IGNORED

Player releases show City mean business

Major Isewater

The players that have , so far , been released show that City are not allowing sentiment to cloud their judgment.

It is sad to see Frankie and Eros , in particular,  leave the club but both are very rational decisions and give me hope for the future as we upgrade the playing squad again. 

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

The players that have , so far , been released show that City are not allowing sentiment to cloud their judgment.

It is sad to see Frankie and Eros , in particular,  leave the club but both are very rational decisions and give me hope for the future as we upgrade the playing squad again. 

But also out of contract

1 minute ago, INCRED said:

Expect quite a few more in the coming days/weeks and maybe a few confirmed signings also

Most of the players that I would expect to move on in the summer have some sort of value though, so I wouldn't expect them to be released, but maybe see their names circulated in the hope of generating something from them. 

If we can find a way to ship Watkins out- Barnsley return maybe, as they have quite a young side, he did alright there and a bit of physicality and experience could benefit them- that would be ideal.

Would take a loan fee and wages covered being realistic, but if we can recoup cash on him that'd be great.

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Doesn’t the same happen pretty much at the end of every season?  Contracts expire at the end of May so those not being renewed are released.

It happens throughout football..

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Doesn’t the same happen pretty much at the end of every season?  Contracts expire at the end of May so those not being renewed are released.

Missing the point as usual RR

26 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Does it really ? Well you live and learn . 

13 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Jez, I forgot Watkins was still here!!! 

Sssh don’t tell anyone. 

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm just trying to find a decent club for offloading him to- clearly not working. :thumbsup:

Aren't a great number of candidates- Wigan maybe?

From what I've seen of MW in the u23's and first team, he's not of championship standard. I'm not always right tho'!

34 minutes ago, BigTone said:

But also out of contract

and not offered new ones here.

Eros was opining how much he loves it here and that his daughter is happy at school etc we could have offered him a contract if we were soft hearted but took a decision due simply to football and budget ary reasons.

That’s kind of what I’m getting at .

Putting the club before the players .

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Eros was opining how much he loves it here and that his daughter is happy at school etc we could have offered him a contract if we were soft hearted but took a decision due simply to football and budget ary reasons.

Plus made the decision early.

If Pisano’s wife’s Twitter posts are anything to go by, we made the decision before Xmas.

43 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Contracts expire at the end of June.

We very often wait a bit longer before announcing who is released, not do it on the first working day after our last match 

38 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

From what I've seen of MW in the u23's and first team, he's not of championship standard. I'm not always right tho'!

He's not had a good couple of years and not ideal for us, but 10 goals and 7 assists from a winger/striker ie a wide man who drifts inside is good! That's his Barnsley season- it's why Norwich signed him.

Some key stats for him at Barnsley from 16/17 and why I think a return could suit all parties:

Attacking:

• Goals- 10
  • Shots Per Game- 1.6
  • Dribbles Per Game- 1.4
  • Fouled by Opponent Per Game- 1

Midfield:

• Assists- 7
  • Key Passes Per Game. 1.4
  • Average Passes Per Game- 22.1
  • Passing % Accuracy- 72.9%
  • Crosses Per Game- 0.3
  • Long Balls Per Game- 0.1

Defensive:

• Tackles Per Game- 0.9
  • Interceptions Per Game- 0.4
  • Clearances Per Game- 0.6
  • Dribbled past Per Game- 0.6
  • Blocks Per Game- 0.1

Suffice to say, his stats post Barnsley are a lot worse!

29 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Contracts expire at the end of June.

We very often wait a bit longer before announcing who is released, not do it on the first working day after our last match 

There was i thinking contracts started at the beginning of June.......silly me.......................:facepalm:

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Explain.....

A point might be players leaving lack key qualities the team needs.

Neither were remarkably good on the ball.

Players coming in may clearly possess the above to progress the teams football.

Might and may was used mind ..

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

A point might be players leaving lack key qualities the team needs.

Neither were remarkably good on the ball.

Players coming in may clearly possess the above to progress the teams football.

Might and may was used mind ..

I get that Cowshed and I’ll repeat my earlier post - doesn’t the same happen at every club throughout football?

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Understand 

11 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

What did she say? I only caught the ‘fake post’ the other day 

Something along the lines of:

”first they want you, you move to Bristol, and then they don’t want you”.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I get that Cowshed and I’ll repeat my earlier post - doesn’t the same happen at every club throughout football?

Not always.

Bristol City could have resigned Frank Fielding. He is a good shot stopper, some fans think he is better than good . Pisano is a solid competent defender. For some that is fundamentally enough. 

That two players who are good and solid in their positions have left could be a sign of other qualities being considered necessary to progress the football. 

2 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Not always.

Bristol City could have resigned Frank Fielding. He is a good shot stopper, some fans think he is better than good . Pisano is a solid competent defender. For some that is fundamentally enough. 

That two players who are good and solid in their positions have left could be a sign of other qualities being considered necessary to progress the football. 

I hope so.  The fine margins that take you into the top half and in / around the PO picture, require another set of fine margins to take you that next step.

There have been various transitions over the last few seasons, from Mäenpää coming in due to his better and quicker passing, to Webster for Flint, as we look to play from the back.

This summer will show whether we are aiming higher or not.

Just now, JonDolman said:

Yep. It was always a Barnsley way under those managers, getting young players in. But now it seems like a rule that the club stick to 100%. They went down last season with a ridiculously young squad, and now they are slightly older a year on, but still the oldest is only 26. And their new manager might not fancy Watkins anyway. Turned out to be a terrible signing though didn't it.

I’m a bit mixed on Watkins.  Certainly not a stellar signing I agree.

But although not pleading on the eye, he had something effective about him, those couple of goals...and I thought he added a bit of aggression down the right side, and in the games him and Hunt played together they looked a good fit for each other.

Ultimately he hadn’t played enough, and i think there is better out there, especially if we want to push on.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I hope so.  The fine margins that take you into the top half and in / around the PO picture, require another set of fine margins to take you that next step.

There have been various transitions over the last few seasons, from Mäenpää coming in due to his better and quicker passing, to Webster for Flint, as we look to play from the back.

This summer will show whether we are aiming higher or not.

That’s how I see it as well Dave. Massive summer coming up. We have a decent enough platform in a decent squad. Very stable and organised off the field with good facilities. Time to kick on now with 3 or 4 top 6 standard quality signings along with the inevitable 2 or 3 ones for the future/ punts.

14 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I would be surprised if Barnsley take him. He is 28, and Barnsley seem to only buy players that are in their early 20s.

14 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I would be surprised if Barnsley take him. He is 28, and Barnsley seem to only buy players that are in their early 20s.

Yeah true...thinking that's the sort of club- maybe not Barnsley themselves- who we should be looking at offering him too though- most likely to be compatible.

Archived