IGNORED

Player releases show City mean business

Major Isewater

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Even transfermarkt is out of date Re Pato and Semenyo, who both signed deal last summer.

Current squad.

D7C693FF-2630-43D6-B7CF-81956BF77479.jpeg

Thanks. That seems about right- wonder if Sky sourced Transfermarkt?  Which incidentally is decent, for fees certainly and historically contract lengths... but given Sky's resources...

Surely more of a Bristol Post tactic but it makes you wonder. :laugh:

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks. That seems about right- wonder if Sky sourced Transfrtmarkt?  Which incidentally is decent, for fees certainly... but given Sky's resources...

Surely more of a Bristol Post tactic but it makes you wonder. :laugh

It’s shoddy work, I bet Football Manager is up to date, and they use their data on deadline day.  They’ve pinched it from someone else.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks. That seems about right- wonder if Sky sourced Transfrtmarkt?  Which incidentally is decent, for fees certainly... but given Sky's resources...

Surely more of a Bristol Post tactic but it makes you wonder. :laugh

Cheeky blighter.....it’s updated right from the OS, apart from fees etc.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s shoddy work, I bet Football Manager is up to date, and they use their data on deadline day.  They’ve pinched it from someone else.

Cheeky blighter.....it’s updated right from the OS, apart from fees etc.

Oh yeah, meant from my recollection from reading snippets in the past on here etc- your spreadsheet I am sure is spot on!

3 hours ago, Chappers said:

The news that we have released a desperation signing, an injury-prone keeper and an injury-prone right back will have other Championship clubs quaking in their boots.

Wouldn’t say Viral Meningitis which kept him out for several months this season is being injury prone, he’s been fantastic for us since he joined, lost his place on a few occasions never once moaned, got his head down and won his place back. In fact both of them that you say are injury prone, have both had serious injuries so hardly injury prone.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

2 seasons ago, 10 goals, 7 assists and reasonably technically sound from wide and midfield in Championship how he deteriorated at here and Norwich. Perhaps that just s golden season for him? :dunno:

There's always that manager who thinks 'I'm that cut above, I CAN get a bargain here'.

Yes some players deteriate very quickly still he got a nice signing on fee out of that million we wasted Norw8ch fans did warn us.

10 hours ago, paul_fox said:

Surprised about Paterson. Seemed to be one of Johnsons favourites. Good player but too inconsistent 

Me too. But he’s played a blinder in the last couple of games, quite unlike him. Shop window? 

39 minutes ago, RedM said:

Me too. But he’s played a blinder in the last couple of games, quite unlike him. Shop window? 

16 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Has that been confirmed that Patterson is going?

That was a list from sky saying who is out of contract for each club. Being it wasn’t a premier league list they unsurprisingly got it wrong. Pato and Semenyo are contracted until after next season at least. Maenpaa we have an option so that one is half right and the other 3 are gone

26 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Has that been confirmed that Patterson is going?

No not at all, I just saw he was mentioned by SkySports (?) on this thread. 

Personally I don’t think so, but a huge upturn in performance from him at Millwall and Hull in particular got me making 5 when I put 2 + 2 together. Sky plucked his name from somewhere though which is odd, staranger things have happened. 

It seems Sky have got their info wrong, we know this to be true about our players so I guess it’s safe to assume they aren’t the only ones on their list that are incorrect?

10 hours ago, BigTone said:

They were all out of contract

Not yet they're not. It's not eventhe end of the season. They WILL BE and we'd have longer to negotiate if we'd wanted.

On 07/05/2019 at 15:16, Robbored said:

Doesn’t the same happen pretty much at the end of every season?  Contracts expire at the end of May so those not being renewed are released.

It happens throughout football..

Spot on.

And if they’re contracts aren’t being renewed it tells us something else....

They ain’t good enough! 

18 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Wouldn’t say Viral Meningitis which kept him out for several months this season is being injury prone, he’s been fantastic for us since he joined, lost his place on a few occasions never once moaned, got his head down and won his place back. In fact both of them that you say are injury prone, have both had serious injuries so hardly injury prone.

The intention was not to knock any of the players, but they were hardly jaw-dropping shocks, and to suggest that releasing them “shows that we mean business” is just total bullox. Think FF has been a great servant, and don’t think he will have any problem finding a new club.

21 hours ago, Chappers said:

The news that we have released a desperation signing, an injury-prone keeper and an injury-prone right back will have other Championship clubs quaking in their boots.

We signed an injury prone central defender last summer! :) 

On 07/05/2019 at 16:56, Cowshed said:

Not always.

