IGNORED

Taylor, Wright and O'Dowda

NcnsBcfc

7 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

Does anyone else think we might be about to make Taylor, and Wright available for transfer; alongside COD of course.

Seems strange to only exercise another year; rather than a fresh new contract.

CoD will almost certainly be off.

Wright - club captain, well respected within the club....... but a bang average Championship defender. I’m kinda meh about him   :dunno:

Taylor - I like him as a player. He’s busy with excellent stamina. Popular in the dressing room......but is he really Championship quality?  He’s had few starts in his season and a half despite Famara crying out for a strike partner. I’d like to see him stay but if he moved on I wouldn’t be surprised.

49 minutes ago, DownendRed97 said:

Would like to see Taylor run down his contract here, decent back up and a good player to have in and around the squad. 

Also if Rovers has any sort of sell of clause it would mean they’d get absolutely nothing more from us if we sell him :D 

In some ways, it would be more amusing if Rovers got just over 300k from a sell on (assuming 10%)

As that would mean we'd have made a fortune on a 300k speculative signing.

1 hour ago, ncnsbcfc said:

Does anyone else think we might be about to make Taylor, and Wright available for transfer; alongside COD of course.

Basically, both players have value, exercising the option stopped them going for free this summer.  Also, both player and club might have reservations about his much game time they might get going forward so no new contract / extension offered, which just kicks the Can down the goal.  Now we know what division we are in, both player and club can decide what happens next.

48 minutes ago, Judda said:

In this day and age he'll be a  million at least...

If Eisa is £1.5m, then Taylor, who had a good record in Lg1, and despite his age, will definitely be worth that (imho).  Lower end Champ side may fancy the way he plays too.

46 minutes ago, DownendRed97 said:

Would like to see Taylor run down his contract here, decent back up and a good player to have in and around the squad. 

Also if Rovers has any sort of sell of clause it would mean they’d get absolutely nothing more from us if we sell him :D 

If he’s still here at the end of the summer, I suspect it will be with a new contract.

Same for Wright.

Both their futures may be decided by who we recruit/ don’t recruit.

1 hour ago, Lucan said:

Keep dreaming. He is 29, has a seriously underwhelming scoring record since joining and 12 months on his contract. 

£1m doesn't get you strikers anymore at this level... surely the likes of Luton would take a punt at that...

Wigan probably need a striker a bit younger than Garner and with a bit more ability- in a technical sense- than what they have up front- ideal location if we decide to sell?

You could say similar in fact about Wright if we decide to sell and Watkins who I hope will be sold or shipped out- Barnsley, Luton, Portsmouth, Wigan all locations who maybe a useful fit- and more importantly who maybe interested.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I believe you are right.

Yup, agree. Lansdown is a bean counter.

1.) Sell for £350k...profit?

2.) Good pass in game v Man U..profit?

3.) Value of wages v profit contribution 18/19 season.... debatable ?

4.) Forecast for cost value in 19/20 against business plan...high risk.

No brainer in his eyes. Shame, cuz I like Matty?

27 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Taylor just doesnt score enough to justify one of the 4 striker places in the squad, and i would prefer sememyo get more time. We clearly need someone in who is a regular goal threat, whether that is assombalonga, or whoever

Is that based on Semenyo’s prolific goal scoring record in league football then..?! 

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I believe you are right.

Given we met a minimum fee release clause I doubt we would have offered a sell on, the effect of which would be to pay more than the minimum fee release clause if we were to profit. I suppose its conceivable his min release clause was £300k + 10% sell on, but seems incredibly unlikely. 

• Admin
16 hours ago, ncnsbcfc said:

Can only see CO'D being close to the door, would imagine the other two to still be with us next season

The one year extension will only be because that was agree probably on the same current terms meaning the club don't have to up their salaries at this time

I think people on here are overestimating the potential value of both Wright and Taylor, it would probably be more worth it to just keep them in the squad for a year and re-evaluate next season than to sell them off for a few 100ks and have to buy another squad player. 

