IGNORED

SIGNED: Jay Dasilva

Davefevs

59 minutes ago, mozo said:

I just hope our attempts to sign the loanees are quick. We don't need them dragging on through the summer.

If I was one of the loanees I would be waiting to see what offers come in before making any commitment. It’s what makes the transfer window so difficult. I would suspect that we’ve already prepared contracts so not much more we can do. It’s down to the players now. 

10 hours ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Brian tinnion confirmed on twitter 2 months ago its all agreed providing city want to pull the trigger

So did Mark Ashton.

Unfortunately this account is a fake one ran by a Leeds fan. If Da Silva wants to sign he's ours I think, Kalas is the one that worries me. Palmer doesn't look likely given his post yesterday, though didn't Tomlin do similar?

12 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

So did Mark Ashton.

Unfortunately this account is a fake one ran by a Leeds fan. If Da Silva wants to sign he's ours I think, Kalas is the one that worries me. Palmer doesn't look likely given his post yesterday, though didn't Tomlin do similar?

Would you take someone like Ajayi if Kalas is a non-runner?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Would you take someone like Ajayi if Kalas is a non-runner?

I've personal different avenues I'd go to first than Ajayi, in particular Matt Clarke, but I think Ajayi is a good shout. People assume he wouldn't fit our style because he's a big black lump to put it frankly, but he's very good on the ball and can do a stellar job in midfield as well as you know.

Personally I'm keen on getting Vyner in and around the first team, but at centre half. I watched him three times for Plymouth last season, once in the flesh, and he was head and shoulders above anything else on the pitch. He carried the ball well, was picking some fantastic passes and looked like a complete rolls royce. Admittedly, he wasn't playing against the likes of Sharp, Abraham, Adams etc that you'll find in this division but I think given a chance he'd adjust to it. Him and Webster would be an incredibly modern pairing.

15 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

I've personal different avenues I'd go to first than Ajayi, in particular Matt Clarke, but I think Ajayi is a good shout. People assume he wouldn't fit our style because he's a big black lump to put it frankly, but he's very good on the ball and can do a stellar job in midfield as well as you know.

Personally I'm keen on getting Vyner in and around the first team, but at centre half. I watched him three times for Plymouth last season, once in the flesh, and he was head and shoulders above anything else on the pitch. He carried the ball well, was picking some fantastic passes and looked like a complete rolls royce. Admittedly, he wasn't playing against the likes of Sharp, Abraham, Adams etc that you'll find in this division but I think given a chance he'd adjust to it. Him and Webster would be an incredibly modern pairing.

Interesting insight.....from what I can gather he has struggled at Rotherham this season. All be it at right back which isn't his position going forward 

4 minutes ago, Lez said:

Interesting insight.....from what I can gather he has struggled at Rotherham this season. All be it at right back which isn't his position going forward 

I never thought he looked any good at right back for us either mate. I didn't go to the MK Dons game when he was thrown in for his debut, but the game after Brighton knew all about him and I doubt Jamie Murphy has ever had a night where he's profited so easily from his opposite number in his career, he knew exactly how to get at him. I think he will have a really good career at CB, I know fans like to go overboard but if you read Plymouth's forum when there were a few hoping of signing him they seemed to think even we'd struggle to keep him in the long run.

https://www.pasoti.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=102977 - have a read if you get a moment.

6 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

I never thought he looked any good at right back for us either mate. I didn't go to the MK Dons game when he was thrown in for his debut, but the game after Brighton knew all about him and I doubt Jamie Murphy has ever had a night where he's profited so easily from his opposite number in his career, he knew exactly how to get at him. I think he will have a really good career at CB, I know fans like to go overboard but if you read Plymouth's forum when there were a few hoping of signing him they seemed to think even we'd struggle to keep him in the long run.

https://www.pasoti.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=102977 - have a read if you get a moment.

I appreciate this and it is good to see..however fast forward a year and I doubt Rotherham forum will be as glowing.

Either way I am unconvinced he is someone who will or should get a look in next season.....especially with us looking to push for playoffs. 

I would consider another championship loan ideally to a side looking to use him as a cb

12 minutes ago, Lez said:

I appreciate this and it is good to see..however fast forward a year and I doubt Rotherham forum will be as glowing.

Either way I am unconvinced he is someone who will or should get a look in next season.....especially with us looking to push for playoffs. 

I would consider another championship loan ideally to a side looking to use him as a cb

For sure. The problem is I don't think you'll find many Championship clubs willing to take him on for a season with no view to a permanent move. When we got promoted to this division back in 2015, would you have taken one of Brentford's (finished 6th 14/15) youth CBs to progress for them with no view to a permanent if we wanted to do so?

