IGNORED

Max - What to do.....

Steve Watts

3 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

At the age he is, he needs to be playing. If Nikki is our number one, then I’d send Max out on loan as you suggest with a view to him taking the reigns maybe next year

If nikki is our number 1???  No fielding is our number 1. Top tip look at the back of the shirts.  Nikki will be released. Fielding jojo and oleary will be the 3 keepers

5 minutes ago, Redwhitepurple said:

If nikki is our number 1???  No fielding is our number 1. Top tip look at the back of the shirts.  Nikki will be released. Fielding jojo and oleary will be the 3 keepers

Then god help us.

We need upgrades all over the pitch and a commanding goalie is a must. If Nikki wasn't injury prone I would stick with him but as things stand I would let FF go have Nikki as no2 put Max on loan and do everything possible to get a big keeper who bosses the box and can kick a ball better than a pub player.

3 minutes ago, Redwhitepurple said:

You’ve missed “Fact” off the end of your sentence! ?

How can you be so sure?  The shirt numbers mean very little.  Mäenpää signed on 1/8, squad numbers announced the day after.  Why wasn’t Max at no24 picked ahead of Niki at no33 then.  Players retain numbers season by season.

For info, when FF came back from his illness, LJ still kept NM in goal with Max on the bench for a good few games.  It was only when Niki got injured again that FF was picked over Max for Forest (a).

Neither keeper has had the one year option triggered by the club.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

The proof he has potential was demonstrated in his performance at Villa Park. However to prove he has the ability long term he needs to make adjustments and improvements in his game that can only be made by regular game time at professional level .....probably elsewhere. Collecting splinters up his backside and playing once a month for the 23’s won’t realise the improvements he needs to make!!

Thanks.  You've just provided pretty much the response I was going to....only probably more succinct than I would've done. :)

1 hour ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Didn’t age well mate - FACT ?

4 hours ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Hahha, this backfired quickly.

Another great post where you prove you're clueless.

10 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Nowhere near complete enough for a full season at this level..loan him out 

Sounds like the kind of thing we were all saying about Bobby Reid a little while ago.

Give the guy his shot. We've got a chance at bringing a quality goalkeeper through for once. Let's do it here with our coaches.

2 minutes ago, TBW said:

Sounds like the kind of thing we were all saying about Bobby Reid a little while ago.

Give the guy his shot. We've got a chance at bringing a quality goalkeeper through for once. Let's do it here with our coaches.

Possibly mate...however more scared of crosses than Dracula 

21 hours ago, EnderMB said:

Refused to sell because we didn't offer enough money.

Sure, Man City will always be a more attractive prospect, but there was no indication that they were interested before us - otherwise the press over there wouldn't have been so keen to interview him about us.

In many ways, Man City putting up solid money for him is a good sign that we're scouting the right players, but I really wish we had offered more money to seal the deal. It's highly unlikely he'll be at Man City anyway - he'll either go out on loan or will be #2/3. I think he would've signed with us if first-team football in the second tier was guaranteed.

No refused to sell because they had no other option and couldn’t sign anyone as it was the middle of their season

the club didn’t mess up, we offered them more money then Man City did to sign him

12 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Didn’t a younger version of Frankie once get a call-up to the England squad?

Bench experience at England being the U21 goalie. I really think some are OTT over Max because he's "one of our own" He is not good enough to be the no 1 of choice at a club with aspirations to challenge for a playoff position over 46 games.

39 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Bench experience at England being the U21 goalie. I really think some are OTT over Max because he's "one of our own" He is not good enough to be the no 1 of choice at a club with aspirations to challenge for a playoff position over 46 games.

I think he is and believe, if given his chance, he will quickly develop into one of the best English keepers in the game.  Ah well, we'll see...

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think he is and believe, if given his chance, he will quickly develop into one of the best English keepers in the game.  Ah well, we'll see...

Fair play to you and I truly hope you are proven right, I just don't see it myself although what do I know !

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Dont think he's big enough for that to happen. He definitely has potential tho

22 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure on the work permit issues, but Man City in a position to buy someone for several million and then loan him out to countries that have less stringent rules, whilst he gains more international caps and likelihood of gaining WP.

Anyone with thoughts on this.  

We don’t know that Man City weren’t in the frame when our “rumoured by Berhalter” bid came in.

21 hours ago, EnderMB said:

When we were out of the race for Steffen I had assumed it was down to work permit issues.

IIRC, the work permit rules around non-EU players are that the player must have played at least 60% of their national teams matches within that year. Where this gets tricky is that I don't know whether this includes friendly matches or not. Since the US didn't quality for the World Cup, I don't think they've played a competitive match for the last year - otherwise Steffen would quality for a work permit as he's got 8 caps in the last year.

I assume it's why they bought him in January and then kept him in the US, because it allows him more time to establish himself as the main keeper for the US. With that being said, since we need a keeeper now, there's no reason why we couldn't have done a similar deal last summer before Man City pounced.

Price of the transfer comes into play too.

If in the top so many fees (for player from that country I think) then amount of caps means nowt.

On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 10:21, Chappers said:

Keep him as number 2 and play him in cup games. Risk with loaning himout is that he sits on the bench elsewhere, and we can’t recall him. 

If he ends up on the bench in League One then he's not ready to be playing for City in the Championship so no loss really

I'd keep him in our Match day squad. Think he'll be number 2 keeper behind whoever we bring in, but that will provide good competition for a starting spot, knowing he played this season, and quite well at that. 

Archived