IGNORED

Player releases show City mean business

Major Isewater

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

,I hope so.  The fine margins that take you into the top half and in / around the PO picture, require another set of fine margins to take you that next step.

There have been various transitions over the last few seasons, from Mäenpää coming in due to his better and quicker passing, to Webster for Flint, as we look to play from the back.

This summer will show whether we are aiming higher or not.

Personally I am looking forward to young inquisitive keepers not asking me again what is it they are doing with their training on distribution, and what was it Frank Fielding was up to in goal for City coz coach he keeps giving the ball away ... 

The above happened. 

Football moves on. Keepers role evolves likewise ...

10 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Not always.

Bristol City could have resigned Frank Fielding. He is a good shot stopper, some fans think he is better than good . Pisano is a solid competent defender. For some that is fundamentally enough. 

That two players who are good and solid in their positions have left could be a sign of other qualities being considered necessary to progress the football. 

You could be reading too much into what is a simple enough scenario

Players get released at every club largely because they’re no longer in the managers plans. Pisano and FF fit the bill. 

What it means is that they’re off the wage bill giving MA more wriggle room in negotiations with the agents of any new signings.

It also means that LJ has already lined up better quality replacements in those positions as part of him strengthening the squad.

It ain’t rocket science Cowshed.

28 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think Watkins might be a good player in a side not like Norwich or us. I bet if Warnock had successfully signed him off of Norwich then he might have played a big part at Cardiff. A defensive, direct, physical side that is happy to have 30-40% possession that have wide men who attack space on the break. Watkins might be a very good player in such a set up.

He was a bad signing for us because he doesn't suit the way LJ wants us to play. LJ needs to start only signing players that are very good with the ball at their feet. It's the only way we will be able to get it down and pass our way through teams. If we have players with dodgy touches, who cannot turn and are forced backwards, then we will struggle to play teams off the park.

We need to stop bringing in a variety of different players to vary line ups and tactics for whoever we are up against. I rate Diedhiou, but I would argue a passing game does not play to his strengths, just like Watkins. Same with Bailey Wright at right back, and even Weimann on the wing does not really suit a high possession passing side. He is kind of like Watkins, but a better version.

The odd thing though, about Watkins- looking at those stats from 2016/17 at Barnsley I posted is his midfield stats are perfectly sound. 1.4 key passes per game is decent, 72.9% passing accuracy average per game not an awful lot wrong with that. I get what you're saying but he kind of fell off a cliff with Norwich and then in different respects with us- possibly because he moved to more of a footballing side.

Our passing was pretty fluid in the late Autumn 2017-early Winter 2017/18...Wright was RB. I say RB, more like RCB in a team of 4 CB's but yeah he isn't the best technically- technically speaking was greater than the sum of its part, because the players could switch inside and outside and crowd the middle which helped with the winning and retention of possession.

The uber high possession and dominance thing though aspirational is in fact a bit questionable...WhoScored may not be the best stats site, but 51.9% possession isn't a possession heavy side- when I think possession heavy I think Leeds, Norwich- at times Aston Villa, hell at times Derby even. Us? At times but not so much overall- actually a lot or at least a decent number of our points have come with us having 50% or less of the ball, interestingly.

Ohh- Brentford and Swansea too, in terms of ability to dominate the ball, to control that side of it.

Chances are, Ashton is due down Thomas Cook tomorrow morning to get a good deal on flights to the states, and doesn't want to spend more than he needs to, but equally wants to get the maximum number of Nectar points.

That'll be why they've done this early doors.

Possibly.

20 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Post #14 explains

The last time the club put compassion ahead of the team was when Louis Carey was heading towards the appearance record..

I can’t see why the Major thought it necessary to point that out given the huge changes throughout the entire club.

1 hour ago, RobintheRed Red said:

You couldnt give him away 

2 seasons ago, 10 goals, 7 assists and reasonably technically sound from wide and midfield in Championship how he deteriorated at here and Norwich. Perhaps that just s golden season for him? :dunno:

There's always that manager who thinks 'I'm that cut above, I CAN get a bargain here'.

Semenyo...

Was it bullshit then that Chelsea or Man Utd were keen?

We've released him if true and for what. We didn't gain any profit on him- sale in Jan may have helped fund a striker for playoff push.

Paterson going was a surprise in some ways, post Christmas his returns- by which I mean end product much improved.

We should've extended Maenapa, Paterson and Semenyo I'd only from a business ie profit on disposal standpoint if all is accurate.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Semenyo...

Was it bullshit then that Chelsea or Man Utd were keen?

We've released him if true and for what. We didn't gain any profit on him- sale in Jan may have helped fund a striker for playoff push.

Paterson going was a surprise in some ways, post Christmas his returns- by which I mean end product much improved.

We should've extended Maenapa, Paterson and Semenyo I'd only from a business ie profit on disposal standpoint if all is accurate.

Sky aren’t FACT

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

The players that have , so far , been released show that City are not allowing sentiment to cloud their judgment.

It is sad to see Frankie and Eros , in particular,  leave the club but both are very rational decisions and give me hope for the future as we upgrade the playing squad again. 

I think it will be the signings that will show if we mean business next season.

Archived