Bristol City could have resigned Frank Fielding. He is a good shot stopper, some fans think he is better than good . Pisano is a solid competent defender. For some that is fundamentally enough. 

That two players who are good and solid in their positions have left could be a sign of other qualities being considered necessary to progress the football. 

Agree with this - but what if (as has happened MANY times before) we go after players who won’t come to us? 

To cast them adrift before signing replacements is imho an unnecessary risk. At least wait until their replacements are in the bag.......

6 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Agree with this - but what if (as has happened MANY times before) we go after players who won’t come to us? 

To cast them adrift before signing replacements is imho an unnecessary risk. At least wait until their replacements are in the bag.......

Perhaps they are ? 

15 hours ago, TBW said:

Not yet they're not. It's not eventhe end of the season. They WILL BE and we'd have longer to negotiate if we'd wanted.

They are out of contract and it is the end of the season for BCFC. How do we know negotiations hadn't already taken place and nothing could be agreed. May I also point out that the statements issued by the club also state they are out of contract so not really down to us to dispute this fact.

13 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I don't see any risk in letting these 3 go. As the Major righting points out, maybe the replacements are already lined up.

13 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

So sit down and negotiate but if something better comes along, withdraw a contract offer?

That'll encourage players to the club.

On 07/05/2019 at 15:57, Davefevs said:

Plus made the decision early.

If Pisano’s wife’s Twitter posts are anything to go by, we made the decision before Xmas.

That’s why I come on here for my news. So thorough. Good work Davefevs. Do you follow all the wives on twitter! 

2 hours ago, fairweather said:

That’s why I come on here for my news. So thorough. Good work Davefevs. Do you follow all the wives on twitter! 

They follow me!!!!  

Me and Dolly helped her via Twitter with getting broadband sorted when they moved house!

Even with just the 3 confirmed leaving, I hope we've got some deals lined up nice and early (In the same way we saw the likes of Ayling, Freeman et al. join in 2014).

If not, surely it would be a high risk strategy which has previously failed quite badly (admittedly under Cotterill rather than Johnson). I'd like to think negotiations are more professional & likely to be more successful under 'team' Johnson/Ashton than the rutting stags of Cotterill/Lansdown.

I'm not saying "announce a signing", just that I will be more comfortable when it looks like we've replaced these players - I'm never comfortable with letting players go, especially if they've been in and around the team.

The 'trades' was are looking to pull off are likely to be very interesting.

On a separate note, Smith was offered a year extension because his injury would not have helped him get a good deal (contract extension or otherwise) from what I understand. Do we assume Fielding will not struggle to find a club?

Having been out for so long himself, it would have been slightly unfair to offer a year extension to Smith and not Fielding. -not ruling out the possibility that Fielding declined an extension

@solihull cider red I think Smith and Fielding are different scenarios. 

LJ looking to offer him a new deal as fully part of 1st team plans, but seriously  injured during Boro home game. 

By offering him another year it stopped (1) the risk of Korey returning from injury and walking for free this summer. (2) Korey signing a new 2/3/4 year deal, not returning from injury and we’ve got a contracted player on our books taking up budget. 

By the same token it gave Korey a bit of piece of mind too, as well as not forcing him to rush himself back. 

As it’s happened he’s now injured again. 

But I think sensible approach from club and player. 

Frankie’s contract was up, although club had a one year option. Rumours of wanting to move back North, no longer 1st choice, emergence of Max as capable deputy....perhaps new no1 coming in?

sensible option to release him - suspect the likes of hometown club Blackburn maybe interested?

Nobody should assume that it's only the club's decision for a player to leave a club.

We once had a striker named Trevor Morgan. Not the quickest, nor the cleverest but he helped us to win promotion in 1984. A while later, he left suddenly. Most fans couldn't understand why. No social media then, if there had been it could have gone mental.

At the club's next AGM, Terry Cooper told us why he left.

Morgan had always lived in rented houses but when he arrived at City, the majority of the squad were buying their own house. So Trev did the same but like all new purchasers with a young family, he struggled to make ends meet. 

He asked TC for a rise but not possible in the era after the 1982 fiasco. TC told him that if City got any offers for him that could get him a good pay increase, they would let him go. A few months later that happened, so Morgan got his finances sorted and we made a few pounds profit on the fee.

Don't jump to conclusions about why a player leaves. Rarely as obvious as it seems.

41 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Nobody should assume that it's only the club's decision for a player to leave a club.

We once had a striker named Trevor Morgan. Not the quickest, nor the cleverest but he helped us to win promotion in 1984. 

He was 'the meanest' though iirc. :farmer:

Archived