IGNORED

SIGNED: Sammie Szmodics

BessexRED

Anyone concerned that we are signing another shorter player 5'6"?

In the past we've been bullied by the more physical teams and I would just like to see a little more muscle in the team to compliment the ability.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

In the past we've been bullied by the more physical teams and I would just like to see a little more muscle in the team to compliment the ability.

Old skool.

55 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Bizarre, I actually posted I just don't have the words to express how much I like this post!. Where the he'll did this come from?

You've never noticed this before chinapig? 

The moderators (admin?) are able to set auto-corrects. A series of z's autocorrects to I just don't have the words to express how much I like this post!. To combat a certain forum troll who frequently posted it. 

The autocorrect feature is also used for other things. Correcting tricky player names etc

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Your beginning to sound like Gordon strachan ?

Doesn’t seem to effect the likes of Spain 

1 minute ago, Chris_Brown said:

The moderators (admin?) are able to set auto-corrects. A series of z's autocorrects to I just don't have the words to express how much I like this post!. To combat a certain forum troll who frequently posted it. 

The autocorrect feature is also used for other things. Correcting tricky player names etc

You learn something new every day, thanks.

17 minutes ago, Rich said:

Yes. Concerned. Have been for a number of seasons.

Power, pace, skill, stamina the key attributes of the modern game ( across many sports - we only need to look at the rugby).

Outstanding talents can be the exception to the rule. Have to be consistent though. Bobby and Joe, to a  lesser is extent, prove the point. They got the extra power via that A-B training club during the close season. 

Dasilva may be such a talent. Don’t know enough about this guy but highlights look impressive. 

20 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

The ‘troll’ doesn’t need to use zeds any longer since we’ve had the rather excellent emojis................:laughcont:

44 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Old skool.

Basic physics. Would you rather a good big un or good little un? I predict Da Silva will be targeted by teams with a long ball to the back post, as was done numerous times last season. I agree that a smaller player is not really a weakness but. if you have a team with numerous smaller players, such as Da Silva, Szmodics, Patterson, Elliason,  then you might lose a physical battle, even our big bloke up front isn't big. Many people have spoken about being done by the more physical teams in the past but, the so called bigger teams have also proven to be bigger in the physical sense, and done us as well.

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Basic physics. Would you rather a good big un or good little un? I predict Da Silva will be targeted by teams with a long ball to the back post, as was done numerous times last season. I agree that a smaller player is not really a weakness but. if you have a team with numerous smaller players, such as Da Silva, Szmodics, Patterson, Elliason,  then you might lose a physical battle, even our big bloke up front isn't big. Many people have spoken about being done by the more physical teams in the past but, the so called bigger teams have also proven to be bigger in the physical sense, and done us as well.

I'll give you Patterson as he is a bit of a weed.

The rest you mention, no. They are more than capable of making a "big un" look stupid.

Bottom line - If you are good enough, you are big enough.

10 minutes ago, Rich said:

One of my concerns has often been that LJ seems to worry more about countering the oppositions strengths and minimising or compensating for our weaknesses in his selections and tactics, rather than focussing on our strengths and playing to them.

While having a smaller player like Dasilva would allow the opposition to target him, as you suggest, I would much rather think about the assets he brings to the team and hope that we will make the most of them and give the opposition something to worry about.

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I'll give you Patterson as he is a bit of a weed.

The rest you mention, no. They are more than capable of making a "big un" look stupid.

Bottom line - If you are good enough, you are big enough.

Of course they can make a big un look stupid, especially with skill, football aint like that though is it? If it were, players such as Elliason would do it all the time, the reason they don't is that they come up against people of similar ability who are bigger, stronger, faster, who get the better of them. Seen it so many times and it won't change.

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

One of my concerns has often been that LJ seems to worry more about countering the oppositions strengths and minimising or compensating for our weaknesses in his selections and tactics, rather than focussing on our strengths and playing to them.

While having a smaller player like Dasilva would allow the opposition to target him, as you suggest, I would much rather think about the assets he brings to the team and hope that we will make the most of them and give the opposition something to worry about.

Would one of those assets also be, being able to defend at the far post in an airial challenge?

Of course they can make a big un look stupid, especially with skill, football aint like that though is it? If it were, players such as Elliason would do it all the time, the reason they don't is that they come up against people of similar ability who are bigger, stronger, faster, who get the better of them. Seen it so many times and it won't change.

If players like Eliasson were to do it all the time he would be playing for Real Madrid.

He is coming up against good players simple as that. Doesn't matter how big they are, it matters how good they are.

If teams want to target Dasilva in the air, fair enough, but Dasilva very rarely gets caught out by that dinosaur tactic and any side that employs it has probably lost the tactical battle anyway if thats the best they can come up with - 1970s stuff.

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

If players like Eliasson were to do it all the time he would be playing for Real Madrid.

He is coming up against good players simple as that. Doesn't matter how big they are, it matters how good they are.

If teams want to target Dasilva in the air, fair enough, but Dasilva very rarely gets caught out by that dinosaur tactic and any side that employs it has probably lost the tactical battle anyway if thats the best they can come up with - 1970s stuff.

If Elliason was bigger, he might have the impact a bigger player has, such as Ronaldo, who is the prime example of someone using and improving his physical ability to enhance his technical ability.  Bobby improved when he increased his physical ability. So it isn't just about ability. Leeds did us like that, are they using dinosaur tactics? If you honestly believe that it's only about how good you are then there's no point continuing.

If Elliason was bigger, he might have the impact a bigger player has, such as Ronaldo, who is the prime example of someone using and improving his physical ability to enhance his technical ability.  Bobby improved when he increased his physical ability. So it isn't just about ability. Leeds did us like that, are they using dinosaur tactics? If you honestly believe that it's only about how good you are then there's no point continuing.

Agreed.

I'm out.

9 hours ago, Rich said:

How many times?

They May have targeted him but I can’t really remember a time when that tactic worked. 

Wolves was not long diag to back post, but sprayed wide. 

Both Millwall goals were from nod downs from Morison, yet Kelly played those games...he hasn’t learned to use his body as effectively as Jay.  

42 minutes ago, Lez said:

Assuming this will be announced on July 1st due to contract ?

Yep think your correct.

From CUFC forum earlier this  month:

I bumped into Sammie last week and I asked about his future 

He said a move was 99.9% completed but cannot be confirmed until 01 July 2019 unless agreed with CUFC as still contracted with us until 30 June 2019 

He said it was a step up in level - no clues given to which team. I just hope it is not the Shit 18 miles north of Colchester.

Archived