Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Alex_BCFC

Stefan Marinovic Released (Confirmed)

"Meanwhile, goalkeeper Stefan Marinovic has been released following the end of the short-term contract that saw him make one appearance after arriving in March, following injuries to Fielding and Niki Mäenpää."

Just want o say Thank you Stefan for the night terrors.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Just now, Major Isewater said:

No .

The club is not going to be the same ever again.

Joking aside , shame it didn’t work out and best of luck for the future Stefan.

Prove the doubters wrong .

I must admit, it was a terrible debut, but I remember the reaction on here to Basso's early games and people crying about Johnson replacing Phillips with him and look how that turned out. He may find a home and make a decent career somewhere else.

• Like 6

Just now, Alex_BCFC said:

Only keeper in NZ gone. Why?

Just joking :) 

When it's Bobby Reid or Joe Bryan we get a compilation video and farewell message, but with Stefan absolutely nothing. Typical of the media team this season.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Wish he had come in and been the best keeper ever, unfortunately not. Not upto the standard unfortunately, was a bit of a punt in reality. 

2 minutes ago, Olé said:

When it's Bobby Reid or Joe Bryan we get a compilation video and farewell message, but with Stefan absolutely nothing. Typical of the media team this season.

It's been kicked into the long grass as a tribute to his distribution.... 

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I must admit, it was a terrible debut, but I remember the reaction on here to Basso's early games and people crying about Johnson replacing Phillips with him and look how that turned out. He may find a home and make a decent career somewhere else.

I'm sure he will.................................it just won't be as a goalkeeper

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

The comments on here about Marinovic have been ridiculously over the top. 

He was signed short term (end of season) contract to provide cover while both first choice were injured.

He didn't stake a claim for first choice but ultimately did his job as being cover.

Good luck Stefan.

I wouldnt call him a 'cover keeper' when the last 4 (?) games we literally would rather have no keeper on the bench, than him!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

He was signed short term (end of season) contract to provide cover while both first choice were injured.

It wasn't even a terrible debut. It was a terrible bit of play at the start of his debut, but he wasn't at fault for the goal conceded.

He didn't stake a claim for first choice but ultimately did his job as being cover.

Good luck Stefan.

It wasn't even a terrible debut? Did you watch it? It was shocking.

• Like 2

To be fair here, and that debut did give the vapours.

I can honestly say that as someone who sits there quarters of the way back in the Dolman not that far from the half way line, I felt less threatened by Stefan's goal-kicks than those made by Frankie.

With Frank, there was always that fear the ball might hit you if you weren't paying attention.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spoons said:

It wasn't even a terrible debut? Did you watch it? It was shocking.

Disagree.  His kicking was awful....the rest of his game was ok.

Why did LJ pick a guy who hadn’t played for 4/5 months, never played in English football before, etc, etc...when he had Max?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Why did LJ pick a guy who hadn’t played for 4/5 months, never played in English football before, etc, etc...when he had Max?

Agreed on both points- think he made some pretty sharp saves from memory, but at the same time the kicking set a bad tone, wouldn't have helped settle the defence.

Was unnecessarily harsh on O'Leary too.

• Like 2

Thrown straight into the side as emergency cover. 

Obviously ‘rusty’ but didn’t let us down when called upon - despite a few ‘flapper’ moments was never at fault for us conceding. 

Having said that it was the right decision and totally predictable  

Good luck Stefan. 

• Like 4

Just now, bcfcredandwhite said:

Yes - I have a feeling we won that game if I remember correctly......

Drew 1-1....Kelly og

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

No thanks to him.

34 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

1-1. 

I guess it depends on which highlights reel you stumble across. 

If it's this one, then it's the worst debut I've ever seen:

However, he does redeem himself somewhat in the following clip and may be able to find another club:

Edited by Coppello
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Spoons said:

No thanks to him.

1-1. 

Whilst on the subject of Antipodean defenders who have been moved on....

Bailey Wright? He joining Stefan on his was out the door at BS3? 🤞

17 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Yes - my bad -  not Stefans fault though. 

If we had put Max in goal we would have won that match. Yes the goal was not his fault but his distribution and uncertainty when on the ball completely threw our team, who themselves started to look unsettled and panicked, often starting to hoof it clear rather than passing back to the goalie, which is not how we had been playing before.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It really wasn’t. A few times he came out and aimlessly punched it up into the air with no direction. He also couldn’t control a backpass without it bouncing 5 feet in front of him. Couple of smart saves but certainly the dodgiest debut I can remember.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

It really wasn’t. A few times he came out and aimlessly punched it up into the air with no direction. He also couldn’t control a backpass without it bouncing 5 feet in front of him. Couple of smart saves but certainly the dodgiest debut I can remember.

Opinions. I only remember him mis-punching it up in the air once????  Kicking - I’m including all aspects with ball at his feet. But he pinged a lovely 45 yard pass to Kelly minutes after his dodgy first touch. 

It was a dodgy debut overall, but I think clouded by the stuff with his feet not his hands. 

But you’re fine to have a different view. 

In this day and age all GK’s are expected to save the shots as standard but in addition a first touch is also a prerequisite so that the keeper can be an extra defender in possession. Stefan’s second touch was always a tackle unfortunately. I’m sure he would have improved on that given the chance but is he what a club with Championship Play Off ambitions needs between the sticks? No need to even answer that.

13 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

In this day and age all GK’s are expected to save the shots as standard but in addition a first touch is also a prerequisite so that the keeper can be an extra defender in possession. Stefan’s second touch was always a tackle unfortunately. I’m sure he would have improved on that given the chance but is he what a club with Championship Play Off ambitions needs between the sticks? No need to even answer that.

Completely agree.  The problem was LJ throwing him in to a situation he was not prepared for.  All I was saying to Marco is that the stuff he did with his hands wasn’t so bad.  But you couldn’t pick him again....at least until he’s acclimatised to the speed of the Champ.  Even Max has a few horror passes in his early games....Brentford, almost got robbed on his 6 yard line, Hull, kicked one straight to Grosicki 30 yards out.

• Like 1

On 07/05/2019 at 15:17, JamesBCFC said:

It wasn't even a terrible debut. It was a terrible bit of play at the start of his debut, but he wasn't at fault for the goal conceded.

Good luck Stefan.

Exactly - Frankie had a horror debut that led to goals being conceded that were his fault - Marinovic’s debut was nowhere near as bad - Frankie turned it around, but it took him a while - he wasn’t good for a significant period.

The hysterical, over the top OTIB reaction to Marinovic’s debut was nothing if not predictable - good luck to the geezer....

PS - when Bale joined Spurs he was pretty woeful for nearly a season .... just saying ....

• Like 2

If we get drawn against Wellington Phoenix in the Anglo-Antipodean Cup I'd suggest we apply the high press so that Wellington Phoenix have to pepper him with back passes.

• Like 4

Fair play, glad he's found his level. I believe Wellington A.F.C. play in the Western Premier Division and he'll have a lovely life down in Somerset. 

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

If we get drawn against Wellington Phoenix in the Anglo-Antipodean Cup I'd suggest we apply the high press so that Wellington Phoenix have to pepper him with back passes.

He'll probably score against us... 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

Hmmm the Anglo-Antipodean cup. Over two legs, Home And Away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1