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

If Eisa is £1.5m, then Taylor, who had a good record in Lg1, and despite his age, will definitely be worth that (imho).  Lower end Champ side may fancy the way he plays too.

If he’s still here at the end of the summer, I suspect it will be with a new contract.

Same for Wright.

Both their futures may be decided by who we recruit/ don’t recruit.

Nobody necessarily goes for their true value though with only a year left on their contract, anybody looking to buy either will be because they are only squad players and have a year left so they will be after a cut price deal. 

I hope we keep Wright. Obviously I hope we can resign Kalas and if we do BW can be back up. If we had that, along with keeping baker there can't be many teams in the championship with better back ups than us. Not sure why people want to get rid, strong squads win you promotion so it's important we have depth in key areas. 

Taylor needs replacing, I'd give that "4th choice" striker slot next year to Semenyo or Eisa. So either one of those will need to be loaned at. 

Whilst some our right these players aren't good enough to play 46 games and be a starter every week, they are good enough to have on the bench and be relied on when needed. 

16 hours ago, Lucan said:

Taylor will bring a few hundred thousand in at most.

So the question is, is he better off bring kept in as a backup?

Re; Taylor..i think that may be more value/sensible,certainly for next season....

Wright just not good enough & as for Watkins it's an odd one from the outset-'pointless.

One or two (or three) less 'clubs in the bag please & up the quality.

3 hours ago, marcofisher said:

I think people on here are overestimating the potential value of both Wright and Taylor, it would probably be more worth it to just keep them in the squad for a year and re-evaluate next season than to sell them off for a few 100ks and have to buy another squad player. 

Nobody necessarily goes for their true value though with only a year left on their contract, anybody looking to buy either will be because they are only squad players and have a year left so they will be after a cut price deal. 

Reid and Bryan fetched tidy sums in their final years. 

Agree with what you say about cost to recruit replacements, but I’m not sure we need to if Wright (Vyner / Moore) and Taylor (Semenyo /Eisa ?????) leave. 

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree with what you say about cost to recruit replacements, but I’m not sure we need to if Wright (Vyner / Moore) and Taylor (Semenyo /Eisa ?????) leave. 

Can you really compare Bryan and Reid to Taylor though? The first two were the top players in our team, and went to clubs higher up the football pyramid, such transfers will always cost more. Taylor, despite being talented, is not a player who we are going to sell to the Prem or another top championship team. He will more likely go to a bottom half championship/L1 club, who will be looking for a cut price deal. 

You are entirely correct with the replacement parts, although I do think we need to look to bring in one more top quality forward, with Semenyo as the 4th choice. Eisa needs to go out on loan I feel. 

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This debate highlights just how difficult it must be for LJ and his assistants to draw up a list of players they feel aren’t quite what they’ll need to push on next season. It’s has to be a really tough job especially letting those players know that they can move on.

That said, the squad will know that LJ will be strengthening the squad and some of them will undoubtedly feel that they are on the exit list.

We on here have views on who should go but none of us have all the relevant inner knowledge that LJ and the coaches have. All we make judgments on is what we see on a match day but there’s far more involved when it comes to deciding who to move on.

For example - we don’t know which type of players LJ is planning to sign. We can surmise of course but without actually knowing we’re at a serious disadvantage...........

So my limited view is that Taylor should stay and that Wright can move on........based entirely on what I’ve seen on the pitch,

55 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Can you really compare Bryan and Reid to Taylor though? The first two were the top players in our team, and went to clubs higher up the football pyramid, such transfers will always cost more. Taylor, despite being talented, is not a player who we are going to sell to the Prem or another top championship team. He will more likely go to a bottom half championship/L1 club, who will be looking for a cut price deal. 

You are entirely correct with the replacement parts, although I do think we need to look to bring in one more top quality forward, with Semenyo as the 4th choice. Eisa needs to go out on loan I feel. 

Yep, bad comparison. 

We defo need another striker. 

Archived