I think the only way we'll really find out is by chucking him in ourselves. I hope we give him the chance here to do so, I'm sure we will, but if not it could be that we look back on him as one of those that "got away".

51 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

I’ve really not seen anything of Clarke, but he appears to have got a lot of plaudits.  Is he a ball winner, or a footballer, or a bit of both?  Guess, if he is who we are looking at, we want Portsmouth to mess up in the play-offs!

Re ZV....a year ago, I would have had little doubt that Taylor Moore would gave a better chance of breaking through, but I think ZV’s games at Rotherham, despite being at RB, might have been good for him.  He needs to develop physically over the next 12 months.  He is 22 next Tuesday, and has this season to ready himself to really push for a place next season.  Whatever games he gets in 19/20 (if not loaned again) will be good for him.  That little bit of versatility might not be a bad thing, and might make him an option as RCB in a 3 when needed.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve really not seen anything of Clarke, but he appears to have got a lot of plaudits.  Is he a ball winner, or a footballer, or a bit of both?  Guess, if he is who we are looking at, we want Portsmouth to mess up in the play-offs!

Re ZV....a year ago, I would have had little doubt that Taylor Moore would gave a better chance of breaking through, but I think ZV’s games at Rotherham, despite being at RB, might have been good for him.  He needs to develop physically over the next 12 months.  He is 22 next Tuesday, and has this season to ready himself to really push for a place next season.  Whatever games he gets in 19/20 (if not loaned again) will be good for him.  That little bit of versatility might not be a bad thing, and might make him an option as RCB in a 3 when needed.

Clarke's a similar footballer to Webster, Portsmouth fans absolutely love him. I've seen him play about 4/5 times so from what I've seen he's a dominant defender that's very comfortable with the ball at his feet and likes to venture out with it and go on those marauding runs that we often see Webster go on. As said, I've only seen him 4/5 times but the statistical analysis that accounts on Twitter such as Blades Analytic publish back this up. I think the club also mentioned that they recruit based on statistical analysis and it was how we found Eliasson so I'm sure they'll be keeping tabs on him if Kalas doesn't sign.

Definitely agree re: Vyner. I like our back three and he fits that perfectly, as does Kelly funnily enough and I think them two either side of Webster would work. 

This article is worth a read if you've got a minute or haven't already, it's Vyner commenting about the stick he received and how he's fought back from it at Rotherham and has gained a lot of respect from their fans for it. - https://www.rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk/sport/view,how-rotherham-united-loanee-zak-vyner-fought-back-from-the-jeers_31729.htm

Just now, Davefevs said:

@BessexRED yes, I read that, ta.  How much would Clarke set us back, if Pompey still in Lg1.

Hard to say isn't it. If Pompey came up I don't think he'd be a realistic signing this summer, and as much as I'd love Pompey away next year if they stay down and it increases our chances of signing Clarke and Lowe then I'm all for it.

Around £3m would probably do it for a third tier CB I should think. I'd have liked Pinnock at Barnsley as well, that may well still be plausible as Barnsley have form for selling their better players to bigger clubs in this league.

Seems like Dasilva is all but done, the all reason we'll miss out on him is if he feels he can get a bigger move.

Will be a real battle to sign Kalas but is certainly possible.

Not reading much into Palmer's instagram post, he just put out a generic post when a player finishes a loan move etc.

We may well have not seen the last of him, wouldn't be against signing him but wouldn't be to gutted if we don't.

Dasilva, Kalas and a striker have to be the main targets. 

3 hours ago, BessexRED said:

Maybe better to say people would assume he wouldn't fit our style as he's a big lump, rather than big 'black' lump, as that is irrelevant. Sure that's what you meant and you make a good point re him fitting our style. With respect as a fellow City fan.

3 hours ago, BessexRED said:

I'm struggling to understand what him being black has got to do with it? 

9 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I'm struggling to understand what him being black has got to do with it? 

It’s an observation. If you listen to @Shtanley‘s podcast it’s often been said that Diedhiou is heavily praised by opposition fans, and the conclusion a few have drawn is that he stands out as a big, black striker.

I obviously don’t mean it in any sort of derogatory way, I think you know that.

13 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

If Kalas takes up too much of our budget for a permanent deal I’d be happy with a pairing of Kelly and Webster .

I wouldn’t be against it, but Kelly, as much potential as he has, doesn’t strike me just yet as being ready to play a whole season with Webster and command top 6....which us undoubtedly where we are aiming.  If we want to play total sustainability, then go for it.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I wouldn’t be against it, but Kelly, as much potential as he has, doesn’t strike me just yet as being ready to play a whole season with Webster and command top 6....which us undoubtedly where we are aiming.  If we want to play total sustainability, then go for it.

We have Wright , Baker and Vyner as back up at the moment.

Archived