IGNORED

SIGNED: Jay Dasilva

Davefevs

13 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Brilliant. Why did no one else want him?!

It didn't matter, we had a pre-agreed option at a set price when he first arrived.

If we wanted him, the only thing to stop the deal would have been Jay not wanting to come, irrespective of how much more other clubs offered.

There is the same arrangement with one of the other two Chelsea loanees. (Not sure, but I think it's Palmer.)

I imagine the low fee spread over 3 years, would also allow a signing on fee that made us more attractive, whilst sticking within the wage budget.

Great work from all involved in the deal.

Welcome back Jay.

14 minutes ago, Unan said:

Kovaic signed for Chelsea today, maybe they asked us to wait on announcing JDs so Madrids asking price didn't go up.. or it's just a coincidence 

I doubt out transfer had any impact on a move from real to Chelsea! We're not quite there yet.

16 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Brilliant. Why did no one else want him?!

This is the best part for me. I think several other clubs did want him but he`s told them he`s not interested as he wants to play for us IMO. That`s how I read his interview anyway.

It`s deals like this that go a long way to ditching the `little Bristol City` tag - long may it continue.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

This is the best part for me. I think several other clubs did want him but he`s told them he`s not interested as he wants to play for us IMO. That`s how I read his interview anyway.

It`s deals like this that go a long way to ditching the `little Bristol City` tag - long may it continue.

I am sure where we are now is a direct result of the change in approach and strategy that SL instigated  - starting with the much derided 5 pillars.

Over the last 4/5 seasons we have become a well run and professional club with a clear plan in place as to how we will progress on and off the field. That is reflected in the gradual improvement in player quality, and despite the odd hiccup such and Engval, the successes with players like Reid, Bryan, Flint and Kelly and talk of a recent purchase like Webster turning into a £20m+ player after one season with us, show the club is now on a different planet than it was when we last dropped out of the championship.

Allied to the stadium redevelopment and off field commercial activities, I think that players will see us as a progressive club where they can be well rewarded but also where they have a great chance of developing their careers, both with the club, as we aim for promotion, but also because they will improve as players under the coaching of the City coaching staff giving them a great chance to move further up the football ladder.

If as we all hope, Dasilva's signing is followed by that of Kalas and hopefully Palmer, then it will be a tremendous endorsement of the club to the wider football world. 

31 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I am sure where we are now is a direct result of the change in approach and strategy that SL instigated  - starting with the much derided 5 pillars.

Over the last 4/5 seasons we have become a well run and professional club with a clear plan in place as to how we will progress on and off the field. That is reflected in the gradual improvement in player quality, and despite the odd hiccup such and Engval, the successes with players like Reid, Bryan, Flint and Kelly and talk of a recent purchase like Webster turning into a £20m+ player after one season with us, show the club is now on a different planet than it was when we last dropped out of the championship.

Allied to the stadium redevelopment and off field commercial activities, I think that players will see us as a progressive club where they can be well rewarded but also where they have a great chance of developing their careers, both with the club, as we aim for promotion, but also because they will improve as players under the coaching of the City coaching staff giving them a great chance to move further up the football ladder.

If as we all hope, Dasilva's signing is followed by that of Kalas and hopefully Palmer, then it will be a tremendous endorsement of the club to the wider football world. 

I agree with all of this. I'd add as well that I think that in a few years, perhaps even now, we will look back on the success of Tammy Abraham's loan as a watershed moment in the club's history. That loan was hard to get by all accounts. Chelsea seemingly doubted us a little and from what I remember reading at the time LJ and the other club leaders had to work hard to get him. But his huge success in a struggling side, his subsequent move to Swansea, now promotion with Villa, and England caps showed Chelsea, their youth players, and even the wider world that we aren't just a place to dump the young lads you don't fancy. Years down the line you get players like Dasilva and Palmer (Kalas is a little different as he's older) wanting to join us permanently. 

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I agree with all of this. I'd add as well that I think that in a few years, perhaps even now, we will look back on the success of Tammy Abraham's loan as a watershed moment in the club's history. That loan was hard to get by all accounts. Chelsea seemingly doubted us a little and from what I remember reading at the time LJ and the other club leaders had to work hard to get him. But his huge success in a struggling side, his subsequent move to Swansea, now promotion with Villa, and England caps showed Chelsea, their youth players, and even the wider world that we aren't just a place to dump the young lads you don't fancy. Years down the line you get players like Dasilva and Palmer (Kalas is a little different as he's older) wanting to join us permanently. 

The other thing about Tammy coming here on loan was that if I read things correctly, it was LJ meeting Tammy and his family that swung things in our favour.

