently too big and players need to be sold. 

If it was between us and Hull and no offence to Hull but there's surely only one choice. 

Grant McCann has been appointed over the weekend and will have a good knowledge of the EFL lower divisions.  Whether he had him on his watch-list at Doncaster and continued that in his first day or so at Hull, I’ve no idea...but he’s taken little time to assess his own squad.

Financially, you’d think we could blow them out of the water, but we will probably only pay what we think.  

22 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I agree we want both. Then Taylor out whilst he has some transfer value. 

See this as most viable. Szmodics seems to be able to play as a 10 and as a strike partner. We would then have Diedhiou, Semenyo, Weimann and Szmodics as striking options which doesn’t look like championship best but lots of potential. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/exclusive-bristol-city-see-late-3023787

Bristol City have made a breakthrough in the transfer market and have seen off several Championship rivals to land Colchester United attacking midfielder Sammie Szmodics.

According to our sources, the Robins are set to complete a deal for the 23-year-old soon and will pay a fee in the region of 750k.

Archived