IGNORED

SIGNED: Sammie Szmodics

BessexRED

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 07:39, Davefevs said:

How many times?

They May have targeted him but I can’t really remember a time when that tactic worked. 

Wolves was not long diag to back post, but sprayed wide. 

Both Millwall goals were from nod downs from Morison, yet Kelly played those games...he hasn’t learned to use his body as effectively as Jay.  

Sorry for late reply, you caught me away again. In answer, numerous as in more than a few times. It happened against Leeds at least a few times in the first half alone, one where they scored. I think in the 2nd half we stopped the supply and went on the offensive more but, that was dinosaur tactics according to the skool speller, implying nobody would use those tactics, Yeh! I can't for the life of me remember the exact games and the number of times exactly, I do know that several people commented in post match discussions about it and more recently after his permanent signing. I may be over sixty and described as "old school" Sorry skool, by some on here  but, I know what I've seen and what preceded it and whether I think it might happen again. I would say that it will, hopefully as I said before, we have a keeper to deal with it.

On 29/06/2019 at 19:28, Rudolf Hucker said:

I just have a feeling that Szmodics may turn out to be our most exciting, game changing signing in this window. 

With you Rudolf, this one just seems to have a good feel about it, can't wait to see his progress under LJ.

13 hours ago, Rich said:

Sorry for late reply, you caught me away again. In answer, numerous as in more than a few times. It happened against Leeds at least a few times in the first half alone, one where they scored. I think in the 2nd half we stopped the supply and went on the offensive more but, that was dinosaur tactics according to the skool speller, implying nobody would use those tactics, Yeh! I can't for the life of me remember the exact games and the number of times exactly, I do know that several people commented in post match discussions about it and more recently after his permanent signing. I may be over sixty and described as "old school" Sorry skool, by some on here  but, I know what I've seen and what preceded it and whether I think it might happen again. I would say that it will, hopefully as I said before, we have a keeper to deal with it.

Yeah, that’s fine rich.  I just don’t recall the tactic working very often.  I probably define that as every time they get an opportunity they ping a diagonal against our left back and they win the aerial battle. I just think sides realised it wasn’t a tactic that had much success.  Webster and Dasilva work really well together in Webster playing slightly closer to his LB when it’s Dasilva and less so when it’s Kelly.

Leeds goal was bloody Semenyo switching off and losing Ayling...but I’m sure you’re right that there were occasions when teams employed it more often than if it was Kelly.

FWIW, I don’t see his shirt stature being an issue, I've seen much taller players be worse aerially than Jay, and I’ll take his other technical abilities as a massive plus.

Always good to have your perspective though Rich.  We all see the game different. ??

2 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Exactly. And I suppose that Harry Potter was a Wiard? FFS. Bring back the Z. Bloody Smodics.

There’s ero chance of that happening.

My first look at him last night and I have to say he looks an absolutely cracking buy.  If I was to compare him to another player I'd have to say he's like Pato when he's bang on form.....on steroids!  Excited to see what he brings to the team in the league this season.

3 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

My first look at him last night and I have to say he looks an absolutely cracking buy.  If I was to compare him to another player I'd have to say he's like Pato when he's bang on form.....on steroids!  Excited to see what he brings to the team in the league this season.

A lot of people said he was the best player last night. Looking forward to seeing him.

39 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Szmodics was getting rave reviews in L2 and several Championship clubs showed interest in him but were possibly concerned that he might not be able to make the step up in quality. City have taken a punt on him but LJ is good assessor of a player and will no doubt has confidence that Szmodics has the ability play in the Championship

Its good to read reports saying how good he’s looked but in these preseason games against modest opposition aren’t  really an accurate gauge of his true potential. We won’t know just how useful he’ll be until  the serious stuff starts.

A steal at £750,000..............The fact that Peterboro were in for him,( Whose scouting system seems to be always on the money...Gayle, Assambalonga, Marriot etc} with their extraordinary record of picking up cheap and selling very high, indicates that we have a bargain.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Szmodics was getting rave reviews in L2 and several Championship clubs showed interest in him but were possibly concerned that he might not be able to make the step up in quality. City have taken a punt on him but LJ is good assessor of a player and will no doubt has confidence that Szmodics has the ability play in the Championship

Its good to read reports saying how good he’s looked but in these preseason games against modest opposition aren’t  really an accurate gauge of his true potential. We won’t know just how useful he’ll be until  the serious stuff starts.

Absolutely...  Due to the opposition you can only really get a feel for the style of player he is.  I really do think we've picked up a real star in the making, but like you say, when the real stuff starts we can get a better idea of what we have.

1 hour ago, TMWANG50 said:

Funny how people see the game differently. I was sat up in the home stand and thought he was very average last night and didn't do enough to support Andi. He took his goal well to be fair but has to do a lot more for me.

It is strange how we see it differently.... In truth you could ask 100 people for their assessment and probably get at least 20 different responses.  In the second half in particular he was coming out wide looking to pick up the ball from the ineffective O'Dowda and was always making himself available for the ball.  Overlapped quite nicely too.

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

A steal at £750,000..............The fact that Peterboro were in for him,( Whose scouting system seems to be always on the money...Gayle, Assambalonga, Marriot etc} with their extraordinary record of picking up cheap and selling very high, indicates that we have a bargain.

Indeed.  Why don't we just lure their scouts away with better contracts?

Funny how people see the game differently. I was sat up in the home stand and thought he was very average last night and didn't do enough to support Andi. He took his goal well to be fair but has to do a lot more for me.

My view as well. Very call finish by him. Will be a close call between him and Patto for a start on Saturday.

Liked his post-match interview....

....basically admitted he was trying to get too involved and therefore got out of position.

Great that a player sees a problem (or is told by coaches) and reacts and sorts it out.

You can tell he is delighted to be here, and us desperate to do well.  That is a good combination.

Still a big step-up, and we need to be careful not to expect him to be at the level every game, but I am genuinely excited to see him play live...which won’t be until the QPR game (holidays first).

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

....basically admitted he was trying to get too involved and therefore got out of position.

Great that a player sees a problem (or is told by coaches) and reacts and sorts it out.

You can tell he is delighted to be here, and us desperate to do well.  That is a good combination.

Still a big step-up, and we need to be careful not to expect him to be at the level every game, but I am genuinely excited to see him play live...which won’t be until the QPR game (holidays first).

I spotted this as well - I liked the fact he recognised it and didn’t mention it was a pre season friendly as an excuse .. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Nailed 

:thumbsup:

hunger , hunger , hunger ........ priceless

Archived