For all the criticism LJ has received ( and still does from some) - understandably so at some of the bad times - he does seem to really love the club and I am sure this , along with his enthusiasm and commitment, must come across as such a positive factor to players considering a move here. The more he keeps us at the top end of the championship and progressing players like Kelly, Webster and hopefully a few more this season, the more attractive we will be as a club.

For all the frustrations that we all still experience, it does feel a lot better and more positive being a City fan now than for many a year - that should guarantee an awful start to the new season and all that positivity draining away! :) 

5 hours ago, EnderMB said:

No idea, but I've seen this rumour on here, Twitter, and Reddit, so I would imagine that it's probably true.

JD has cost 2million on a 4yr deal which will total including wages and fees 5million.For that talent and improving all the time it's a fantastic bit of buisness.

4 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

Probably works out about 30k m8 over a 4yr deal will be 5million. We moved very early on the deal last year so excellent for player and us.. ?

The maths is fairly basic. 5 million - 2 million/ 4 / 52 = 14.5k a week. However, I believe you’ve probably picked those numbers out of thin air. 

8 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Before we get too carried away, other clubs would have had to pay a substantially higher transfer fee than the fixed fee we agreed a year ago.

Therefore we could offer him a far higher weekly wage.

Credit still for bringing him on from where he was 12 months ago, and increasing his value to well in excess of the reported £2m

3 hours ago, zippycar said:

Before we get too carried away, other clubs would have had to pay a substantially higher transfer fee than the fixed fee we agreed a year ago.

Therefore we could offer him a far higher weekly wage.

Credit still for bringing him on from where he was 12 months ago, and increasing his value to well in excess of the reported £2m

Not true. Chelsea by demanding a much higher fee would place him in to our hands for the reason you state. Therefore it only makes sense that Chelsea would only modestly increase their asking price so as to not blow interested party out of the water on the wages and cost of total deal. They’d have been better off asking for - day - £1m more, getting 7 figures in themselves and allowing that transfer a reasonable chance. If they asked for much more by way of fee they then basically sign off the fee we are paying. 

If the numbers are to be believed, I would imagine that there are substantial bonuses are play too. His contract might amount to £5m overall, but he'll probably make some serious money in the event of promotion, would go for free/peanuts if we're relegated, and other performance-based bonuses.

Now he’s signed can we lose the hopelessly incorrect “JDS” references ?

I know I’m an old, pedantic tosser - but his name is Jay Dasilva - so his initials are JD - like the very fine Bourbon beverage.

“JDS” is like calling Tomas Kalas “TKL” - Tomas Ka Las he ain’t ....

I do apologise for being a pedantic old fart, just dunno why we can’t get our players’ names and initials correct - although there is still loads of ‘Landsdown’ type guff flying around so I am clearly banging my head against a brick wall - as Weller sang in 1977 “Standards Rule Ok” ... clearly not everyone agrees, so f@ck it, I’m off for a session with @bristolcitysweden - that’ll sort me out!

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I know I’m an old, pedantic tosser - but his name is Jay Dasilva - so his initials are JD - like the very fine Bourbon beverage.

I do apologise for being a pedantic old fart, just dunno why we can’t get our players’ names and initials correct - although there is still loads of ‘Landsdown’ type guff flying around so I am clearly banging my head against a brick wall - as Weller sang in 1977 “Standards Rule Ok” ... clearly not everyone agrees, so f@ck it, I’m off for a session with @bristolcitysweden - that’ll sort me out!

One interpretation, though I suspect Michael van Gerwen (MVG to his fans) may disagree with you. “de” is a generic preposition similar to Matt le Tissier or Ruud van Nistelrooy. I’d hazard a guess that JDS is a lot clearer than JD in short hand, not that I give a monkey’s how it’s abbreviated... just delighted he’s signed 

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’m a pedantic tosser too: Jack’s ain’t Bourbon! ?

8 hours ago, Dunc said:

One interpretation, though I suspect Michael van Gerwen (MVG to his fans) may disagree with you. “de” is a generic preposition similar to Matt le Tissier or Ruud van Nistelrooy. I’d hazard a guess that JDS is a lot clearer than JD in short hand, not that I give a monkey’s how it’s abbreviated... just delighted he’s signed 

All well and good but his name is Jay Dasilva not Jay de Silva.

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

May your liver rest in peace

12 hours ago, Dunc said:

It’s Jay Dasilva - two words - given that, I’m not sure how any of your post makes sense - but as you say, the main thing is we’ve signed him! 

22 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Self awareness is a marvellous thing @BS4 on tour ?

Archived